Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m going to buy one this weekend. I’ve played both only once or twice and from my initial impressions I slightly prefer Avalon. I was wondering what the experienced players of these games thought. I was chatting to such a man last night and he said there was more deduction to be had in the second edition. This is probably something I’d prefer in the game.

Poll
Which edition of Resistance is better?
Avalon
2nd Edition
      32 answers
Poll created by Arctic Jack

Please let me know the reasoning behind your choice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
The plot cards make the game more deduction focused. This tends to be beneficial for groups that aren't experienced as it prompts them to discuss the information at hand. For more experienced groups the roles in Avalon make for a better game overall. Choose what suits your group.

If you end up playing regularly then pick up the other one and mix and match the roles and plot cards. If I could have it my way I'd have the 1st edition theme, box and components with the roles from Avalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the simpler, base game offered w/ Resistance.

I've had luck making a slight alteration to Resistance rules that makes one of the "resistance" members function like Merlin in the Avalon version as well.

I don't have a large group of people that I can regularly play the game with, so I tend to prefer the simpler, streamlined version for teaching purposes as opposed to Avalon which has more stuff going on. Also prefer the original theme a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play vanilla Resistance with either, so the only difference is the plot cards vs the roles. And the plot cards are available in the BGG store for $5. So if you buy Avalon, and pick up the plot cards in the store, then you can play it all. The themes won't match, but it's the most economical way to play all the iterations of the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
You can play vanilla Resistance with either, so the only difference is the plot cards vs the roles. And the plot cards are available in the BGG store for $5. So if you buy Avalon, and pick up the plot cards in the store, then you can play it all. The themes won't match, but it's the most economical way to play all the iterations of the game...
Are The Resistance plot cards the same as the plot cards in first edition of The Resistance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenMonkey11 wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Are The Resistance plot cards the same as the plot cards in first edition of The Resistance?

I believe so, but that's just based off of reading the same suggestion elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It kind of illustrates the pretty ludicrous production choices that have been made with this game. What we have here are two separate games, released within three years of each other, that are actually essentially THE SAME GAME. One has plot cards, the other has extra role cards.

Why oh why wasn't one an expansion to the other? Crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blankfrancis wrote:
It kind of illustrates the pretty ludicrous production choices that have been made with this game. What we have here are two separate games, released within three years of each other, that are actually essentially THE SAME GAME. One has plot cards, the other has extra role cards.

Why oh why wasn't one an expansion to the other? Crazy.

Base games are cheap enough to where an expansion likely seemed needless. Plus, Indie Board and Games loves them a KS campaign, and Avalon gave them that chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm just annoyed because I like the roles of Avalon but the theme of the original...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.