4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Intriguing but abandoned game ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have toyed with these ideas, but have not been able to make them work. Does anyone have more such ideas? The wilder the better.

Super Canasta

Canasta started as a fairly simple game, but soon a lot of variants were developed. The variants typically gave more freedom and bonuses for players.

So my imaginary super canasta starts as a very basic quadruple-deck canasta. However, among playing cards there are special cards that give special abilities for the team playing the special card. The abilities would last until the end of the deal. These abilities are such that are typically found in Canasta variants. The could include: The ability to take the discard pile with one natural and one wild card, the ability to freeze the discard pile, the ability to meld sequences of cards ("sambas"), that a canasta of aces gives a bonus, the ability to meld a canasta of twos etc...

Super Android Whist

I developed a variant of whist where both teams have a human player and an android. So there are only two human players. Both players see, in addition to their own hand, the hand of the opposing android and can give simple commands to the friendly android (such as "play your lowest heart", "beat the high card in the trick with the lowest possible card" etc...), which the human opponent executes on behalf of the android.

The game worked OK with a small fixed number of commands.

Then I thought that it would be nice if the players cound "tune" their androids between deals. The idea was to have a command deck where the players would draw cards that described possible extra commands, maybe giving more cards to the winner of the hand. The players would start with a very limited command set, but it would increase during the game. I could not make it work.

Programming game

The rules of the game are represented as a computer program consisting of cards where there are commands. The players alter the program according to the rules of the game on the fly, as the purpose to execute the command that specifies them as the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea for a time travel game where players start in the 31st century and have to get back to the 21st century, while being pursued by time police who restrict time travel.

The idea was to have loops of spaces, with the outermost loop being the 31st century and the innermost space being the 21st century. It was roll and move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Punainen Nörtti wrote:

Super Canasta
The ability to take the discard pile with one natural and one wild card,

the ability to freeze the discard pile,

the ability to meld a canasta of twos etc...

For what it's worth these three, at least, have been in every 'standard' set of Canasta rules I've seen:

- You can take the discard with one natural matching the top card and one wild card iff it hasn't been stopped by a wildcard since the last pickup

- You can stop the discard to prevent other players from taking it with either a black three or a wildcard; the black three stops it for the next player, the wildcard has the extra effect of requiring an entirely natural meld from the player's hand to take the discard in the future.

- You can make a meld or even a canasta of either wildcard so long as it's the last meld you make on the turn that you go out.

(Melds of straights are, of course, available in lots of other rummy-derived games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

For what it's worth these three, at least, have been in every 'standard' set of Canasta rules I've seen:

I tried to make the basic game so that it only has those elements that are common to all canasta variant.

Quote:

- You can take the discard with one natural matching the top card and one wild card iff it hasn't been stopped by a wildcard since the last pickup

The classic canasta (i.e. vanilla) rules allow this, but for example modern American rules and Samba rules do not allow this.

Quote:

- You can make a meld or even a canasta of either wildcard so long as it's the last meld you make on the turn that you go out.

This is not allowed in the most common "vanilla" rules, which can be found for example from www.pagat.com, and which were called "official" in 1940s-1960s literature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.