Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group have enjoyed a couple of games recently, Settlers of Catan and Mare Nostrum - we have several others in our sights, namely Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean and Bohnanza, are these games any good.

Oh and can anyone recommend any other games with an active trading mechanic, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly!

j/k whistle

City of Horror has a pretty srong bargaining mechanic.

7 Wonders has a light trading mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mueller
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is a great family style trading game. It can be quick (Pull out some high point beans and once through the deck) or longer, but it is never too lengthy. It is also good for young players as well as old.

My favorite gamer's trading game is "Genoa", or "Traders of Genoa". It has some movement and some luck, but no way you can do all you want without trading. Some gamers play this as a negotiation game, and it can drag down. That is up to your players.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chinatown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is a great trading game! Relatively light, quick to learn and very replayable. Mainly for 3-6 players but my boyfriend and I have enjoyed it as a light 2 player game as well with the variant rules.

Traders of Genoa is another interesting trading game with a bit more strategic depth, for 3-5 players (there is a 2 player option but I haven't tried it and am skeptical).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly sure if these will fit your criteria, but there's trading going on:

- mundus novus
- before the wind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Baricz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Wealth of Nations has a good amount of trading in it, also an excellent game. Watch a review on it, its great. It's a economics game about running a nation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetworks wrote:
Monopoly!

j/k :whistle:

City of Horror has a pretty srong bargaining mechanic.

7 Wonders has a light trading mechanic.

ya not sure if I would call 7 Wonders even light trading...it is more using than trading. You have to pass a set of cards and take one and then pass, so no "trading" there. Sure I think the rules say that you "trade" with your neighbour but they have no say in the matter so you aren't really trading anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for pure trading I would say that Bohnanza is probably the best as it does play a huge part of the game. Another interesting game to check out for the trading aspect would be Tower of Babel. It is a very under rated game. It only plays 3-5, but has great interaction, is quick and easy to learn and has some strategy to it. It is an area control game at its core and I will admit isn't much to look at, but it plays really well. I would personally take Tower of Babel over Bohnanza as i find it overall a much funner game to play.

unfortunately the only video is in dutch. if you have a quick look at the rules you can kind of follow the video. I got ToB in a trade and have to say it was a total hidden gem of a game. I think it doesn't get much love due to the artwork and look of the game. Realistically it could have probably been a card game but the board does make it feel more substantial. if you do get it don't play with the blue cards that comes with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also try Colosseum. It is a great game e it has some trading, altough it is not its focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Wealth of Nations. My favorite negotiation game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery

Every turn consists of multiple phases revolving around wheeling and dealing, plotting and back stabbing. Plus there are arena battles where the host can bargain over whether the losing gladiator is put to death or not.

A lot of fun in a game with a pervasive theme and simple mechanics.

Perfect if you like your trading with a side of scheming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
中和 罗
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pit

Masters of Commerce

+1 Chinatown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the brilliant suggestions, I am now looking into getting chinatown and Genoa.

Has anyone played Parthenon, it looks like trading is a major mechanic in the game, but often hear people saying its too luck based and has some pretty brutal cards effects.

Also does the newer sid meiers influencedCivilization have a trading element, I notice the older version with the same title from 1980 does..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're enjoying Empires of the Void which has a similar amount of trading as Settlers - but with the bonus (if you like that sort of thing) of a space theme, as well as more open trading as there are more options of what you can throw into your trade offer (e.g money, diplomacy cards, access to your planet's resources etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.