Christopher Walker
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Disclosure: I haven't played the game yet so this suggestion might not make sense. However, I'm excited to play the game soon so I'll put it out there.

It seems like people really enjoy keeping the suspense of the hidden identities. As soon as the aliens attack, though, that suspense goes away. Can it be maintained?

What if there was a damage deck that a player would draw from at certain times, both alien and human. On each card it would either say "no damage taken" or something, and the other results would be statements like "sounds of struggle recorded in sector XX" or "damage detected in sector XX". These attacks could also be interpreted thematically as steam pipes bursting through bulkheads in damaged corridors or falling catwalks, etc. These cards would have to be drawn at certain times, I don't know how.

Now, the human players would have to say truthfully what they read on the card. The aliens, however, would be able to lie and choose what sector they wanted to attack. This could keep the suspense up and allow players to maintain their suspicions about each other through the game. No one else would be allowed to look at the deck or the cards.

This is similar to the mechanic in The Resistance where the spies can choose to fail a mission or not, while the Resistance members must play a success card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first 3 games of this last night.

There isn't really "damage", as it's just kill or not, but I suppose you could make a variant where the characters have hit points.

One idea I thought of last night to keep the identity suspense going is that aliens can pretend to play item cards, they just wouldn't work for them. Since you can play sedatives and the other ones (adrenalines?) without other people knowing what they are, maybe the aliens could play any item card face down, pretending it's one of those two cards. It could also throw people off the path of the alien.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only had one opportunity to play the game, but I can honestly say that I had no problem with suspence, even after the humans and aliens were identified. The Blind Man's Bluff struggle to survive after the other humans were killed was more than enough to keep my pulse racing to the end of the game.

I wrote a shot session report that might give you a hint of how the game felt to me.
In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.