Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Battle of Corinth: Standoff at the Tennessee, October 3-4, 1862» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Battle of Corinth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On November 24 2012, I attended an annual gamers meeting called FatDog(Friday after thanksgiving Day of gaming).

I scheduled myself and another fella StuartS. to play an oldie but goodie.
SPI Volume VI in the GBACW, Battle of Corinth.
We decided to play the free setup scenario. Not favorable for the Union IMO.

So here we go,
As the Confederate commander you are required to inform the Union commander of one of your divisions entre areas. Then the Union sets up all his units with some of his own restrictions.
For this game I decided to do a withdrawal defense and not allow the Confederates to close so I may build a defense around my redans.

The first known Confederate entre was area "A" from the north by Bg Maury division with three bgds., Jackson cav bgd. on his left and accompanied by Mg VanDorn.
I set up my northern defense with Bg McKean division of three bgds., Col. Mizner cav bgd. on his left backed by 3 batteries.

On turn two the Confederates bring in thier second division Bg Hebert with four bgds. and cav bgd. Col. Armstrong from area "B". I started my withdrawal at this point. My though was to not allow the Confederates to use any type of road movement and stall him as long as I could.
On turn three the Conderates brought in thier third division Mg Lovell with his three bgds. accompanied by Mg Price who enters by way of area "F" and is confront by Bg Stanley division of two bgds.
This minor engagement starts the count down of four turns for Union division Bg Davies and his three bgds. who had to stay in the area of the Tishumingo hotel just out side the city(west), of Corinth until an engagement came about.

On turn four the Confederate division under lovell take thier first 2 redans on the west side of map(bottom), and force the Union division Stanley back.
But committing these units in a fight with Stanley division allows me to send Bg Hamilton division of two bgds. north and flank Lovell division.

Turn six to the north Union Bg McKean division is still preforming a great withdrawal in front of an overwhelming force of two large Confederate divisions Bgs Hebert & Maury and thier two cav bgds. Armstrong & Jackson.
Except for a minor Union cav engagement with Confederate bgd Rust who is also wound in the fight all is quite.
On the west Lovell division is having a hard time of it and dealing with four bgds.
But after the engagements the toll will be to high for the Union. Both Mizner & Mower bgds are BCE'd.

The Union is very unfavorable is this game. Historically they may have had more men, not much.
But the Union reaching BCE a lot easier and faster(low morale), then the Confederates. That is a problem for the Union player.

To be continued
See you soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great stuff Thomas!! More soon, I hope!

---Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Thomas-Great reading.Corinth always one of my favorites from the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for something to hold you over.
View session, River of Death, Full Battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the developer on this game and I have fond memories of it. I think it's either the best or second best in the original game series.

On a side note, my g-g-grandfather, Gideon Smith, was elected Col. of the 9th Texas Cavalry shortly before this battle. But Gen. Van Dorn overthrew all the elections in all units. Gid and all his other officers in the 9th resigned their commissions and went back to Texas, probably saving most of their lives. So thanks Gen. Van Dorn!

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Eric,
Thank you very much for your efforts and decades of enjoyment.
The early GBACW will always make it to my table for play.
I can't say I have a favorite, although TSSII is up there.

These were the only games I played and collected for about 30+ years.
Now we're at the beginnings of RoD, full battle(posted here naturally). Recently its LoB/RSS and even more recently COA, LaBataille series.

Being a civil war nut, I found them to be rich with detail and accuracy.
And the play is nice & easy, easy to understand too.
Thomas GBACW nut

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.