Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can get either for roughly 20 bucks, and am wondering which would be best to play with my wife and kids (8/6)

I kinda feel like the perfect racing game doesn't quite exist yet.

Is there a combat variant for formula de?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stellato
United States
Grafton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daytona 500 isn't really a "pure" racing game. It has an auction element that you use to bid on cars to win money. Winning the race is secondary to making the most money from bidding astutely.

Do you think your family would like playing an auction game? If so, then I would heartily recommend Daytona 500.

If you're looking for a combat car game, I don't think you can go wrong with Battlecars. You can get it pretty cheap on ebay and it's easy and fun. I think your kids would get a kick out of outfitting their cars for combat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it really depends on if you are seeking a race simulation, or a race mechanic. Formula De is a race sim (sort of). Daytona 500 is a race game (the auctions are equally as important). Another good race game is Mississippi Queen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned and played both quite a few times. Formula de Mini is more luck based due to die rolls, while Daytona 500 is more strategic--auction: how high will you go for which cars based on cards in your hand, and when to play which cards--I kept Daytona 500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can you get Daytona for $20? I've been looking for a copy for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I saw one go on ebay, shipped, for $19 recently, although a Canadian BGG-er said that US sellers charge a lot to ship up north. I am in Utah.

There is a copy on Ebay now that is missing three cars and one card.

I just saw the (relatively) low score of Formula De Mini and thought that a little light combat might spice it up is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are also 8 & 6 and I don't use the auction with Daytona 500. I just let them look at their hands and pick cars in order of their age. That seems to level the playing field a bit, since I have to make due with what's left over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A combat variant?
Maybe you should look into Arena Maximus.
Race Day is a new collectible ( gasp! ) race game from Wizkidsgames. No combat though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Dreyer
Denmark
2500 Valby
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Das Motorsportspiel. It's a pure racing game, where you will get stressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I traded for Daytona 500 and would recommend it in a heartbeat. A GREAT game that's just amazingly fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moyet wrote:
Don't forget Das Motorsportspiel. It's a pure racing game, where you will get stressed.

Oooh, somehow I overlooked this. OOP, but there are rules and tracks online at the yahoo group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
OOP, but there are rules and tracks online at the yahoo group.

Not OOP. Available here:

http://www.immobilien-wiesbaden.de/shop/index.php3?id=177296...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good to know. Looks like it is 47-58 US dollars. I shudder to think what shipping from Germany is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.