Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody!

I read a lot about the Mage Knight board game in the last weeks and how great it is. Now I am really curious about it and want to buy it. But I have concerns that it might not be the game, that I want it to be. Normaly I like to play full cooperative games like Arkham Horror, Gears of War, Lord of the Rings: the Cardgame and so on. Do you think the cooperative scenario fits my standards or is Mage Knight best with the competitive game mode? Please tell me!

Sincerly,
FAAx87

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The one time we played the cooperative game, we didn't like it very much. The game is arguably best in solitaire mode, and whether you play it with others in co-op or competitive mode, the solitaire feeling stays with it. So in co-op mode, you're not really cooperating on anything - there's no real way you can help each other - you're just... not competing.

The expansion may contain scenarios that improve the co-op experience, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia -> Poznań
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer competetive mode in Mage Knight, but only a little bit.
Mage Knight - even in competetive scenarios - is mostly players vs enviroment not player vs player (except very competetive ones). And this is hard game (and you can easly adjust difficulty).

Cooperation in game generally is not to cross each others paths, divide tasks and in the end fight against common foe - there is no trading beetween players, no healing each other etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gewar wrote:
I prefer competetive mode in Mage Knight, but only a little bit.
Mage Knight - even in competetive scenarios - is mostly players vs enviroment not player vs player (except very competetive ones). And this is hard game (and you can easly adjust difficulty).

Cooperation in game generally is not to cross each others paths, divide tasks and in the end fight against common foe - there is no trading beetween players, no healing each other etc.

I much prefer the cooperative to the competitive mode. Mage Knight is about puzzling the pieces to get the most out of your resources, and coop is about doing that with more characters.

There is less interaction than in the other games you mention (though the expansion is about to bring a bit more), but I don't think it lacks interaction. The games we have played have been full of discussions about who goes where, how to best utilize the source and how to divide and cooperatively assault the cities so we could get them all done in time.

In other words: Yes, Mage Knight is very good for cooperative play, and I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have only played Mage Knight solo and co-operative. Playing it co-operatively "fixes" some of the major "issues" people have about the competetive game - i.e. runaway leader.

There is actually a decent amount of interaction, as you help each other by co-operating on what mana in the mana source gets used, and doing co-operative assaults on cities. Also you will end up co-ordinating on what areas you explore, etc., to try to maximize points.

The expansion will also add co-operative skills that add more co-operative interaction, and multiple new co-operative scenarios that will require working together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally enjoy co-op, but not as much as competitive. Some people just prefer to play it co-op so one of the things why I think this is a great game is that it gives you multiple ways to play.

As for the expansion, yes, it does contain new scenarios that are great for co-op
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Foale
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played it co-op and solo, and had a blast! It's one big long puzzle really. You get to plan out routes, and planning the castle attacks I found pretty nice. I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
For my group, if we're playing two players we play coop, if we're playing three we do competitive.

Coop is actually a lot of fun, in a "let's go out and slay some monsters (and city defenders)" sort of way. There's a lot of thought involved, but not a huge amount of teamwork.

I'd compare it more to Halo coop than League of Legends coop, if that helps. You're still playing Halo, so it's loads of fun, but one playing being significantly better than another won't ruin it for anyone. Which it will in LoL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Massimilla
United States
Syosset
New York
flag msg tools
Yes! I prefer to play it cooperatively. It is a meaty game with a lot to think about, and it's fun to work out the best moves together. We increase the levels of the cities to make it more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've been a vocal proponent in these forums for cooperative play. It's our group's preferred method. Because your score at the end is based on that of the weakest player, people in the lead have to balance the need to power up for the cities with the need to leave some stuff for others, and players need to discuss what they can and cannot do and who should take on which enemies to make sure people level up as evenly as possible. The game is still complex enough that no one player can direct the game (since in the end each person has to manage his or her own cards), but you can also ask for help and people are happy to give it.

I know from discussions here that it's not to everyone's taste, and it's frustrating that base game only goes to three players cooperatively, but I believe that with the expansion (which includes Volkare coop scenarios and the components for a fourth player coop) this game is going to be on my table a lot in early 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your opinions. They made me order the game today and I can't wait to get it.
Meanwhile I took a look into the rules online and I think not only the cooperative scenarios will be in the interest of my gamegroup. I noticed that there is a teamscenario and a scenario where you cooperate a little bit. That sounds really awesome to me and looks like much variety.

Sincerly,
FAAx87

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.