Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Star Trek:Fleet Captains. There is loads of re-playibility, lots of different paths to victory, and the awesome minis. This game was obviously designed with many expansions in mind, and the first release, the Romulan Empire, does a lot more than just add a new faction to the game.

What's Inside
Open the box, and you're greeted with more Fleet Captain yumminess. There are a dozen ships, all beautifully sculpted. There are several old school warbirds, to the impressive birds from STNG, to a massive dreadnaught whose wingspan fills an entire hex!

I've only played with a few of the ships. As you'd expect, most of the Romulan ships are light on sensor and heavy on shields and weapons. All of them can cloak and have moderate speed. Some special abilities include combat bonuses when fighting smaller ships, ability to make sensor tests while cloaked to find other cloaked ships, and viewing of your opponents secret missions.

My favorite ship has to be the diminutive Pi, a mine layer. It allows you to treat echo tokens as mines which can be detonated, as an action, to force your opponent ship to make a 10 shield test or suffer 1 damage. Yeah, not overly effective, but loads of fun to keep your opponent honest with their smaller ships.

Rounding out the box are a deck of command cards, new encounter cards, and new tiles for building your universe. The stock may be slightly thinner than the original version, about the only complaint I've had with the game overall.

A few of my favorite command cards include Heavy Disrupters, which adds +10 weapons (after you've successfully hit an opponent) and Plasma torpedoes which allow you to discard cards from your hand to increase your weapons (+2 per card before roll, +1 per card after you roll.) Sacrificed Pawn allows you to ignore a damage, very thematic. Again, great additions all around here.

Rule Updates
There is a single, double sided, sheet of rules.

This expansion adds a new type of mission, Espionage. Espionage missions have players gathering information and relaying it back to Romulus. Some examples include: completing a level 15 scanner test in a tile next to your opponent's Command Post, creating a number of cloak tokens on the board, and uncloaking to attack an enemy ship. All in all, I felt these new missions were themed perfectly for the ever watchful Romulan Empire.

There is also a new type of crew member, the Saboteur. These crew are placed on your opponent's ships, at most 1 per ship. When placed, many of these crew actually provide a positive value to the controlling ship's player (ex. +2 engines.) However, the controlling player can choose to activate their ops/combat ability, just as you would with any other crew. These affects could range from an unplanned power adjustment, to causing a ship wide system failure (-4 to all systems!), to removing 2VP!

Finally, there's a small tweak to the cloaking rules. Each ship, once per turn, can spend 5 points of movement to perform cloak their ship, without spending a Cloaking Action. This cannot be used to generate echoes.

Initial Impressions
After 3 plays, I'll say that this is a great expansion. Wiz Kids did a great job of creating an expansion that is way more than "just more stuff." In no way did I feel like this was just strapping on more of the same, it felt like a new game.

Thematically, they were dead on with the Romulans. They incorporate stealth in lieu of direct combat, plant agents to disrupt enemy operations, and conduct covert operations as a path to victory. They play very different than the Federation and Klingons.

Overall, I give this a resounding:

Obdience, Duty, and Death!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards are definitely thinner than the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pics please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Batterton
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
SpiderCat. Direct from the 9th plane of Hell. Adoptions are held every 666 days .
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheeseburger wrote:

Nothing sleeves won't fix. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PBatt wrote:
Cheeseburger wrote:

Nothing sleeves won't fix. . .

Still it's a poor design choice if the cards are not the same of the base set.

So, i'd like to see the difference. As they seems to be made by the same material, are also the location hexes thinner than the base set ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
other gamer
Germany
Regensburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this possible? The original cards are already very thin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.