Subject: New to carrom and have a few questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Ley
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello. I just discovered carrom. I have a 9 year old son that I am hoping will really like the game. I bought a synco sellora board from an Indian grocery store. I figured we should start out on a cheaper board and then upgrade if we play a lot. The board came with some wooden men and a strikers. The board seems ok. I don't have anything to compare it to though. I can only get three rebounds when I flick the strikers hard. I am using potato starch as my powder. My first question is, will buying a heavier striker make the gameplay faster or will.the cheaper boards not handle a heavy striker well? Also do the boards get faster the more they are used? Also will better coins make a difference? Thanks for any advice on getting the most out of my board.
Is it harder to play on the faster better boards as a beginner? Are the cheap boards marketed as beginner boards simply because they cost less or is it also because the game is harder on the better faster boards?
Other than billiboards where can these boards be bought online in the us? Ate there any good American made boards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
GodinSession wrote:
Hello.

Hi

GodinSession wrote:

I can only get three rebounds when I flick the strikers hard. I am using potato starch as my powder. My first question is, will buying a heavier striker make the gameplay faster or will.the cheaper boards not handle a heavy striker well? Also do the boards get faster the more they are used?

Three rebounds is not bad. I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I think that the good boards get you 3,5-4 rebounds. I would recommend buying powder specific for carrom - we also at first used potato starch but playing on real powder is more enjoyable (and it's possible you'll get half a rebound more ). What striker do you have? Most people like to play with the heaviest 15 gram strikers. If you have a lighter one than 12 gram you should buy a new one, if not than it's not essential. There won't be a problem that a heavier striker will not interact with your board well. And yes, the board should get a bit faster after being used.

GodinSession wrote:
Is it harder to play on the faster better boards as a beginner? Are the cheap boards marketed as beginner boards simply because they cost less or is it also because the game is harder on the better faster boards?

There are different opinions on this but for me from the beginning the faster the board was the easier it was to play (except a strange experience when playing on a board that gave 6-7 rebounds)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ley
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Great. Thanks for the info. The striker I have seems very light so I will order a new one for sure.

I was given some surco carrom powder when I bought the board but was unsure how much to put on. I may have put to much on, not sure. It did not seem to work very well. I was also worried that it was boric acid so I did not want to use it as I will be playing primarily with my kids.

Do you have any recommendations where to.get a striker from other than billiboards in the us?
How about the men? I am sure the ones I got are low grade. They are wooden not plastic but I am guessing are low level. Would it make much of a difference getting different men?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex English
United States
Chesterland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I am interested in getting into carrom as well. Is there an issue with billiboards? You have mentioned you don't want to order from them several times, and it looks like the only place I could find to order a decent looking board.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ley
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Alex no issues at all with billiboards. In fact I ordered a striker and dvd from billiboards. I just wanted to know of other places to buy carrom stuff for comparative shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.