Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 8.1.2 says: "Then roll a number of dice equal to the card's value to determine how many of the operations succeed." So, if I understand rignt, a Jihadist operation that uses an OP 2 card will roll two dice.

With regards to a Major Jihad, rule 8.4.2 says: "...then two successfull rolls on a single card..." Does this mean that (using the above example) the Jihadist rolls two dice two times? Rule 8.1.2 seems to indicate that rolling a number of dice equal to a card's OP value is a "roll," where rule 8.4.2 seems to indicate that there are two "rolls," meaning the Jihadist "rolls" a number of dice equal to the card's OP value two times.

Similarly, the Major Jihad section on the Jihadist Operations card says, under "Mission Failure:" "If 3 rolls at Poor fail to shift a country..." Again, this seems to indicate that "rolls" are separate throws of a number of dice, not just three dice being rolled.

I hope this question is clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lightstorm wrote:
Rule 8.1.2 says: "Then roll a number of dice equal to the card's value to determine how many of the operations succeed." So, if I understand rignt, a Jihadist operation that uses an OP 2 card will roll two dice.

Correct

Lightstorm wrote:
With regards to a Major Jihad, rule 8.4.2 says: "...then two successfull rolls on a single card..." Does this mean that (using the above example) the Jihadist rolls two dice two times? Rule 8.1.2 seems to indicate that rolling a number of dice equal to a card's OP value is a "roll," where rule 8.4.2 seems to indicate that there are two "rolls," meaning the Jihadist "rolls" a number of dice equal to the card's OP value two times.

Similarly, the Major Jihad section on the Jihadist Operations card says, under "Mission Failure:" "If 3 rolls at Poor fail to shift a country..." Again, this seems to indicate that "rolls" are separate throws of a number of dice, not just three dice being rolled.

I hope this question is clear.

Just one roll of the number of dice is required.

2 successes means that 2 of the dice rolled are equal to or under the governance value of the country.

'3 rolls at Poor' means that if the Jihadists have played a 3 Ops card for the Major Jihad, and the country doesn't flip to Islamist Rule, then the instructions for Mission Failure are carried out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the original poster is interpretting the number of dice (8.1.2) and the number of rolls (8.4.2) to be two different things.

The number of dice = number of rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
I think the original poster is interpretting the number of dice (8.1.2) and the number of rolls (8.4.2) to be two different things.

The number of dice = number of rolls.

That's an easy mistake to make; I made it, too. When discussing a number of rolls, the problem is that the rules don't clarify what is considered a "roll." If I play a 3 OPS card, is a "roll" just tossing three dice all at once? Or is it tossing three dice 3 times? I had to search a lot of these forum threads before it was clear that "a single die" was the same as "a single roll." Using two different terms for the same thing (like number of dice = number of rolls) is always a bad idea in a rulebook.

A related confusion occurred while trying to figure out whether a single cell could roll two dice on a Plot attempt because I had played a 2 OPS card...or are two cells required in order to roll two dice?

The latest I could figure out was that you never roll more dice for an action than you have cells which are attempting it. If you only have one cell on the entire board, using 2 OPS and 3 OPS cards for its operations is very wasteful.

So for the Jihadists, a 3 OPS card used for operations allows three different cells to attempt whichever action you choose by rolling ONE die each. And each of those three cells gets to roll its one die ONCE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The latest I could figure out was that you never roll more dice for an action than you have cells which are attempting it. If you only have one cell on the entire board, using 2 OPS and 3 OPS cards for its operations is very wasteful.

Hi. The rules for each operation specify the requirements, including whether a cell is required for each roll. Each cell only gets one roll for Plot, Jihad, or Travel. But Recruit only requires 1 cell or cadre present for as many rolls as you have Ops value from the card.

In the situation where you have only 1 cell on the map, I would strongly recommend using all available ops to roll Recruit attempts to forestall loss of the game by having your last cell removed!

Regards, Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Each cell only gets one roll for Plot, Jihad, or Travel. But Recruit only requires 1 cell or cadre present for as many rolls as you have Ops value from the card.

Wow. Back to the rulebook I go again, trying to figure out how I missed this one....thanks, Volko, and thanks for a great game design...or I think it will be once I get it played correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! The one roll per cell requirement for Plot is 8.5.1. The same for Jihad is 8.4. Travel 8.3.1.

Or you can refer to the Jihadist Operations player aid under Plot - Special, and Jihad - Special. (Travel is inherently one roll per cell because each roll either moves or removes a cell; on the play aid, see Travel - Each Success / Each Failure.)

Best regards, Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.