Monsterpocalypse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Coming back to the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I'm playing this game again after a long brake and I was wondering if any units had been errated or changed in any way?

I've been watching battle report videos and the empire of the apes players always take Carnidons but aren't frontline apes better? Don't they have better speed and the same defense and brawl value but they have the gang special ability. So I'm thinking that Carnidons either got changed or all the videos I'm watching were made before the frontline ape came out.

I hate when a unit gets obsoleted so I'd be disappointed if the Carnidon was completely knocked out of the game by the frontline ape

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The videos must have been made before the Apes came out, no errata has been made for any figure. Truth be told, the Caridon wasn't very good from the get go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yeah I know most people always thought the carnidon was pretty terrible. I was always a fan of them though. The amount of B-dice they could roll against ground pounders was awesome and when supported with flank they could tear through stuff. I think part of the reason why I liked them so much was because people thought they were poor units. I always enjoy beating some one with a unit or monster they thought was a bad choice.

But now with the frontline ape out they are just a carnidon with +2 speed and the gang ability. That really bugs me when a company makes a new unit and there is no point to even playing the old unit. The only thing the carnidon has on the frontline ape now is that a brontox can't nest a frontline ape.

I guess that brings me to another question. How did this game hold up to power creep? I played mostly through series 1 and 2 but played a little bit of series 4. When I was playing the moles they seemed pretty insane. Their basic brawler guy was nuts. He rolled so many more dice then other brawlers and he had jump. How does a mole learn to jump like that? Also the insect team had that beetle that made the Spikasaur seem pretty weak. It seems like terrasaurs took the biggest hit when the new stuff came out.

So how does the old stuff compare to the new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the combiners? Im finding them a fun alternative. But then Im playing for fun rather than competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Omega2064 wrote:
Have you tried the combiners? Im finding them a fun alternative. But then Im playing for fun rather than competition.

I've never even heard of them. What are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They come packed with the DMZ faction boxes. A set of units that combine into one big one.

Essentially you play the small units, get them together, call the combining and then replace with the big one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the morphers from Series 3:All Your Base
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Omega2064 wrote:
They come packed with the DMZ faction boxes. A set of units that combine into one big one.

Essentially you play the small units, get them together, call the combining and then replace with the big one.

oh the morphers. Nope I haven't tried them yet. But I just ordered a ton of monpoc stuff so I'll be trying them soon.

Hopefully this game held up well to power creep and that most of the units still have a purpose.

I'm also a little worried that with two factions per agenda that strategies and styles of factions may get a little blurred.

Could someone give me a one sentence description of the style of each of the six newest factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thekingofblades wrote:
[q="Omega2064"]

Could someone give me a one sentence description of the style of each of the six newest factions?

I'll take a stab.

Elementals = Flexible, units are more for support than attack, heavy hitting monsters

Moles = Unit swarm, Monsters heavy melee

Apes = Monsters heavy melee, units fantastic on offense

Tritons = Very synergy dependent, difficult to use

Bugs = Shooty, very strong monsters

Mechs = really need SSS units for maximum effectiveness, Monsters a bit underpowered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
abrannan wrote:
thekingofblades wrote:
[q="Omega2064"]

I'll take a stab.

Elementals = Flexible, units are more for support than attack, heavy hitting monsters

Moles = Unit swarm, Monsters heavy melee

Apes = Monsters heavy melee, units fantastic on offense

Tritons = Very synergy dependent, difficult to use

Bugs = Shooty, very strong monsters

Mechs = really need SSS units for maximum effectiveness, Monsters a bit underpowered

Do any of the new factions mimic the style of one of the previous factions?
I saw that the cliff hoppers have the power gorge ability so is the savage swarm like the martians were they are good at generating power dice or do each of the six new factions have their own style that is different then the first six factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most unique style have the Apes, they are experts in destroying the city and reaping benefits from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.