Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is,I wish I would have listened to all these people locally and here on BGG and bought this long ago. I just put it off as im more attracted to what I guess people like to call "Ameritrash" type game's and just looking at the box I had the attitude of "Wow it must be fun collecting sticks and stones,,,,I'll Pass!" But I was wrong!

The game was a big hit with my family "well 3 out of 4 of us,my son was at the grandmothers,so we'll see how it goes for him" But what blew me away was that my 9yr old daughter really had a good grasp of it and by the end of the game had it down and was learning good math skills as we played.

Well enough of me going on about how much fun I had tonight playing a new type of game,Im wondering what else might fit in well with us since Stone Age was such a hit with us?

I loved everything about this game from the complexity level to the components. If I had to say anything negative about it,I would say it was just a very Slight bit longer than we liked but then again it was hard to tell how long the actual game took as we would joke and taunt and my daughter would like to name all the babies that was produced from the love hut,lol

So now that my eye's are open and im willing to try new game's similar to Stone Age let me know what I been missing,BTW would this be considered a Euro or a Worker Placement or both? From my brief search I seen Kingsburg come up a lot and is compared to each other,are these games to similar or would it fit right in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is a euro worker placement through and through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ho ho, welcome to Euroworld! Stone Age is great, and it'll get faster the more you play it.

A couple of other fun (and shorter) games are:

Kingdom Builder, and

Mammut

Here's a geeklist of the Top 100 Euros, although a lot of these would be heavier than a 9-year-old would enjoy I'd imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is definitely a Euro of the Worker Placement variety.

Kingsburg is certainly an option (if you do get it, most say the expansion is essential), but I think Alien Frontiers is a more interesting game of the same ilk. If possible, find a way to try them out before buying.

Judging by your collection, I'd say Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, and Dominion are the classic recommendations that many have in their gaming libraries -- or at the very least had cut their teeth on.

After that, perhaps Alhambra and Thurn and Taxis would be appealing as well.

There's also two games I'm not that big a fan of, but I'm definitely in the minority opinion on these as they are very highly rated family games: 7 Wonders and Small World.

+1 to the Kingdom Builder recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Fresco and Kingdom of Solomon.

Both are about the same weight/difficulry and have some simmilarities, but also some new aspects in game play, so it´s more than just Stone Age with a different theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In fact, the yearly Holiday Gift Guide is usually a good place to start when trying to round out a collection (many of the suggestions here will be found on this list):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Board_Game_Gift_Guide...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parchman
United States
Henderson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is a worker placement game but wouldn't really compare it to Stone Age. They both have dice but the dice are the workers in Kingsburg. I would consider it a gateway game. Your 9 year old daughter would be able to grasp the concept of the game easily.

I know that you didn't ask about this game but Lords of Waterdeep is also a good gateway worker placement game. Again, your childern would be able to play the game easily and enjoy it. I think that you would get more plays out of this one than Kingsburg, before it starts to get old. I can see where after several plays of Kingsburg you would need to get the expansion in order for the game not to get old.

This is just my opinion. Kingsburg is still a great game to play just not one that you will want to hit the table all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find The Pillars of the Earth a nice worker placement game, although it could be considered a little heavier than stone age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra
Rheinlander
Jamaica
Yspahan
Mexica
Samurai
Tikal
Show Manager
Beowulf: The Legend
Blue Moon City
Princes of Florence
In The Year of the Dragon
Dream Factory
Pergamon
Factory Fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame. This didn't strike me that it would be good until I played it. It features a "the more you pick this action the stronger it gets" kind of worker placement kind of vibe.

The Castles of Burgundy. I thought this would rock and boy did it ever. There are lots of ways to get points. You can combo and get points a few times in the same turn. I can't describe it exactly, but it feels positive and generous yet restrained enough to be competitive overall. It is great.

Race for the Galaxy. This features multiple strategies. In the beginning, if you play as a beginner with a beginner, you can gradually get better at playing together and the game feels very big. At the start it also feels like you have a lot of freedom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan. Great family game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:

I gotta warn you about Settlers of Catan. Settlers can be very frustrating when your numbers don't come up. In Stone Age, you almost always get something on your turn because of how many dice are rolled and how the dice are used. But there will be many turns in Settlers where you get nothing. Settlers can also drag on and on. Children could easily lose patience. I have to agree with a couple of posts above and say some very good next steps are

Fresco (Perhaps the best recommendation of all since the game includes 3 modules that can be added to the game to vary the difficulty. The game without the modules is quite simple and very family friendly, but as the modules are added, the complexity goes up).

Kingdom Builder

Pillars of the Earth is good, but you may feel its not different enough from Stone Age.

Airlines Europe

Tobago

Also, be aware that many of the games suggested in above posts are good, but many did not read your entire post to see that a 9 yr old is involved. Many of those games, though good, would be too much for a 9 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to hear about people discovering Stone Age! It's one of my favorites. Here's a couple that give me the same worker placement feeling while playing them.

Pillars of the Earth
Glen Drover's Empires : Age of Discovery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is currently sitting in my "secret cupboard" as a Christmas present to the family. I really can't wait to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
pfctsqr wrote:
Also, be aware that many of the games suggested in above posts are good, but many did not read your entire post to see that a 9 yr old is involved. Many of those games, though good, would be too much for a 9 year old.

Agreed. While I love Race for the Galaxy, I think it would be very difficult for young children to understand well enough to actually play. I mean, this is a game that turns off a lot of adults because of the steep learning curve. Sorry, Leonard.

I was going to recommend Tobago as well, but I see you already own it.

I'm surprised you haven't played Dominion. Another one you've been putting off? You should definitely check it out. While it's not worker placement, it is a fantastic Euro (some say it's hybrid, but whatever). The gameplay is very easy to learn, yet the strategy is deeper than it first appears. This is a great game that is worth the hype.

You also might want to look at Glen More. It's a cool tile laying game with some interesting aspects of tile selection/turn order and resource management as well. I think it would be easy enough for a 9-year-old to grasp, especially one who is into games. Part of the game revolves around whisky production, though, so I don't know if you're down with your 9-year-old opening up a distillery or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Tariff wrote:

I gotta warn you about Settlers of Catan. Settlers can be very frustrating when your numbers don't come up. In Stone Age, you almost always get something on your turn because of how many dice are rolled and how the dice are used. But there will be many turns in Settlers where you get nothing. Settlers can also drag on and on. Children could easily lose patience. I have to agree with a couple of posts above and say some very good next steps are

THE WELFARE VARIANT: Every turn you don't get a resource and the robber hasn't been rolled, you get a token. Tokens can't be stolen, traded or halved. On your turn you can trade in a number of tokens equal to the number of victory points you have on the board (no VP cards, longest road/biggest army count). The better you do, the less help these tokens give.
This speeds up the game, especially at the beginning, gives you more choices (you can afford to build to block instead of maximising production) and greatly reduces the effect of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been done above, I have to recommend Lords of Waterdeep to you. The theme is very thin, but you might like it if you are an AT guy like myself. I stayed away from this awhile for that reason, but I found I enjoyed it immensely after jumping in. It has the same lightness and ease of play as Stone Age; it's not consuming in the way that can make one tired afterwards. I prefer it to Stone Age, actually, because I feel that my options expand as the game goes on, making the game build slightly as it goes. While I do like Stone Age, one criticism that has some merit that is that the last turn isn't much different from the first.

By the way, I'm an AT gamer who is starting to appreciate Euro elements myself and have loved Cyclades, Chaos in the Old World (not a family game!), and Race for the Galaxy (not as much fun for most kiddies as has been said). These aren't the games you're looking for right now, but come on in later, the water's fine! Now back to Mage Knight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Light Side!

Worker placement is just one of many common mechanics found in Euros. Don't get too attached to it. The good thing about Euros is that you may have a lot of diversity in your collection. Just avoid the heavier stuff with your family. In any case, I don't think there is a game that is much similar to Stone Age.

Here are some of my favorite family/gateway games besides Stone Age, in no particular order:

Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers (similar in theme and the best Carcassonne game)
Blue Moon City
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Dream Factory
Tower of Babel
Ad Astra
Small World
Asara
A Castle for All Seasons
Dragonland
Kingdom Builder
O Zoo le Mio
Through the Desert
Vikings

You may also want to search for geeklists containing the word "gateway" in the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffyevil wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Tariff wrote:

THE WELFARE VARIANT: Every turn you don't get a resource and the robber hasn't been rolled, you get a token. Tokens can't be stolen, traded or halved. On your turn you can trade in a number of tokens equal to the number of victory points you have on the board (no VP cards, longest road/biggest army count). The better you do, the less help these tokens give.
This speeds up the game, especially at the beginning, gives you more choices (you can afford to build to block instead of maximising production) and greatly reduces the effect of luck.

Settlers of America is also better in this respect because you get a gold if you didn't get any resources (and no robber was rolled); you can buy one resource for 2 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Settlers of America is also better in this respect because you get a gold if you didn't get any resources (and no robber was rolled); you can buy one resource for 2 gold.

But it's way too long for these people, who say that Stone Age is already too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you loved Stone Age, you may have similar taste to mine in board games. I think Stone Age hits a nice balance and is a rewarding experience. I have 22 games that I rate higher than an 8. Here they are in order of my rating

Here's are my top rated games:
1) Agricola - I would recommend that you consider this. Just don't be overwhelmed when you first pull it out.
2) Puerto Rico - Great game. A bit of a learning curve, but its fun to "discover" the strategies and tactics together.
3) Stone Age I like the hidden card scoring at the end of the game. We'll balanced worker placement. I like how cards can influence your strategy....and your strategy influences which cards you pick up.
4) Citadels - I've introduced this to several teens and without exception, they've loved it.
5) Kingsburg - I think this is a must own for a family gaming. The board is beautiful. It's a drawing of 18 different people, each with their own personality....you roll dice to see which of the 18 you can influence on your turn. If you like Stone Age, you'll like Kingsburg. In stone age you figure out how many dice to allocate and then roll to see what you get....in Kingsburg you roll and then evaluate the various things that your roll can do for you...it's a variation on a theme. My 14 year old son said "Kingsburg is my favorite game" last week.
6) Lords of Waterdeep - Fun worker placement. I'd recommend it highly.
7) Ticket to Ride - Great game.
8) Chess - not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.
9) Endeavor - Great game. Fun decisions.
10) Settlers of Catan - There's a reason this one is a classic. The card aspect makes it fun. The trading provides some good interaction. As does the thief.
11) Tikal - We had a blast with this for a while.
12) Flash Point Fire Rescue - Great co-op game.
13) Bohnanza - great card game for the family environment. Gamers and non-gamers alike will have a blast in this bean-trading game.
14) King of Tokyo - Fun romp....
15) Railways of the World - Great Train Game.
16) Jaipur - great 2P card game.
17) Dominion - quick, fun deck building game....recommended.
18) The Princes of Florence
19) Carcassonne - the father of games with tiles with Meeples.
20) Dixit - Apple to Apples killer. Similar gaming experience, but more rewarding and creative IMO.
21) Mr Jack Pocket
22) Alhambra - kinda like carcassonne, but you build you own private area (not a common city). Also, you 'buy' your tiles, rather than just a random draw...so each turn you decide whether you'll buy a tile, or collect more money. Also, you score by having more tiles of a certain color in your city...not by placing meeples on the common city.

Add'l games that I have ordered for Christmas (based on videos I've watched here on BGG):
Airlines Europe
Glen More
Biblios
The expansion for Kingsburg

Happy Gaming.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would skip Kingsburg personally, you certainly need the expansion or the game is solved (and quite easily by analytical players, not looking stuff up).

Alien Frontiers and Agricola would be my top recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age and Ra are my "go to" games for introducing games to interested non-gamers. They introduce concepts that are central to games I like.

Stone Age introduces victory points, worker placement, and decision tension (i.e. you want to do more than you're able).

Ra introduces victory points, auctions, and variable benefits (i.e. short vs long term planning).

Both play in a reasonable amount of time (Ra is a little shorter.) Both have a fair amount of depth, so they're more interesting to me than other "gateway" games. I'm never reluctant to play these games, so I don't mind if the group wants to revisit it over and over again.

Highly recommend both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg looks appealing,but I know my wife likes to play all these farm type games on her iphone,so I was thinking Agricola? I just got stone age and shouldnt be ready for another game yet but we just had a barnes and noble coupon emailed to us for 30% off plus were a member to their club thing for a additional 10%,So at 40% I dont know if I can refuse.
I know they have lords of waterdeep,and agricola im not sure about what else but they have a pretty good selection.
I guess we'll go see what they got but How would you rate a 2 player game in Agricola? and looking on the summary section it looks like it is rated pretty high in the complexity level at a 3.6? Really that much to learn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is a big step up. It rewards you in depth and replayability, but it asks much more from you by way of learning curve and mental investment per session than does Stone Age. The tone is also one of oppressive urgency moreso than with Stone Age. You might enjoy it, but I think it might feel like going from high school, skipping college and going straight to graduate school! More power to you if you decide to tackle it knowing this - it's a modern classic! I'd just research it a bit on the game page first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.