Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The rules need to be scrubbed by a native English speaker. Too many nuanced phrases that are ambiguous.

2. The iconography is close, but could be superb. Start with the circular worker placement board. It should be scrapped and replaced with a board organized with more information. Put all non exclusive actions on one side. Add icons, such as for the transaction action, a port and market X1.

3. The rules need summaries. For example, it is noted only once that a ship can build a port. A summary table would make this clear.

4. Optional tables for random end game triggers and VP scoring that are independent of each other. Then everyone should be happy, and can play with them hidden or open, or with the cards.

5. The huts should be standardized. The rectangular ones are not on the board IV.

6. This is personal taste, but the revolting natives' icon doesn't fit. They would not stick their tongues out, they would stick their spears out. Without getting into the whole white man/brown man good/bad thing, I think we could agree that there was plenty of slaughter going on by both sides. The goofy look on the natives just seems to make light of a serious, deadly situation. Nothing else in the presentation is so light or comical.

I love this game, I love this era, and I love games about this era. This does so much so well. The exploration is as fun as exploration should be. The tension of distant drumbeats and too few actions is palpable. The interaction works, so it's not solitaire. Well done M. Boelinger! Please take this constructive criticism in the context of this game's excellence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the graphic design issues.

On point 5, Huts plus resources on each tile always = 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
1. The rules need to be scrubbed by a native English speaker. Too many nuanced phrases that are ambiguous.

2. The iconography is close, but could be superb. Start with the circular worker placement board. It should be scrapped and replaced with a board organized with more information. Put all non exclusive actions on one side. Add icons, such as for the transaction action, a port and market X1.

3. The rules need summaries. For example, it is noted only once that a ship can build a port. A summary table would make this clear.

4. Optional tables for random end game triggers and VP scoring that are independent of each other. Then everyone should be happy, and can play with them hidden or open, or with the cards.

5. The huts should be standardized. The rectangular ones are not on the board IV.

6. This is personal taste, but the revolting natives' icon doesn't fit. They would not stick their tongues out, they would stick their spears out. Without getting into the whole white man/brown man good/bad thing, I think we could agree that there was plenty of slaughter going on by both sides. The goofy look on the natives just seems to make light of a serious, deadly situation. Nothing else in the presentation is so light or comical.

I love this game, I love this era, and I love games about this era. This does so much so well. The exploration is as fun as exploration should be. The tension of distant drumbeats and too few actions is palpable. The interaction works, so it's not solitaire. Well done M. Boelinger! Please take this constructive criticism in the context of this game's excellence.

1. I find the rules to be quite clear. I think the translation is fine.

2. The actions board is odd to be sure, but I don't find it impedes game play.

3. I could not agree more. This game screams for a rules summary. This is a definite oversight.

4. Yeah, I can see how this might be nice.

5. Definitely agree. I have no idea why they chose to confuse things with this iconography. Huts should have been standardized.

In any case, I love this game as well. A new favorite for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia -> Poznań
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:

Try to google "Maori Warrior" - in Western Civilization sticking tounge seams goofy, but in Maori culture this gesture is aggresive and is intended to scare enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
topdeckgames wrote:

I thought the rulebook was one of the best I've seen.

As to the huts, I love the non–cookie-cutter aspect of it.

As someone else has pointed out, a lot of thought went into this game, in all regards—including the native warrior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're right about the Maori, but it still seems more comical than threatening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gewar wrote:
topdeckgames wrote:

Try to google "Maori Warrior" - in Western Civilization sticking tounge seams goofy, but in Maori culture this gesture is aggresive and is intended to scare enemy.

Some examples from one of my favorite movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7-_Z03Aw4#t=0m52s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pf1JfTdGl4#t=1m16s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gewar wrote:
topdeckgames wrote:

This is historical fact, and that's why we used that. When natives reach this behavior and stick their tongue out it usually meant this was the end for their enemies. No funny or gooffy look intended. I guess on that part, maybe we didnt guess that most people wouldn't know about that not so famous fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chris Boelinger wrote:

This is historical fact, and that's why we used that. When natives reach this beech avoir and sticker their tongue out it usually meant this was the end for them. No funny or gooffy look intended. I guess on that part, maybe we didnt guess that most people wouldn't know about that not so famous fact.

Uh..? Some native English speaker please translate that

Nothing personal, Chris, love your work and thanks for taking the time to answer here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops IPad auto correction in French while I'm trying to type English... Bad results. It's corrected in the post and here under. I hope it makes more sense now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is historical fact, and that's why we used that. When natives reach this behavior and stick their tongue out it usually meant this was the end for their enemies. No funny or gooffy look intended. I guess on that part, maybe we didnt guess that most people wouldn't know about that not so famous fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
I assumed it was based on Maori/Polynesian culture. In the haka, part of the threat display is widening the eyes and sticking out the tongue. Even today, it's not the healthiest act to laugh when someone does that to you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I did realize the significance of the tongue-as-insult in some cultures, I actually found the 'goofyness' thing quite advantageous in a highly social and (to some) thematically off-putting game. If the game was super serious I could share their concern, but it isn't--at least not with our group. The harsher aspects of colonialism seems mitigated by the fun group aspects and the 'I'm not doing any work for you so NYAA' iconagraphy.

At least, that's how I choose to interpret it for those who might have a problem with a game of introducing economics to native peoples. ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.