Decktet» Forums » General

Subject: New Decktet Games? Where are they? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone working on new games for the decktet?
I printed the rulebook available in the files section a while ago and it had some nice games ( I didn't try some of them by lack of materials at hand: tokens,special dices,other decktets).
But some of them were "under-development" and the rulebook hasn't been updated since, also I went to the decktet family and ordered it by year published and it only show's 2 games in 2012.
Seams a little slow for a systems with solid games created for it.
~
So my question is: have you created or are you creating some hidden gem that you are holding from the lazy mortals like me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules booklet in the files section is just data from the Decktet Wiki, formatted for printing. The update date is just the last time Matthieu Weber decided to make a new version.

New games on the Wiki since then include Off Label (a game of marketing for a pharmaceutical company), Speculation (a game of stock-holding), and Auction Chicken (a game I made riffing on an original idea by Kenny VenOsdel). All of these are fun but a bit half-baked. Their economies all need a balancing, a process that might reveal deeper flaws in the designs.

In addition to the Wiki, you might want to take a look at at the Decktet Variants subforum here at BGG. In addition to Off Label, Speculation, and Auction Chicken since April, you'll find Parasite, Cascades, Soliterrapin, Woosch, and Harvest, Hunter, Beaver, Blue.

As for games that are really being withheld from you, I'm not at liberty to discuss those. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there are a few games that are (for now) only available in the Decktet Book and so aren't in norsy's booklet: Hermit, Kingpins, and Otgovorko.

This weekend, you can get the book for 30% off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response P.D. Magnus, I will look into it.
And, better late than never, congratulations on creating the decktet. Very interesting indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg J
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got several irons in the fire in various stages of development, described on my designer's page here on bgg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created this awhile ago but haven't gotten enough feedback yet to call it completely finished. I'd love it if you give it a try and post some feedback on the game page or in a geekmail to me.

gamepage:
Pauntel's Got Talent

orginal thread:
Pauntel's Got Talent

Other than that I have a card fishing (not fishing themed) game that I thought up but haven't posted. I'm not sure it's worth anything other than as children's game though. It might be okay but I just can't tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:
Anyone working on new games for the decktet? ... have you created or are you creating some hidden gem?

I'm working on one new game (main mechanism: set collection) and am kicking around ideas for a second (main mechanism: area control).

Question: at what stage of development is it appropriate to post a game? I'm inclined to hold off posting the first game until I've had a chance to playtest it at least once.

And posting should happen first at Decktet.com, rather than here at BGG, right?

Thanks for the Decktet and the community around it,
Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:

Question: at what stage of development is it appropriate to post a game? I'm inclined to hold off posting the first game until I've had a chance to playtest it at least once.

And posting should happen first at Decktet.com, rather than here at BGG, right?

There is no actual rule for this.

sauron Some people post a thread here on BGG when they have an idea for a game, before it is developed enough to even possibly playtest. Discussion can help with early development, sometimes in ways that could not have happened without public discussion.
Example: Fifes & Drums began from an untested idea posted by Greg Payne.

sauron You are welcome to post at The Decktet Wiki at any point. It aspires to be complete, so every game really ought to end up with an entry there eventually. The entry can just be a stub with a few sentences of description and a link, though.
Example: Nate Straight is hesitant to ever say that his games are done. Even though Corundum Conundrum is published in the Decktet Book, he still prefers to have the wiki page link to the thread here on BGG which describes it as unfinished.

sauron For a game to have a separate entry in the BGG database, it should meet BGG's admittedly vague requirements. There should be a stable set of rules, and the game should have been tested at least a few times in its present form. Often, games get their own entry because someone wants to start tracking plays for it or uploading pictures.

Ultimately, it is a matter of personal taste whether you want to share with the community early (at the idea stage), late (when your game is tested and nearly done), or somewhere in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
There is no actual rule for this.

Believe it or not, that (and the rest of the post) clears things up for me. Thank you!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.