JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I explain the rules to newer gamers, I often run into them being confused about the artifacts. They don't understand why they can't split them if two people go out, especially if there are two artifacts. (Which seems to happen more often that I care to admit, I may need to brush up on my shuffling skills!)

Anyway, my son came up with a reason for why the artifacts stay when two explorers leave. I thought it was clever and I also enjoy it if the rules can add to the theme of the game, so here it is:

As Archaeologists, we have a pact not to disturb the sanctity of the temple. We are okay taking the jewels because those are loose.

But the artifacts are a part of the temple's history, so if two people leave then they keep an eye on each other and leave the artifacts behind. We don't want to tarnish our scholarly reputation.

However, we aren't THAT scrupulous. So if we leave alone, when no one can see, we scoop up those artifacts, tuck them away and sell them on the Black Market for big bucks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Great explanation.

I may have been taught wrong since I have only played a friend's copy, but I was under the impression you can't split a single artifact because it isn't divisible (you don't actually convert it to gems and split that). But that if there were more than 1 and it was divisible, each would get one. Have we been playing wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dividing the loot is done on a per-card basis. So if three cards each have one gem apiece and three adventurers leave, none of them would get any gems. It's the same for artifacts, as there is only one in each room. Think of it as the adventurers moving out together one room at a time, and dividing the leftover loot in each room as they go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Trevin wrote:
Dividing the loot is done on a per-card basis. So if three cards each have one gem apiece and three adventurers leave, none of them would get any gems. It's the same for artifacts, as there is only one in each room. Think of it as the adventurers moving out together one room at a time, and dividing the leftover loot in each room as they go.

You only divide loot like that when you first encounter the room. When fleeing you add up all the leftover loot and split it among the people leaving. The manual even makes a comment about it not mattering which card you put the leftover on after you have split the loot.

Edited for spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! You're right, I misread that. blush

Quote:
3) Players Who Leave. If one or more players choose to leave the Temple:
• They equally divide all the treasures that have been left on any Quest cards in the path for this round. If the number of treasures cannot be divided equally, the extra treasures are left on any Quest card (which Quest card does not matter).

The wording on that would have been ambiguous, if not for the parenthetical clause at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Great explanation.

I may have been taught wrong since I have only played a friend's copy, but I was under the impression you can't split a single artifact because it isn't divisible (you don't actually convert it to gems and split that). But that if there were more than 1 and it was divisible, each would get one. Have we been playing wrong?

I'm sorry to say I believe you have! The artifacts are not divisible, even if there are two with two explorers leaving.

But, don't feel bad, you are not alone, here are two threads on the matter:

2 Artifacts, 2 Adventurers

What if there are 2 artifacts in the cave and 2 people leave? - SOLVED

Having two artifacts and only one person able to get them adds a lot of tension, it makes it pretty exciting!

Dividing the jewels by room seems interesting, but I think too fiddley for the groups I play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lennon
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Don't let it be forgot / That once there was a spot/ For one brief, shining moment / That was known as Camelot
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
... I was under the impression you can't split a single artifact because it isn't divisible (you don't actually convert it to gems and split that).

This is how I've always explained it as well. And as for why the 4th and 5th artifacts are worth more, I say that it "completes the collection" for the museum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.