Escape: The Curse of the Temple» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Father and Daughter Found Buried in Temple rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
After a long day of Black Friday shopping including stopping at my FLGS for their annual 50% off ALL Board and Card games sale where I picked up:
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Mage Wars Arena
Sentinels of the Multiverse
King of Tokyo
Dixit: Journey
Android: Netrunner (2nd core set for deck building)
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game (who can resist more X-Wings and Tie Fighters at 50% off)

Of corse with all those games in the car, I couldnt wait to get home and play something. But you guys know how it goes, more Chirstmas shopping, out to eat, catch an afternoon movie (Wreck it Ralph) was very good for a kids movie, freeze to death while waiting for the giant Tree Lighting Ceremony, Friday Family Bowling night. Yes, our family packs alot of stuff into Black Fridayshake

We finally make it home and my oldest daughters get ready to go out, my wife hits the sack, and my youngest daughter says "Dad, lets wrap Christmas presents and then play some games". Now there is a girl after my own heart We get the presents wrapped and I open up Escape: The Curse of the Temple. My daughter who is 12, looks at the box and says "this looks fun, how long does it take?" I tell her 10 minutes and she says "Dad, we have NEVER finished a game in 10 minutes". Well lets just see. I had tried this once at BGG Con and enjoyed it and thought she might like it. She punched out all the tiles while I quickly went over the instructions.

She put in the CD and it was time for our first game of ESCAPE: The Curse of the Temple
Pure fun, frantic dice rolling and chaos ensue as we try to get gems and explore new chambers. Dad, I need a Gold Mask, quick, hurry, help me! After 9 minutes of hectic fun, she finds the Escape/Exit tile and starts rolling for keys. I get there shortly after her and as she screams "I have 4 keys, hurry Dad". She gives me an extra die and SLAM, I'm left behind. "Don't feel bad Dad, at least I won and got out alive"
Sorry Sophie, if one person is left behind WE all lose. "Ok, that was a super fun game Dad, can we please play it again?"

We played 4 more games and then she wanted to add in the Curse Tiles. This makes the game a little harder and some of the curses are pretty funny like having to place one hand on your forehead until you remove the curse or not being able to talk.

We get everything switched over to play with the Curse tiles and down into the Temple we go. Sorry you had to read all that fluff, this is the actual Session Report:

"Dad, are we sticking together or are you going to go off and explore on your own"
"Sophie, I am going to go left and get us a gem right away"
ESCAPE
My first roll is 2 Black Masks, then a 3rd
"Sophie, come help me, I need a Gold Mask"
"Dad,can you come over here, I am trying to get a gem also?"
By now I have rolled my 4th Black Mask
"Dad, I got us a gem, I'm on the way"
She gets to my chamber and I finally roll 1 Gold Mask with my last die at the same time that she yells
"Dad, I have a Gold for you"
I scoop all my dice and we are off and running again
We combine to pick up the gem in the room we are in together and we both roll runners for 2 new chambers.
Oh oh, I get the broken die one and she gets the golden mask
Now Im rolling with only 4 dice and it is a pain
"Dad, I need help, I have 4 Black Masks, lets throw the extra gem in the gem depot and get rid of the masks. I can't wait for you to get in this room, the walls are crushing me"
She grabs the extra gem which was a smart move as I suddenly had 3 black masks myself.
We scoop all of our black masks and hear the dreaded GONG

Time to hustle back to the Temple Start Tile
She is rolling like crazy and makes it back
I only have 4 dice and SLAM
The door is shut before I can get in there
Really bad news, I lose another die which puts me down to 3 unless I can get rid of this curse which is very tough now because I am only rolling 3 dice
We both start frantically rolling and exploring and I find the Escape/Exit tile SWEET
I run in there and scream for Sophie to hurry and join me when I realize the Temple's trap has been sprung
Just as she rolls and enters the Escape tile and we both can see sunlight and feel the fresh air from the opening on our cheeks
Terrible terrible news, right within our grasp FREEDOM from this cursed temple
We both look at the Gem Depot to see how many keys we need to escape, there are still 4 gems in there which means we need 5 Keys each to escape. I only have 3 dice and she only has 4shake
"Sophie, I have a plan, lets go back and try to find a Gem Chamber and get more gems, that will be our only way out"
GONG GONG
If we don't make it back to the Temple start we will each lose another die
We both start coughing as we try to make it back, no more sunlight, the air is so thick and smoky.
Walls are crumbling around us
Black evil masks everywhere, we need gold masks and they are nowhere to be found
The Curse of the Temple is in full effect
3 Black Masks for me, and 4 for her
We hug tightly and hold on as the walls tumble around us
We find a crevice and huddle beneath it, the Temple shakes and we are buried beneath tons of rock and debris

Even though we lost, this game was a total blast. We ended up playing 8 games in a row and my daughter said this was her favorite game. The music-back ground noises do a great job of adding that doom and gloom feeling to the game as the tempo gets really fast after a GONG and toward the end of the game. I was amazed at how fast I could roll and scoop dice even with one hand on my head.

Once it is set up, the game does only take 10 minutes or less to play since that is how long you have to Escape the Temple.

This is a perfect light filler, party game that seems perfect for gamers and non-gamers alike. Great for both kids and adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome session report!

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chapa
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome read! I hope I can have this much fun when my daughter gets to that age...something to look forward to years from now. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. I tried this yesterday and my "quick go" turned into 4 solo games. Can't wait to try it with the family later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
Great report. I tried this yesterday and my "quick go" turned into 4 solo games. Can't wait to try it with the family later today.

Well when we first opened this game a few nights ago, it was supposed to be the light filler and lead into other games. We NEVER played anything else that night.

I think we have around 15 plays now and although we have won our fair share, I think my dice suffer from the Black Mask Curse. It is uncanny how many times I have rolled 3 Black Masks, scoop up 2 of my keys or torches, then roll 2 more Black Maskssoblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophonechapa wrote:
Awesome read! I hope I can have this much fun when my daughter gets to that age...something to look forward to years from now. laugh

I am lucky enough to have 3 wonderful daughters and it is certainly something to look forward to. Play lots of fun kid games with her when she is young and hopefully she will enjoy playing more games that you enjoy as she gets older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to get in a practice game (no time limit) then a proper game with my son (9) then another game with mum, for 3 of us. Lost the first real game, by the skin of our teeth (one key needed, as time ran out) and then won easily since, to encourage the rest, I'd played the exit into about the halfway mark in the tile deck. My better half often says we get too regularly beaten by the co-ops, so I was keen for a good first impression.

Result: all 3 of us are converts. Tomorrow night we've friends round and if the numbers are right I am sure this will be out again... and again!

Another couple of goes and we'll be ready for the the Curses & Treasures, which I'm looking forward to.

Solo was good. 2p was better. 3 was great. Can't wait to try more - the chaos must be nuts. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bedell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was considering writing a session report, then I saw your post. That summarizes all that anyone needs to know to realize that this is a MUST HAVE family game. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.