Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Kulik
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have some good recommendations for a 12 year old? I've played a lot of games, but I'm not sure how smart I was when I was that old. What do you think would be some good ones that wouldn't be too hard?

I was thinking stuff like carcassonne and ticket to ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you provide more info about the 12 year old?

- Male of female?

- Game player or not?

- Hobbies, interests?

- Attention span/learning ability?

And check out the BGG Gift Guide http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Board_Game_Gift_Guide_201...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it really depends on the child in question eg: does S/HE play board games, and if so who with, solo/friends/family etc?

Personally I wouldn't pick Carc of TtR, but something like:
Forbidden Island
Defenders of the Realm
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
King of Tokyo
Galaxy Trucker
Unnamed Object
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
maybe even Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a boy, then Battleball, Thunder Road, or Screaming Eagles would probably be wonderful choices. All three are out of print but easily available on ebay and usually for fairly affordable prices.

tankgrlnz wrote:

Yes, Survive is a great one. I first played the original MB version back when I was in early grade school, and it made a very positive impression that's lasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's anything like my son he will want something that is visually appealing to the eye first and game play second. We make my son come down from the video games about once a week for some family board game time. He will play most game's with us just to make us happy,but he is the first one to say im done only after a game or so.
He's been all into The Walking Dead tv show and this year is actually asking for the board game,From the rating's it looks like it's not going to be a very good game but im going to get it anyway in hopes to maybe it will spark some more gaming interest in him as it said it can be played solo,or up to 4.
So my son has a zombie liking and games he asks to play are games like that or have that similar eye candy.
He asks to play the following:
Last Night On Earth
King Of Tokyo
Heroscape
Survive,Escape from Atlantis
Gears Of War
Zombicide
Claustrophobia
Zombie Dice

Heroscape is pretty fun,but it is OOP,You can find the master sets like Rise of The Valkyrie on ebay for about the price you would spend on a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo as others have said, would work great. Monsters attacking each other with dice.

Tobago would work great. Using clues on cards played by the players to locate buried treasure on a board that looks like a tropical island complete with palm trees and cool tiki statues.

Hey, That's My Fish! a fun tile stealing game with fish and penguins.

Pizza Theory an area control game that looks like a pizza. The player pieces are pizza toppings. Game can only be played with 3 players, though, but I think there is a 2 player variant, too.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is a classic that I have not played that should also be good, as someone above mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kulik
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your help. I see some great suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
"How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist..."
badge
Bacon pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake, Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make, Bacon pancaaaaake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape is a good choice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 year old son enjoys:

Memoir 44
King of Tokyo
Galaxy Trucker
Claustrophobia
Descent
Nexus Ops
Summoner Wars
War of the Ring
Wiz War
Dungeon Twister
Catacombs

He enjoys these, but they're not for everyone:

Ghost Stories
Earth Reborn
Mage Knight Board Game
Stronghold
Civilization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Crawford
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would have to recommend King of Tokyo as well, especially with the expansion. So far everyone I've played it with has LOVED it. Talisman is also a pretty big hit with younger folks when I bring it out. Lots of flavor and "story" without very deep rules. 7 Wonders is a blast too, but really depends on how many players s/he will be able to gather. If s/he is only going to play with a parent or two, or a friend or two after school, then 7 Wonders probably wouldn't be great. Runebound is a lot of fun with just 2 or 3 players, if s/he is into the fantasy theme (you can probably tell that I am).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars
Rune Age
Thunderstone Advance

All very cool games, and not difficult AT ALL, I play it all the time with my 7 year old daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My 11 yr old son enjoys Castle Panic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.