18 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Campaign out of the box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beanicus Maximus
Australia
flag msg tools
My wife and I have just finished the First Blood quest from the quest book and would like to go on with the campaign. Which quests do we move to next and how does the map work. The quests appear to be listed on the map but First Blood is not there. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for the campaign are towards the back of the rulebook and in the first pages of the quest guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no travel step before First Blood or after any quest -- you travel to Arhynn for free after each one, and start from there each time. The first travel icon is always a road event. Follow the dotted path from there to the chosen quest.

If the heroes won First Blood, A Fat Goblin seems to be the easiest for them to tackle next. If not, Castle Daerion seems to favor the Overlord most, IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever side won First Blood gets to choose the next quest. Your choices are between the five Act I quests: A Fat Goblin, Death on the Wing, The Masquerade Ball, The Cardinal's Plight, and Castle Daerion.

As for the map, after the next quest is chosen, you trace the shortest path beginning from Arhynn and ending on the chosen quest. For each travel icon you pass over on that path, you draw a Travel Card and resolve the text associated with that travel icon. For instance, if you choose A Fat Goblin (or The Masquerade Ball), you would resolve road-road-plains on three successive Travel Cards, in that order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you read the rules that are in the front of the Quest Book. They're easy to miss and have some really important rules (like how Reinforcements are placed, how the special Search tokens are placed, etc).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beanicus Maximus
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the advice.

When choosing the quest, should the hero players be allowed to peruse the quest guide and read all the quest info? As a previous DM this seems contrary to the spirit of surprise and adventure. I believe the rules state the no info is secret unless otherwise stated. Perhaps some role play such as rumours of a quest heard in taverns in the city might be more enjoyable than the heroes knowing exactly what they will be up against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beanicus wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice.

When choosing the quest, should the hero players be allowed to peruse the quest guide and read all the quest info? As a previous DM this seems contrary to the spirit of surprise and adventure. I believe the rules state the no info is secret unless otherwise stated. Perhaps some role play such as rumours of a quest heard in taverns in the city might be more enjoyable than the heroes knowing exactly what they will be up against.

I thought this at first until I actually read the quest descriptions. There's not really much you *can* keep secret from the heroes without horribly breaking the scenarios and making it impossible for them to win. The only way you could maybe do it is by converting all the rules into flavour text, but you would have to make it so completely obvious what it all meant that you might as well read the original text straight out to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beanicus Maximus
Australia
flag msg tools
I think what I object to is the strategic choosing of a quest by the heroes using knowledge that would not necessarily by available to them. Perhaps once the heroes have chosen a quest from the available options, having only access to rumours heard in town/tavern (reading out the flavour text), the full extent of the monsters faced, size of the quest map and win/loss conditions can be made public. I agree that this info needs to be made available at some point to allow heroes to be on a (relatively) even playing field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It specifically states that ALL information is public. Can't remember if it's in the mission book (probably is) or the rule book, but it is clearly stated.
That was one problem my group had with D1. Is the Overlord a player or GM? No question in D2. All quests are public and the players need to read them to determine which one they want to go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beanicus wrote:
I think what I object to is the strategic choosing of a quest by the heroes using knowledge that would not necessarily by available to them. Perhaps once the heroes have chosen a quest from the available options, having only access to rumours heard in town/tavern (reading out the flavour text), the full extent of the monsters faced, size of the quest map and win/loss conditions can be made public. I agree that this info needs to be made available at some point to allow heroes to be on a (relatively) even playing field.

The first time you play through, it doesn't really matter; you can't tell from reading the quests which are going to be easier and harder for any particular side, so at most you might choose based on the reward and/or the number and type of travel icons found on the overground map. Only experience will let you know which ones to choose in the future.

But if you want a list, then the Act I quests in order from easiest to hardest for the heroes are:

A Fat Goblin
Death on the Wing
The Cardinal's Plight
The Masquerade Ball
Castle Daerion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing with this game is that it's sort of meant to be played over and over (like a board game typically is), so it would be unfair if an experienced player had more information just because he had played the quest before. If your group all agrees to it, then I don't think there's a huge problem with the Overlord keeping some stuff secret, as long as the Heroes know that they'd be willingly putting themselves at a disadvantage when the rules state otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Beanicus wrote:
I think what I object to is the strategic choosing of a quest by the heroes using knowledge that would not necessarily by available to them.

Descent is not an RPG. At least, not as written. Per RAW, the heroes are allowed to read the entire quest guide whenever they want, there is no question of what "they should know." There is no division of player information and character information.

That said, if you want to make up some house rules to have the game play more like an RPG, by all means go nuts. You wouldn't be the first person to do so, and second edition is generally more flexible for things like that than first edition was (IMHO.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beanicus wrote:

So...is this what people are doing?

Reading the rumor flavor text for each quest, and letting them choose, based on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah. In most cases OL will throw Quest Book at heroes saying "not surprising. You won first blood. Choose wisely, as it's first and last time you get to choose."

The heroes will conclude reading full description of all 5 quests is too much work, so they will either go with first in order, or the one that looks like most fun/most climatic/most epic/has Eliza Farrow or whatever is preference of players. Some groups might just look at the available prizes and choose based on that.

I assume the OL is the owner and has most knowledge about the game and heroes didn't go on forums before that to read up which quests are the easiest for heroes

In my group they chose "first in the book".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
Nah. In most cases OL will throw Quest Book at heroes saying "not surprising. You won first blood. Choose wisely, as it's first and last time you get to choose."

The heroes will conclude reading full description of all 5 quests is too much work, so they will either go with first in order, or the one that looks like most fun/most climatic/most epic/has Eliza Farrow or whatever is preference of players. Some groups might just look at the available prizes and choose based on that.

I assume the OL is the owner and has most knowledge about the game and heroes didn't go on forums before that to read up which quests are the easiest for heroes

I like you. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:

Which is "A Fat Goblin", so at least it's a good choice for the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group looked at the map and then chose. They picked the "Save the Cardinal" one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm...it would be cool to get some sorta of summary list for each quest that gives a description of what it is, how difficult it might be, and maybe possible rewards. You know? Like in an rpg where quests are handed out in a tavern or something.

Handing them the book to choose from really takes everybody out of the game, I think.

Once everything is chosen, then giving up all the details of the quest.

I don't know. I love this game, but that quest choosing part really irks me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.