Subject: Worlds Tournament Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I meant to post this report earlier, but after the worlds event, I was off to bggcon, and then had thanksgiving and recovery. Now that I finally have a few minutes, decided to finally put this up. I took some notes so it won't all be from memory this time.

I played identical decks to my last report, here they are again:

Corp: Weyland

Agenda (12)
3 x Hostile Takeover
3 x Posted Bounty
3 x Private Security Force
3 x Priority Requisition

Ice (19)
3 x Archer
2 x Hadrian's Wall
2 x Rototurret (2 inf)
2 x Data Raven (4 inf)
3 x Enigma
3 x Wall of Static
1 x Tollbooth (2 inf)
3 x Ice Wall

Operations (13)
3 x Hedge Fund
3 x Aggressive Negotiation
3 x Beanstalk Royalties
3 x Scorched Earth
1 x SEA Source (2 inf)

Assets/Upgrades (5)
2 x Melange Mining Corp.
2 x Aggressive Secretary (4 inf)
1 x Corporate Troubleshooter (1 inf)

Runner: Criminal

Events (25)
3 x Account Siphon
3 x Special Order
3 x Inside Job
3 x Infiltration
3 x Sure Gamble
3 x Forged Activation Orders
3 x Easy Mark
3 x Diesel (6 inf)
1 x Stimhack (1 inf)

Programs (9)
2 x Corroder (4 inf)
1 x Gordian's Blade (3 inf)
1 x Yog.0 (1 inf)
1 x Ninja
1 x Femme Fatale
3 x Sneakdoor Beta

Hardware(3)
2 x Desperado
1 x Lemuria Codebreaker

Resources (8)
3 x Armitage Codebusting
2 x Crash Space
3 x Bank Job

There were over 30 people I believe at the tournament, which was a pretty good showing, eclipsed only by the Game of Thrones events. So a very good showing for Netrunner! This led to a 5 round tournament with a cut to top 4. Onto the matches!

Matches

Match 1 vs. Andrea (NBN/Anarch)

I was corp first, which I like, though I will end up being corp first every match. I don't remember much of this match, and I hadn't started my notes till a little after this match, but I remember massively misplaying my traps. Like 3 misplays in a row. I got out an archer eventually, but he was able to break it to steal the final agenda he needed, which I should of played Aggressive Secretary instead. So mental errors right off the bat, a good beginning! Score was 0-10.

The second game, my opponent mentioned how he usually loses with runner and never with his corp. So good times ahead. An early hit on his HQ or R&D shows it's a Scorched Earth NBN. I get a crash space down pretty early and get my suite up and running. He has lots of tagging ice, hunter, data raven, etc. He generated a giant server with 5 ice that I was avoiding for the most part, happy to hit his relatively exposed HQ/R&D and was getting a good number of agendas as well. Then I made another mental error and passed the turn with a tag, which I specifically left and action to undo! His turn consisted of SE, Archived Memories, SE. With Crash space, this left me at 0 cards. My turn was draw 3 cards, remove tag. He installed into his giant server and advanced twice. Probably a safe bet considering he had something like a 9-2 bit advantage over me. Fortunately, two of my three cards were Account Siphons. I banked on him not having another SE, and Account siphoned him twice. HQ was protected by I think just Data Raven and hunter. Maybe a Wall of static as well. Either way, I ate like 6 tags to drain his coffers, then ran his big server (which had 3 unrezzed pieces of ice and two rezzed ice which did not stop the run) and got the winning agenda. My opponent had netted 2 points of Breaking News for a score of 10-2.

Match 2 vs. John (Jinteki/Anarch)

I'm corp first. This game was weird in that I draw into absolutely no combo cards, though I think his viruses trashed a few. I did get an Archer unrezzed out and a Hostile Takeover ready to sack to it. His Anarch deck then dropped Femme Fatale, targetting the unrezzed ice (archer) blocking R&D. He decides to run with only two bits up, and archer rezzes. My opponent had some confusion on how Femme Fatale worked, but after a quick ruling, I was able to trash both his femme fatale and his Djinn with two nested programs. With this massive setback, I was able to win pretty smoothly. I believe he got one posted bounty out of archives. 10-1.

This game, I was pretty aggressive with my criminal, I think I got an early ninja and just ran everything I could. This kept him incredibly low on funds since he had to rez everything. I never did get a decoder down and he was able to score two agendas behind an enigma. I did make a mental mistake once where I ran his hand when he had 4 credits and I had less than 3 cards. Luckily, I was not punished for it. I eventually got enough agendas out of his R&D and won. 10-4

Match 3 vs. Nick (NBN/Criminal)

This game was a bit disappointing. I had my combo pretty early, but I could not get the money edge on my opponent. Aside from that, I kept drawing into agendas. Drew more agendas than Ice. I just wanted to try to stabilize and make money and then burn him, but I could not draw enough ice to do so. My mistake was probably in rushing too much, I should of just collected money. Eventually he used inside job to get to my archives where I had discarded like 4 points in agendas. 0-10.

This game went very quickly if I remember. He was able to double hedge fund and put a tollbooth protecting his hand on the first turn. I took relatively easier access to R&D and ran with it. Had control throughout most of the game. He was able to score a breaking news out of hand at some point though. While I won the game, I lost the match. 10-1.

Match 4 vs. Brian (Criminal/HB)

Opponent opened by saying he was unfamiliar with how Weyland worked. That being said, he was still criminal, so it was a tough match up. Inside job snagged him a couple of agendas. However, he eventually ended the turn with less than 4 cards in hand, and I was able to SEA source and SE him. 10-3.

This game, I was focused on keeping him poor like a good runner. Got 4 quick agenda points off R&D or HQ. Eventually, he installed behind two unrezzed ice and advanced once. In the effort to make him poor, I decided to inside job the server, with 1 click left. He rezzed chum, which was bypassed, and then he rezzed Ichi! Broke one of the program trashing routines, and beat the trace (he was down to one credit). He trashed my Gordian blade. This was my last decoder as I had discarded Yog.0 earlier. I think both his HQ and R&D were protected by enigma. Then I access the card, and he activates Project Junebug! The two cards he hits are special order, and Ninja. I think I was left with just corroder and sneak door in play. Within the next couple of turns, he installed a third piece of ice to that server installed into it. I decide to go for broke and run into it. He rezzes Neural Katana which does 3 damage, then I click through Ichi and nab Priority Req for the victory. 10-2.

Match 5 vs. Derek (Criminal/HB)

As I’m sitting at 16 points, I need a full victory if I’m to have any chance at all here. I start with corp. He drops double decoy within like 4 turns, with me having my full combo in hand. Ugh. Hate criminals. So I try to start playing game the legit way, icing up my servers and I do score like 2 points of agendas. He eventually keeps me poor and wins though. I believe I got hit by two account siphons. Hate Criminals. 2-10.

So down one game, I definitely need to win, and win without him score a single agenda. Since he is HB and can score from his hand, I don’t like my odds. I only ended up playing one single program this game, Sneakdoor beta. He had a very ice light hand, with just Ichi protecting HQ and R&D, and the Ichi on R&D came a turn after I hit two agendas in a row there. He used a toll booth on archives once I had beta in play. I eventually just kept looking at his top card every turn and eventually got an agenda for the victory. 10-0.

This was good enough to get me 20 points. I believe 23 points was the cut off for the top 4. So if I converted just one of those earlier corp losses, I probably could of made it in. As is, I got 8th, which isn’t too bad.

Thoughts on tournament:

This tournament was pretty fun! I liked that I was able to finally get out and visit FFGland. They had a great set up and ran a good show. They also gave away some great pre-registration bonuses. Were players from all over, I think some even came in from Germany, so I certainly didn’t win the farthest traveled award. If I had miles, I enjoyed the experience to do it again, which considering this trip was a complete whim, I consider a win overall.

Thoughts on decks

My criminal deck went undefeated again! Even though I made some mistakes and had a couple of games where I was in dire straights. Turned out the deck was pretty resilient and does a good job punishing the corp early. The only thing I’d change is I’d probably remove the stimhack. I don’t know that I’d use it at all even if I draw it. Will probably put in another Lemuria or Desperado. I like the idea of stimhack, but this deck has a lot of other tricks it’s using to run.

My corp deck was the stinker this time around. Clearly it needs to be tweaked a bit and I’m anxious to look at the tournament winner’s decklist as he was also running Weyland (and might have been the only other one). I think for starters the aggressive negotiations need to go and I need to put in more ice. Will probably trim out data ravens as well and put in hunters and archived memories. Too many anarchs around that cause you to lose cards and trash ice. Lot of tweaking needs to be done on that deck. Of course, eagerly awaiting future data packs to see what goodness they bring to help beef up the corp which I feel is a little weaker than runner at the moment.

Overall, it was a great time! Props to FFG for setting it up and running it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10 points to win? Is that a tournament thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
bobcatpoet wrote:

In Netrunner tournament a win always gives you 10 points so no matter how you win, you get more points than the guys who didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
bobcatpoet wrote:

In Netrunner tournament a win always gives you 10 points so no matter how you win, you get more points than the guys who didn't.

Specifically, a tournament match involves tracking points across three different tiers:

Agenda Points, which determine who wins a game (unless the runner flatlines or the corp decks out) and are acquired by scoring/stealing agendas in the game.
Match Points, which determine who wins a two-player matchup. Winning a game is worth 10 match points and losing is worth whatever your Agenda Point score was.
Prestige Points, which determine overall ranking in the tournament. Winning a game is worth 2 Prestige Points, and having more Match Points than your opponent after both games is worth another two Prestige Points.

It's complex, but it kind of needs to be, since you can't really run a Netrunner tournament like you would a Magic tournament. Best-of-three matches don't work, because the asymmetry of the two sides means you want both players playing each side an equal number of times. With an even number of games, you can't just count wins because splitting games will be common and breaking the tie is important. Comparing Agenda Points between games doesn't solve that, because it needlessly makes Tag-and-Bag and Mill decks less competitive when they win on their own terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Napoleon Bonaparte
msg tools
mbmb
Its not only a "tournament" thing, it is in the tournament rules yeah, but i think its the only official ruling for a "match" and i do not know why i would ever play something else than a "match".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxMortem wrote:
Its not only a "tournament" thing, it is in the tournament rules yeah, but i think its the only official ruling for a "match" and i do not know why i would ever play something else than a "match".

I do like match play the best, but I'll often just play one side if I'm testing out a deck or some new alterations I made (which is always, it seems like).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxMortem wrote:

For myself, I've never played anything other than super casual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.