Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know if there will ultimately be a difference in a kickstarter copy vs one through normal distribution? Were all the upgrades universal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel s
msg tools
dude's on honeymoon.

wait for him to get back and hopefully we will get an answer. Im assuming delivery will be at the around the same time though.

but what upgrades are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
danieliscrazy wrote:
dude's on honeymoon.

wait for him to get back and hopefully we will get an answer. Im assuming delivery will be at the around the same time though.

but what upgrades are you talking about?

I believe he is talking about:

--> The favor chip flag "stickers"
--> City office "license" cardboard markers
--> The 'boss' and 'street gang' meeples
--> The updated/improved board art
--> The custom immigrant cube draw bag

My guess is that the updated/improved board art and special meeples will be included with the general distribution, while the custom draw bag, city office licenses, and stickers are probably going to be just for the Kickstarter backers. But I am not by any means in "the know".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I am hearing now is that the retail versions contain all of the same stretch goals of the Kickstarter, as listed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ice
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
What I am hearing now is that the retail versions contain all of the same stretch goals of the Kickstarter, as listed above.

I'm pretty much over kickstarter. This seems to happen constantly. So I get the same thing quicker and cheaper if I don't go out on a limb with ks? Deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ktice wrote:
MillertimeRC wrote:

I'm pretty much over kickstarter. This seems to happen constantly. So I get the same thing quicker and cheaper if I don't go out on a limb with ks? Deal.

That's true if it happens at all. The purpose of Kickstarter is to make things happen. An artwork, a movie, a game being published. You getting a copy is a nice side effect if things work out. If you prefer to buy an available thing and get it promptly you should be dealing with a game store provided the thing you want isn't in danger of not happening at all.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ice
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
ktice wrote:
MillertimeRC wrote:

That's true if it happens at all. The purpose of Kickstarter is to make things happen. An artwork, a movie, a game being published. You getting a copy is a nice side effect if things work out. If you prefer to buy an available thing and get it promptly you should be dealing with a game store provided the thing you want isn't in danger of not happening at all.

B>

Agreed, but with all the games I'd be interested in, getting made or not isn't really an issue. The trend right now is bigger and bigger publishers are taking advantage of KS for presales and I'm trending back the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In some of those cases, fairly large publishers are genuinely concerned tha a game may be too nichey to actually sell the copies they'd need to print, so they offload some of the initial capital kick into kickstarter.

In this case, they're deciding whether the game gets produced at all, which seems entirely in line with the magical what-kickstarter-is-for view.

However, if it isj ust for presales, then you're likely to be far less disappointed with a regular game purchase than you would likely be with a kickstarter backing. Do that.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of times it's a case of 'the game will happen, we just want to make it better'. Cool Mini or Not is one that comes to mind, they have made that statement in a project description more than once. There are some cases where the stretch goals make sense and some where there is little incentive once a project is funded, because you're not helping the project get better and you're just paying very early for something that you could later get cheaper and probably earlier.

I do think Kickstarter is still very new to most people so this isn't always clear or understood. The novelty appeal of KS has worn off for me and I find myself not attracted to any projects lately; I suspect this will happen to a lot of people after they go a few rounds like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed Tammany Hall when it was well past its funding goal. My pledge had little to do with whether or not the game would be "happening.". I will admit I bought into the allure of getting the game first...

I will say I am over the kickstarter way of buying games. Yeah yeah, I know, kickstarter is not a store, but it's being marketed as one when it comes to boardgames. I simply don't like the nearly universal trend of over promising and under delivering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themothman421 wrote:
I backed Tammany Hall when it was well past its funding goal. My pledge had little to do with whether or not the game would be "happening.". I will admit I bought into the allure of getting the game first...

I will say I am over the kickstarter way of buying games. Yeah yeah, I know, kickstarter is not a store, but it's being marketed as one when it comes to boardgames. I simply don't like the nearly universal trend of over promising and under delivering.

And you will probably get chewed up here for that, I know I have been. But I agree that the marketing has often been of a pre-order with a few perks such as first delivery or exclusive content, and often those perks haven't materialized.

For some reason a lot of BGG members think that it's ridiculous to expect to receive what you have been promised by KS projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
themothman421 wrote:

And you will probably get chewed up here for that, I know I have been. But I agree that the marketing has often been of a pre-order with a few perks such as first delivery or exclusive content, and often those perks haven't materialized.

For some reason a lot of BGG members think that it's ridiculous to expect to receive what you have been promised by KS projects.

Well I think given the diversity of viewpoints on BGG, you will see how people's own views of tolerance, patience, etc. manifest in their posts when issues like this one arise.

Myself, I tend to look inward. I'm not frustrated with Pandasaurus so much, more just wondering what I have learned about myself (in terms of expectations, game-buying habits, etc.) through this experience.

So far, I think I've shifted my opinion on what Kickstarter is, and what it isn't. It is a vehicle by which companies can skip over the messy investor stuff (like issuing private shares, negotiating ROI terms, etc.), and instead gift a product to their "shareholders." It is not a store, nor is it a "me-first" game delivery system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.