Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation
Venue: Osaka
Active Player: Ishida
Besieged Force: Ishida (The lone Toyotomi Disk)
Besieging Force: Tokugawa (4 blocks)

For the Ishida player, all 5 gold blocks in the Mori Box have already perished during previous battles. Luckily, he has 4 Kobayakawa blocks in his Recruitment Box.

The Ishida player declares a Mustering and moves the 4 Kobayakawa blocks from his Recruitment Box to Osaka, hoping to initiate a counter-attack against Tokugawa's besieging force.

At this moment, the Tokugawa player states that such mustering is invalid, because:
7.2 Mustering -> Mustering Into Combat wrote:
Blocks can be Mustered into a combat situation only if the combat was initiated by blocks on the board - an attack cannot come from the Recruitment Box.
And that Ishida's attack is not initiated by blocks on the board. All those blocks come from the Recruitment Box.

The Ishida player disagrees. He states that as long as Osaka is under Ishida's control, he can Muster blocks to fight the besieging force outside the castle.

Which player is correct? Tokugawa or Ishida?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't muster into combat using only recruited blocks.

However, it should be fairly easy in the Osaka region for Ishida to use a "Limited" action to move units into Osaka from somewhere else and then muster the blocks into combat.

If that's not possible, then it's game over anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with Matt.

While blocks (if any) in the Mori box would immediately arrive, to move blocks from the recruitment box requires first moving an on-board block to the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you and I agree to both of you!

From the rule I quoted above, it is clearly written that the combat has to be "initiated by blocks on the board".

The Toyotomi Disk is neither a block nor can it initiate a combat. Therefore, the above-mentioned mustering is invalid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok. Then if its a block instead of a disk who is besieged, then we can muster there?

Ex:Two besieged blocks in Aizu castle(also a recruitement location). I can muster there?
All the block will then have to do a battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess the easiest is to read the FAQ about mustering.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76332/sekigahara-faq

All your answers are there.

Quote:
Mustering:
You can muster units into combat, but only as the attacker, and only when the combat is initiated by on-board units.
(Why only as the attacker? Because only then do you get a movement phase during which mustering can occur.)

Mustering and movement can occur in either order during the movement phase of a turn. To assault an enemy-controlled location capable of friendly mustering, (a) move at least one friendly unit into the location, and then (b) muster any units from off board to join in the attack.

If the location already includes friendly units (because it is a besieged castle) then you can simply muster and fight. Remember that mustered units appear in the location but not in the castle, so there is no option to muster and decline combat.
Can I muster into an empty recruitment space (occupied by neither side) of a friendly daimyo? Yes. Or do I have to have at least one of my blocks at each recruitment location to be able to muster? No.
Can I muster into my recruitment space which is currently occupied the enemy and has no friendly forces? No. However, if a there was a single enemy block besieging a single friendly block at a Reinforcement point, would mustering at least 3 units there create an Overrun? Yes.
Besieged units are sufficient presence to permit mustering into that location. (Note that the mustered units arrive in the location, not in the castle. This means you'll have to fight outside the castle on the turn they arrive.)
You can only muster into a combat initiated by pieces on the board. Since a disk by itself cannot initiate a combat, blocks cannot be mustered there to support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if there is only one besieged block in a recruitement location and I recruit one block in the Location, I am obliged to fight a battle with two blocks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maedhros wrote:
So, if there is only one besieged block in a recruitement location and I recruit one block in the Location, I am obliged to fight a battle with two blocks?

FAQ is clear and you are in a mustering into combat situation

Mustering Into Combat:
Blocks can be Mustered into a combat situation only if the combat was initiated by blocks on the board—an attack cannot come from the Recruitment Box, but it can be supported from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the quotation, Bertrand.

The original thread is here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/700833/mustering-further-cla...
and Matt Calkins' answer here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7495078#7495078

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.