Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion:

This is what I would call a "classic" Euro. Even though it has nicer bits than some Euros, the game is very dry and it feels like you are just pushing the components around. This is a game that might be good enough for some to keep, but you won't pull it off the shelf much. The game is middle of the road when compared to other games.

I can't see someone having this on their shelf and having to pull it down to play all the time (although I know someone will comment on here and say they do just that). The game has good mechanics, very good bits for a Euro, but the game is bone dry. This will appeal to some; usually I'm included. Yet, I'm at the point now where a game has to have more than just good mechanics and a pasted on theme. Too many very good games and there is not always room for a game like this anymore.

Components:

The components are pretty nice for a Euro game. The tiles are these weird spirals, but the art work is nice on it. Most of the bits are nice wooden pieces and make up huts and tribes. You get 18 playing cards of good quality and have nice art work (although nothing stands out). The Holy Place Markers are of good quality and the wood and stones are actual wood and stones (imagine that!).

All the bits are high quality and do the game justice.

Rule Book:

The rule book is a classic Phalanx Games rules. The instructions are clear and matter of fact. They do a good job explaining the rules and the rules do not have an a lot of extra rules. They seem to be very streamlined. The examples are very good and plentiful.

Flow of the Game:

The goal of the game is to deliver your offerings to the temple (you have four).

I'm going to go in less detail than I normally do as I just do not feel like typing out all the finer points of the games. In general, you go through the following phases:

1. Move your tribes (you get 5 movement points to spend) - During this phase you can carry/steal resources, include build temples, make offering, discover new lands
2. Conduct Actions - build huts, erect holy place, population growth, draw a card. You can only choose one action, but you can do that one action as many times as allowable (usually limited by resources)
3. Gain Mana - (I'm not going to explain how, but it is from your decisions in phase 1 and 2).

You continue to make these decisions (via the 3 phases) until someone gets 4 offerings to the temple field.

Should I buy this game?:

Perhaps when it was released, this was a game people would love. Instead, I think it is a game you might like okay when you play, but you will instantly forget it after playing (yet, you did enjoy it alright). This is a bland, dry Euro that you have seen quite a few times before.

The pros are the components are very good, it is very easy to teach and play the game. It is nice to have a game not weighed down by too many rules. In the end, this game is for hard core Euro players who might be looking for an older game. Personally, I think you can do better.

*As a side note, I love Euro games.

This is a purge for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Glave
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a keep for me. It is an easy to learn and easy to teach, enjoyable experience with great components. I agree with you that it is not a a game that will grip serious board gamers, but I can play it with my family and lighter crowds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawog wrote:
It is a keep for me. It is an easy to learn and easy to teach, enjoyable experience with great components. I agree with you that it is not a a game that will grip serious board gamers, but I can play it with my family and lighter crowds.

I felt the same way. Yet, nothing really stuck out to me about the game. If I was teaching a new gamer, not sure I would ever pull this game out. Too dry. I can see the appeal, but with hundreds of good to great games, it just didn't make the cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a few times more, I have some more comments:

1. This game is growing on me... a little.

2. It still doesn't stand out as a true classic and is a little bland.

3. The game play is very tight, even though I was out of the game early, I still "almost" win every time.

4. This is a good Euro. I might have been too harsh on it. I'm not sure it will bring you back to table, but after each play it gets better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mesopotamia didn't survive when I purged some games 18 months ago. It is in many respects a fine euro game...fairly decent but far from outstanding compared to many other games. It is neither terrible nor very good, it sits in that mediocre middle ground that many games seem to inhibit. With limited shelf space available, it lost its place as it just wasn't different enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:
Mesopotamia didn't survive when I purged some games 18 months ago. It is in many respects a fine euro game...fairly decent but far from outstanding compared to many other games. It is neither terrible nor very good, it sits in that mediocre middle ground that many games seem to inhibit. With limited shelf space available, it lost its place as it just wasn't different enough.

As I am going through a huge purge right now, I don't believe it will make the next keep pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.