Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

While I couldn't stand the guy on the cover of Castle Merchants, I like the guy on Masons. He had time to spike his hair, put on a very nice coat, and build a wall with bricks. He is the equivalent of a president taking a picture pretending like he is helping and then leaves without actually helping. This makes me like this guy so much. Oh, and who doesn't like a goatee with no 'stache.

On to the game! I've played this game a lot back in the day. I had a friend who loved this game and he would always request this game so we played it a lot.

This game is one of the few really abstract games I like. For some reason, it works for me (it might be all the good times I had playing it with a friend thus your mileage may vary).

The game is simple to play and there is enough luck to keep everyone in the game.

Components:

You get a lot of wood with this game. All the little bits are different (towers, people/houses, palaces) and in different colors (even pink!). You get some unique dice (for this game) and a deck of small cards.

Everything is good quality for an abstract game.

Rule Book:

This isn't a straightforward rule set. There are a few exceptions and odd things going on. With that said, the rules include plenty of color photos and examples. Some of the cards will need multiple explanations (on back page of rules is a key that really helps). Scoring is a little wonky and mathy, but nothing too hard. The best way to teach this game is to go straight through the rules with the new players.

Flow of the Game:

While the rules are short, I'm not going to go through all the rules. Instead, I want to give you a flow of the game.

Your goal is to score points by building walls (thus enclosing a triangle on the board) and scoring for houses and places that are there (in your color) based on cards played when you score.

On your turn:

1. Build a wall. You just place anywhere you want.
2. Roll dice. Roll 3 dice and based on the results you place towers and/or houses.
3. Score. If a city is enclosed, you score by playing cards from your hand.
4. End turn. Next player gets dice and starts.

The game continues like this until it ends

The actions are easy and it is the same each turn over and over. The choices come from where to place walls (i.e. when to close a city) and when to score. It is a light abstract with a lot of thinking. You play against the other people so you have to out think them also.

Should I buy this?:

Yes, at the right price. This an abstract and can usually be found for around 10 dollars and that is a good price for it. Your mileage may vary on it, but I like this game (and I'm not a huge fan of abstract. I do have some good memories with it also, so I'm sure that plays into it also.

Overall, this is one of my favorite abstract games and I will not purge it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the way the guy looks and go out of my way not to have to look at him any time I play the game.

What definition of "abstract" are you using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ssmooth wrote:
I hate the way the guy looks and go out of my way not to have to look at him any time I play the game.

1. I learned to allow him to control my life. We get a long much better. All kidding aside, he just seems like a cool guy. He is building the wall in nice clothes and spiked hair and just smiles at me. Seems like a nice guy.

2. Abstract to me might be different than what other people would define it as. I have a little SUBJECTIVE checklist I go through in my head. To me, Abstract is a game where the theme doesn't really come through. I realize this is very subjective. In addition, the game normally doesn't tell a story (although lack of a story by itself does not make it abstract). Also, I look at if theme drives the mechanics or the mechanics drive the theme. I also consider if my decisions are just "logic" or "math". For example, do my emotions ever enter the game (Last Night on Earth/TI3/Gears of War - sometimes I care about what is going on).

This is very SUBJECTIVE and I don't pretend my definition of abstract will be yours (or anyone else's). This is longer than I expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
ssmooth wrote:

It's a Colovini. I love Colovini, but his games are abstract. If someone attempted to say they had theme you'd find a lot of people posting to vehemently state otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
On your turn:

1. Build a wall. You just place anywhere you want.
2. Roll dice. Roll 3 dice and based on the results you place towers and/or houses.

even in a description this brief I would still insert another item

3.5 Pause your turn while each
other player scores

becuase this is so unexpectedly different from all games in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
This an abstract and can usually be found for around 10 dollars and that is a good price for it.

Where are you finding this for $10 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindsorrow wrote:
william4192 wrote:
This an abstract and can usually be found for around 10 dollars and that is a good price for it.

It used to be $10 on Amazon, for quite a while. It's not been that price for about a year now though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blindsorrow wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Sorry, my information was a little outdated. I picked this up for 10 bucks a while ago and it was the price for a very long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.