Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cwissy
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to have some clarification. If I'm understanding the rules, the first open quests you put out (with the shooting star icon) do NOT get bonus tokens, and the rest go back in the box. And when they are replenished at the beginning of a player's turn from the non-starter quest deck, they come out with a bonus token thereafter. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Soued
United States
Fountain Hills
Arizona
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cwissy--

Yes, you are understanding it correctly.

Thanks for your support!

Enjoy the game--Rick, for Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cwissy
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I figured as much. I like the idea of players having to decide between open quests with a small bonus versus taking care of their own quest(s) that yield penalties for not completing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a bit confused.

At the beginning of the game, you hand out 1 starter quest to each player, then put the rest of the starter quests back in the box.

Then the first two quests on the board are from the quest deck and they come out with a +1 bonus or they don't?

Tell me where I'm wrong, if I'm wrong, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:

At the beginning of the game, you hand out 1 starter quest to each player, then put the rest of the starter quests back in the box.

Then the first two quests on the board are from the quest deck and they come out with a +1 bonus or they don't?

To clarify, the first two Open Quests on the board are taken from the Starting Quest deck (with the Shooting Star symbols). Then put the rest of the Starting Quests back in the box. According to the rules, these initial Open Quests do not receive a +1 bonus, but you're welcome to add one if your group decides to, of course!

BTW--I like your avatar and username--Okami is brilliant and beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
okami31 wrote:

To clarify, the first two Open Quests on the board are taken from the Starting Quest deck (with the Shooting Star symbols). Then put the rest of the Starting Quests back in the box. According to the rules, these initial Open Quests do not receive a +1 bonus, but you're welcome to add one if your group decides to, of course!

BTW--I like your avatar and username--Okami is brilliant and beautiful!

Thanks for the clarification and the kind words! I'm ready to present the game to my family now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:

I have two questions about the section I've bolded above:

1. It's true that the rules about game set-up don't describe the +1 bonus token being included with the two initial Open Quests. But I find it confusing (and even arguably contradictory) that on page 9, when explaining what happens when completing a quest, the rules state: "Open Quests award a 1-Point Bonus token as well. This counts as one extra point towards the Quest Goal!" The Glossary also states that an Open Quest awards a +1 point bonus token when fulfilled.

Strictly speaking, this isn't entirely correct is it? After all, it doesn't at all apply to the two initial Open Quests. To be more precise, shouldn't the rules really have read as follows: "Except for the two initial Open Quests, Open Quests award a 1-Point Bonus token as well. This counts... etc"? Judging from another thread, it appears that we're not the first to find the current wording somewhat misleading on this point.

2. I'm curious about the rationale behind the two initial Open Quests not having the 1-point Bonus token. From the perspective of the game's design, what's the reason for these ones being treated differently from all the subsequent ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
2. I'm curious about the rationale behind the two initial Open Quests not having the 1-point Bonus token. From the perspective of the game's design, what's the reason for these ones being treated differently from all the subsequent ones?

I could pretend to have had a rigorously thought-out rationale here, like "since the first two Quests are single-point values, they don't get a bonus." But the truth of the matter is...... I simply forgot to include it in the rulebook. modest So currently the "official" way to play is NOT to include +1 tokens during setup. In our house, we still do include them. The game works fine either way, but we prefer to play with bonuses on all Open Quests. Sorry for the confusion--it's my fault entirely.

As always, play to your taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops
blush
I've been playing that wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
EndersGame wrote:

I could pretend to have had a rigorously thought-out rationale here, like "since the first two Quests are single-point values, they don't get a bonus." But the truth of the matter is...... I simply forgot to include it in the rulebook. modest So currently the "official" way to play is NOT to include +1 tokens during setup. In our house, we still do include them. The game works fine either way, but we prefer to play with bonuses on all Open Quests. Sorry for the confusion--it's my fault entirely.

Thanks for the reply Alf.

If this is the case, it looks like you may need to include this in your list of errata regardless. Either what the rules say about set-up needs to be changed (to include mention of adding the +1 tokens), or what the rules say about open quests needs to be changed (to include mention of the exception that the +1 tokens aren't earned for the initial two quests).

Since it was your original intention to play that way, and since the game is more internally consistent that way, I'd personally favour errata in which the +1 tokens are included for the two open quests placed during set-up.

Is the current errata file (released 7 October 2012) fairly up-to-date, or have other corrections or clarifications to the rules been made since then?

Update: The rules of the new rucksack edition of Fantastiqa (2014) do state that at setup a +1 Bonus Token is added to Open Quests. This clarification is described by Alf as applicable to the enchanted edition also. Details here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.