Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Games we play Stone Age,Hansa Teutonica , Civilization, Imperial 2030, Ghost Stories , Pandemic(with Addon), El-Grande, King of Tokyo, Troyes, Agircola

Game we all universally hate - 7 Wonders.

Idiotic Question

I remember playing Wabash Cannonball on friend's iPhone 2 years back & remember liking it.

Advisable game to buy ? (pls look at my collection as well)

We like games with strategy
We like games with interaction
I like games which finish under 2.5-3 hours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb

sure. Have you tried Airlines Europe ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Airline Europe looks like it depends a lot on luck. won't it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Airlines Europe to Chicago Express is like Stone Age to Agricola. They're leagues apart in my opinion. Personally I find AE to be a slow, dull game and I'd play Acquire or TTR over it any day. On the plus side the plastics aeroplanes are awesome.

CE will play in 1-1.5 hr depending on your group and number of players but isn't short of tough decisions. There's about as much math as power grid so you'll have a fair amount to calculate. It's also not a family style game like AE as you can really screw with your opponents.

From the games you play I'd say CE is a good choice. It would help if you rated and commented on your games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
prashantmaheshwari wrote:
Airline Europe looks like it depends a lot on luck. won't it ?

The random element are the stocks on display and timing of the scoring cards and how that is affected by turn order. So there is some but most of it can be mitigated through sensible play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Chicago Express be a good fit for my group?

Why not? Or look at the better option, that is American Rails. Note that you need to provide your own money for the game, best if you have poker chips.

Agreed with Stuart on the luck in Airlines Europe. Plus, it's what makes the game quick and interesting, even with 6 players. AE is pretty light for you taste IMO. Have a look at Steam (or Age of Steam for a more nasty game).

Others that you might like, Silverton, First Train to Nuremberg and Brass: Lancashire.

Regards

p/s games suggested based on the like of transportation and shares, since I don't know what you're looking at in Chicago Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We like games with strategy thumbsup
We like games with interaction thumbsup
I like games which finish under 2.5-3 hours thumbsup

I think Chicago Express will be a win for you on all those criteria. In terms of packing a lot of game into a short playing time, Chicago Express is bursting at the seams.

Lots of interesting tactical and strategy choices, loads of player interaction, from direct competition to temporary alliances, and all playable in under 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games we play Stone Age,Hansa Teutonica , Civilization, Imperial 2030, Ghost Stories , Pandemic(with Addon), El-Grande, King of Tokyo, Troyes, Agircola

Game we all universally hate - 7 Wonders.

Tough to say for me, as you didn't mention any auction games. Chicago Express is almost a pure auction game. The track-laying is really secondary...all of the trains go in the same direction, so it's not like there's a whole lot of diversity in that area from game to game (though there's some).

Some groups I've played with that like deep strategy games fall down when they have to start working with money and worry about dollar-math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the question for me would be the replay factor. I like CE, but only in small doses. It is not a game that I would want to play on a regular basis as the strategy seems to be fairly cut and dry due to the fact the starting locations are set and the starting order. I enjoy it, but I would say in just about every game we have played they all start with the exact same moves. There is a battle over red. Red builds to Pittsburgh and then the game develops from there. If the others in the game don't thwart red early it can be hard to beat the people with red. CE for me falls into that category of game that is good enough that you will play it if someone suggests it, but not good enough that everyone always asks to play it. I think in the past 3 years we have played it 4 times, and 2 of those was in the same night as we wanted to see what happened when you stopped red from being effective.

Personally I would take Power Grid over CE any day. If you only have the base game of PG I would invest in the other expansion maps before CE. Personally I feel there are other games out there that are better for what you are looking for than CE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jwoodall wrote:
Chicago Express is much better than AE.

Thank you guys for recommendation. BTW we do play Powergrid & love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think PG has similarities to CE. Both games have similar auctions (though the metagame of the auction is more strategic in CE), and both games have an endgame that you have to keep in mind the whole time (ie with CE it's stop spending money and make sure you have the most at game end, and with PG it's be able to power the most cities so make sure your resources are up to snuff).

Overall, PG and CE are quite different, as there is lots of negotiation going on in CE while PG has more complexity and layers in its math. I think your group will enjoy it, although I've had a few sessions that were less than satisfying. Totally depends on the group and experience improves with replaying it as deeper strategies are uncovered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One thing that puts CE above PG in my opinion is that CE offers a much deeper level of player interactivity.

The interactivity in PG is restricted to city blocking, outbidding on power plants, forcing up the price of commodities, and affecting the timing of phases.

CE adds to all this by creating many situations where you can create and affect alliances between players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although this is a lot later than expected, but I managed to get two plays out of Chicago express and oh my , the game is excellent. Very Very tight and after 2 game play , I feel I've just seen the tip of the iceberg , both games got over in under 1 hour each .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great to hear. I own the game myself and really enjoy playing it as well. So that's another random +1 from a random BGGer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.