N Edmond
United Kingdom
Brockley
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I've played the game a fair bit, and this hasn't come up before (as I'd assumed the answer was 'no'), but:

Do homeland tiles implicitly allow their rooter triangle to be habitable?

There's no stated DNA requirement for them (and nor is there for the main Herbivore niche).

If it's a 'yes' then that offers an additional option for the early game.

Thanks,

Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question... I don't remember it ever being asked during playtesting. Hopefully Phil will decide on an official answer, because I know of no evidence either way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stansfield
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Good Question.

I'll wait for the official answer, but I'm leaning towards no.

A Biome normally indicates what Rooter DNA it requires.

If it was allowed then consider;

If you had two separate descendants and 1 was a Rooter in the Homeland and you then move a different descendent there how would you decide who wins, what is the prevalent DNA requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the manual:

Homeland tiles:
"They have no requirements (2.4b), so any herbivore may eat them."

Rooter biomes
"Rooter biomes have 2 rows of requirements (2.4b). The upper row is for herbivores that eat leaves, and the lower row is for rooters that shell nuts/seed-cones (H husker DNA) or dig for tubers/rhizomes (N burrowing DNA)."

So a rooter isn't a herbivore and Homeland tiles don't have 2 rows of requirements. Case closed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
From the manual:

Homeland tiles:
"They have no requirements (2.4b), so any herbivore may eat them."

Rooter biomes
"Rooter biomes have 2 rows of requirements (2.4b). The upper row is for herbivores that eat leaves, and the lower row is for rooters that shell nuts/seed-cones (H husker DNA) or dig for tubers/rhizomes (N burrowing DNA)."

So a rooter isn't a herbivore and Homeland tiles don't have 2 rows of requirements. Case closed

sounds right to me.

it has come up before but we never questioned this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Edmond
United Kingdom
Brockley
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with your answer, but not necessarily with your route to it. Elsewhere in the rules Rooters seem to be a subset of Herbivores, eg.

"An animal in the rooter triangle, called a rooter, is herbivorous and generally follows all the rules for herbivores"

or

"After your turn, cull any animals that have been adversely impacted by
your turn, starting with the herbivores" (no separate mention of rooters)

or

"Animals wishing to be predators move to the upper triangle; rooters to the lower triangle. Other herbivores are placed on the biome tile."

or the fact that immigrant animals marked as Herbivores may have rooter/husker DNA.

So maybe not so clear-cut after all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stansfield
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kogar wrote:
Tzer wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with your answer, but not necessarily with your route to it. Elsewhere in the rules Rooters seem to be a subset of Herbivores, eg.

"An animal in the rooter triangle, called a rooter, is herbivorous and generally follows all the rules for herbivores"

or

"After your turn, cull any animals that have been adversely impacted by
your turn, starting with the herbivores" (no separate mention of rooters)

or

"Animals wishing to be predators move to the upper triangle; rooters to the lower triangle. Other herbivores are placed on the biome tile."

or the fact that immigrant animals marked as Herbivores may have rooter/husker DNA.

So maybe not so clear-cut after all...

I think the clincher is definitely "Rooter biomes have 2 rows of requirements"

Homelands don't therefore they aren't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Edmond
United Kingdom
Brockley
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree - that's what made me play it that way, unquestioningly. Still be interested to check designer's intent, though.

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Homelands do not have two rows of requirements, and are therefore not intended to have rooter biomes. Homelands differ from other biomes in that they have no DNA requirements for herbivores on them, but to be a rooter one needs H or N DNA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Had no idea that I hit a new area here. Loving the game and am glad to take the time to really get the rules. Started by teaching my youngest a few months back and then found a group to play over Vassal. We've been having ton of fun. Thanks for the design Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stansfield
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bsets wrote:
Had no idea that I hit a new area here. Loving the game and am glad to take the time to really get the rules. Started by teaching my youngest a few months back and then found a group to play over Vassal. We've been having ton of fun. Thanks for the design Phil.

Is that Barry "White" there?

Yep, surprisingly fun game (once you get the rules straight in your head)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... Loved the way that naming turned out. I thought that there was a great game there, and you guys really helped to pull it out. A pleasure playing and hope we can do it again real soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.