Rob Veenenberg
Netherlands
Vinkeveen
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Fighters can be positioned for example on Caen after the Allies has taken the city. When Germans move in they first are strafed: say 8 units move in and Caen is patrolled by 2 fighters then each fighter may shoot one at each German unit!! So 16 dice rolls may eliminate 3 German units. The Germans then can attack then with only 5 units left.......
Say they lose 2 units so 3 are left and naturally did not take the zone.

In the next turn the Allies reinforce Caen and attack the remaining 3 German units which are easily routed and the Allies themselves lose only 1 unit.

This example illustrates German counter attacks are pretty costly and because of Allied air not very succesful either.
Say that the 2 bombers rout another unit (or 2 units) the Germans have small chances to retake a lost victory city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the abstract nature of the game, I think the way airpower works is fairly realistic. It was a huge factor in the Allied success.

I don't think bombers can target an area which also contains Allied ground forces. Actually positioning of fighters and AA-guns respectively is the main tactical aspect of the game. The Germans just need to plan ahead and makesure those cities are garrisoned ASAP because when the Allied ground forces close in, it is often too late for the reason you just brought up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Veenenberg
Netherlands
Vinkeveen
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Yes: placing Fighters and German Flak guns are the most crucial moves (and units)
Jan Ozimek: I agree. But Normandy was also a dogged infantry fight for the hedged (Baocage) and an area where at least 5000 tanks moved around backed up by 10.000's of artillery, shelling day and night!!!!
Losses were tremendous: 300.000 Allied soldiers and 300.000 Germans until 20th August. Both lost ca 65.000 men KIA in the actual battles until that day. Germans lost for sure 1500 tanks and the Allies about double that number.

So to make a game where Allies fighters rules and are contested by "1" needed die rolls of German flaks....... is a one sided story.

Germans have 30+ guns on the board and must mass at least 3 guns per zone to be able to threat Allied fighters....(50% chance to shoot down 1 fighter). So Germans must carefully select some area's to place their Flak (south of St. Lo and in St.Lo). East of Caen and in Caen.
Cherbourg should also defended by Flak to withheld Bombers which can zapp strength from the defences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.