Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about jumping into this system with the FFG sale, where should I start?

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/client/client_pages/sale...

I notice a lot of the WWI planes are sold out, so maybe like just 4-5 planes that I could use with Fire from the Sky? Are all the WWII planes mostly balanced? Is four enough? Will I need anything else?

Fire in the Sky and Watch Your Back are both "base sets" right? Would the 4 WWI planes that are still in stock be good?

Finally, are there any blister packs in that sale that would be good with Fits or WYB?

Not sure where to start with all this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few quick notes that might help:

1. The systems differ between the two. Check those out and then if it doesn't matter, go with the era that appeals most to you.

2. The mini's for WW1 that remain are OK, but are the slower two seaters. If you were using only those you can have some fun, but the game really shines with more variety. If you don't mind using cards until you get some of the newer Wings of Glory stuff (or track down more OOP WW1 minis), some of the card packs are dirt cheap.

3. WW2 right now, with the sale, gives you a lot to choose from. If you can't just buy one of everything remaining, at least grab a few zeros and f-4s to get you started, and maybe a D3A1 for added variety and to keep things in the PTO.

For WW2, Wave 1 included Spitfires vs. BF109s, and F-4s vs. Zeros (BF109s are difficult to find, but most of the others are still fairly common).

Wave 2 included the Japanese D3A1s and German Ju.87 Junkers along with Hurricanes and D.520s, so fighters for the allies and dive bomber types for the Axis, not exactly a perfect pairing but good none the less for adding variety to dogfights and scenarios.

Now with WW2 there's another wave released for Wings of Glory WW2, and the big bombers (B-25s and HE.111s).

Back to WW1, the new stuff is the early era stuff that can be fun and there are some big bombers too, but it'll be a little wait for the more iconic mainstream fighters that will be rolling out later this year/early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped on the sale the evening they announced it, and was sad to see all the Messerschmitts were already sold out in the first few hours. I already own everything for WWI, and had held off on WWII, but the sale tipped the scales and had me buy up Fire From The Sky and a few planes to get started. My first love will always be WWI, but I like the speed mechanics from the WWII planes, so perhaps it will ignite another collection obsession. I'm already at 40+ WWI planes, with more Wings of Glory early era kits on the way. My display case is about to burst!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lugburz wrote:
I jumped on the sale the evening they announced it, and was sad to see all the Messerschmitts were already sold out in the first few hours.

Don't feel too bad about the Messerschmitts! Those were sold out from the sale last year. I'd be really surprised if they put up more for the sale since their site, when I would spot check it over the course of the year, would continue to note them as being sold out. Just keep checking different places, they'll turn up now and then. Here are several places I saw a few recently (but they may be gone now):

miniaturemarket.com
thewarstore.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm missing the one with the yellow nose, but I found the other two on Noble Knight. I'll check those links. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lugburz wrote:
I'm missing the one with the yellow nose, but I found the other two on Noble Knight. I'll check those links. Thanks!

I believe that's the rarest one of the entire WW2 series. I had a chance to grab a few around January but held the order so some friends could take advantage of free s/h and lost out (seems to happen a lot, I guess I shouldn't be so nice!).

Then out of the blue The War Store had some special and I was glancing through and saw it as being in stock (hadn't seen it there before since a year prior). I figured it was wrong, placed an order for 3 anyway (one for me and the other two for friends) and as luck would have it I got one at least but I'm perfectly happy with that!

Hopefully you find one too at a great price, good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No luck at either link. It's ok. I was still able to get 2 of 3 Messerschmitts. I can only hope Andrea re-releases them for Wings of Glory. More than anything, I'm only keen on collecting planes from the European theater, so the Messrschmitts were the only Nexus models that truly fit the "fighter" category (as opposed to the Stukas).

As for the WWI line, I have 2 of every plane model released by Nexus / Ares (with the Fokker Dv II being the only exception - I've only got Goering). Both balloons and all 4 bombers cost a bundle even buying them piece meal upon release. It's pricey enough to snag 2 of every model, much less 3!

I doubt I will collect loads of the WWII material, but I'm off to a good start for a 6 player game thanks to the Fantasy Flight sale! Best "gift to myself" so far this season
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WW2 reprints will come slower than the very soon appearing WW1 ones... But we will have Messerschmitt again.

As far as German fighters are concerned, Bf.110 is coming in February:
http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products
Fw.190D will folloow soon.
Then the 109.
For the moment, for Axis in Europe/Mediterranean you also have the Reggiane 2001, and the Fiat Cr.42 will come in February (one in German colors too). The Devoitine 520 in Italian colors operated in Italy, while the one with red/yellow stripes was a French plane on the Axis side (operanting in Syria and North Africa).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want top play with minis, do not pick up the blisters. The blisters are the card equivalent to plane miniatures. You will need at least a base game box or a deluxe set or the rules and accessories pack of Wings of Glory for the appropriate era - these contain rulers and damage decks. Movement cards come with the minis.

For WW2, there are more remaining minis from Wings of War on the market. WW1 seems to be more popular and was easier to find when it was still in print and probably will be easier to find again once Wings of Glory is expanded more and more. (Wings of War and Wings of Glory are fully compatible). (This may be specific for the German market where a WW2 theme is more difficult to sell!)

The difference between the WW1 base games is the damage deck that is included. There are, of course, also different plane cards, but you will replace the planes by minis soon, so this does not matter much.

Famous Aces has WW1 fighters with heavy damage deck A.
Watch Your Back has two-seaters with low damage deck B.
Burning Drachens has only cards for two planes and IIRC damage decks A, C and D. C and D are special damage for rockets and ground fire and are rarely used.
Deluxe sets have both, A and B damage.

A damage is about twice as strong as B, so you can use 1/2 A for a B or 2Bs for an A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Side tangent: How do the Wings of Glory damage decks stack up against those from Wings of War [in respect to damage points / effects]? I really like the WoG design scheme, and I've recently redesigned how I store my flight decks to incorporate the new WoG rules/supply box. In the past, I mixed two B damage decks and two A damage decks from Wings of War, so comparing them against the new decks is kind of hard.

Andrea, if you're reading this, I'm sure you've already fielded this question but I can't find it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are identical!

If you ever want to separate mixed decks, there are very tiny numbers in a corner to help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now that FFG has extended their sale, I might just have to get a few of these minis...

So if I'm on a budget and want to get into the WWII system cheaply, I'd need:

Fire from the Sky for the damage decks and system markers and stuff.

And then for 6 players I could get 3 zeros and 3 f4s (with maybe a 7th D3A1 to switch out for a zero if I want to add a bomber?)

Is the standard game to just put 3 f4s on one side, 3 zeroes on the other and then say "fight!"?

I played the game once like 5 years ago and liked it, but I think that was just a big free for all scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, there are only two models of F-4 left in the FFG sale...and one has british markings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thrasymachus wrote:
Is the standard game to just put 3 f4s on one side, 3 zeroes on the other and then say "fight!"?

Yes it would.

thrasymachus wrote:
I played the game once like 5 years ago and liked it, but I think that was just a big free for all scenario?

Usually you play in two sides.

You could maybe get three of Galer's planes and change the number 1 on the fuselage, scraping the decals and replacing them with transferable white numbers or painting them to form a squadron...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I guess I could use 3 of the same one...dang...there goes another $50 to ffg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.