Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Factory Deed. I want to buy the Factory Good. I do not have enough Credits to pay the full price. However, I can easily afford it with the 50% 'discount'.

Can I buy the Factory Good or not?

I assume that the word 'Commission' means that the 50% comes some time after the sale, even if I am buying from my own Factory?

Thanks in anticipation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chafield
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original game the rules specifically say the item must be purchased first and then the bank pays the commission. (no Credit)

I can't help on the new versions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your reply.

It is interesting to know the ruling in the original rules. As I said, the word 'Commission' does suggests that it is paid AFTER the sale, so you would need to have the full amount of money before purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
gnomus wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

It is interesting to know the ruling in the original rules. As I said, the word 'Commission' does suggests that it is paid AFTER the sale, so you would need to have the full amount of money before purchase.

The rules for Spaceport commissions are a bit more explicit - they happen after all buy/sell actions are completed.

The same clarity isn't there for Factory's, but I think the implication is still there. I think part of it, too, is that it says when a player buys a good, the owner immediately gets a 50% commission. That does imply to me that the good must actually be purchased first, which means full price, because if you only pay 50% of the good, you haven't bought it yet

The commission is immediate, but it's still predicated on the purchase happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnomus wrote:
I have a Factory Deed. I want to buy the Factory Good. I do not have enough Credits to pay the full price. However, I can easily afford it with the 50% 'discount'.

Can I buy the Factory Good or not?

There are no discounts at either Ports or Factories--it is a commission. You must pay full price for the good and then the factory owner (you could be you) receives the commission. (Many players of the original game do show they can pay the full amount to buy an item and then only tender the amount minus commissions.)

The FFG standard game specify the port commissions are paid after all transactions are completed.

Quote:
I assume that the word 'Commission' means that the 50% comes some time after the sale, even if I am buying from my own Factory?

After you buy the item that pays you a commission, the port or factory owner immediately receives any commissions in the original AH rules. Sometimes that commission will allow you enough cash to buy one more item!

One point that trips up people, Factory Commissions do not pay a Port Commission. So if you own a factory in a system where I have a port and someone buys the factory good at the port for $80: You receive a $40 factory commission and I get an $8 port commission. I do not a $4 commission on the commission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.