Popular Tags: [View All]
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we were in the Local Comic Shop and my daughter saw the newest edition of Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game. Of course being a game and being vaguely related to princesses in any way shape or form, she instantly wanted it.

As with most things this time of year, we told her she had to wait to see what Santa brings.

The reviews on BGG suggest it more for slightly older kids because of some of the words and possible darker themes. So, is there anything that is similar and works around telling a story that might be appropriate and fun for a fairly advanced 5 year old?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Upon a Time is good although you might take a look at Rory's Story Cubes and Story Realms as well. Though the latter will not be out until next year. I've also heard that Tales of the Arabian Nights is also great but definitely more complicated than most 5 year olds could handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:

Is probably your best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Steph
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Tell Tale: Fairy Tale?

Dice tower review available here: http://www.dicetower.com/game_reviews/t/tell-tale-fairy-tale...

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Rory's Story Cubes recommendation. It also has the added bonus of being able to get Rory's Story Cubes: Actions & Rory's Story Cubes: Voyages as well- so either as ideas for others to get her or ideas for the next birthday & christmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 5 and likes both sets of Rory's Story Cubes (i.e., original and actions). So add another vote for the Story Cube line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw the thread and assumed it was based on playing Rory's Story Cubes and looking for something else that scratches a similar itch.

Needless to say, I recommend Rory's. I've seen it at Barnes and Noble and Target within the last month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it looks like I'll be getting Rory's Story Cubes pretty soon then.

That Tell Tale looks interesting as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Francisco
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this when its available?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/478379924/gnomes-the-gre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids really like Tell Tale by Blue Orange Games. It comes in a small tin like Spot it!. The only version on BGG is Tell Tale, which also goes by Tell Tale: Fairy Tales. For some reason the other versions don't qualify as a board game here on BGG.

The game consists of a bunch of cards with really cute images on each side of the card. I'd go into more detail, but it is hard on the phone and I promised my 4yr old he could play on it before we get back on the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two Tell Tale versions work well with my kids too -- given a choice, they'd probably give them a slight edge over Rory's Story Cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmcampbell wrote:
So, we were in the Local Comic Shop and my daughter saw the newest edition of Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game. Of course being a game and being vaguely related to princesses in any way shape or form, she instantly wanted it.

So, is there anything that is similar and works around telling a story that might be appropriate and fun for a fairly advanced 5 year old?

A lot of votes for Rory's Story Cubes here. My son was 5 when we got them for him. He is now six and the only use of the cubes has been for building a wall to knock down with his plastic Angry Birds characters.

Imagination aside, not all kids will respond to the black and white images of Rory's. My son is very creative, intelligent (he holds his own in the game Eclipse: New Dawn For the Galaxy at age 6)

You mention three selling points here:
1) Princesses
2) capable of holding the interest of a child who has a brain, but is not yet building model rockets
3) age appropriate content (no dark imagery or scary stuff)

eeBoo has a series of games titled "Tell Me A Story" with colorful, artistic cards. And the one your daughter might just ADORE is "Tell Me A Story - Fairy Tale Mixup"

A spinner game by the same company is "Fairytale Spinner Game" by eeBoo. Both games won the distinguished Oppenheim Best Toy Award.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Rory's Story Cubes and Once Upon a Time in my class.

Though the latter is a modified version - more of a shared story creation tool. I give the kids a hand of three cards, and in random order each one adds a sentence to the story that must include one of the things on one of their cards. Works well - though they are 7-9 year olds. I could see a similarly modified version working for a younger child. Baron Munchausen has a kids version, and Happy Birthday Robot is good (though both are, again, probably more suited to an older audience).

Don Dennis and I talk about story telling games in our latest episode of Games in Schools and Libraries - though I don't think we mention any games that are better than those suggested so far. (yes - that's a shameless plug)

Good luck! Let us know if you try something and how it goes! I for one am always looking for new games suitable for kids!

Cheers,
Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go off the board and suggest an actual RPG. Mermaid Adventures has a very simple system and lets the kids play mermaids. ALthough it's typically played with several players there's no reason you and your daughter couldn't play it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a side note: I noticed that both of the storytelling games I mentioned were not listed on BGG. The reason for this is that it is not obvious from the eeBoo website description that these are, in fact "games" with players competing, a process of gameplay, and a possible "winner".

Of course there is a version of each that can be played solo. But the 2-4 player versions are legitimate games with players trying to collect the necessary elements of their story with each turn.

In the card games, players can trade or discard/draw an unwanted card for a desired one. It can be completed in two or three rounds, but most often takes a bit more.

In the spinner game, players spin for the desired components: a scene, a hero, a magical helper, a rival, a magical object, transportation, and a treasure.

The first player to complete the task of collecting the required elements is the winner and had the *privilege* of telling his or her story, with all of the drama he or she desires. So, they have been submitted for inclusion on BGG site. YAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try something from the Dixit Family of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Rory's Story Cubes. We bought some for our nephews last year and they were a big hit. OK, so more of an activity than a game, but in my mind a very positive activity for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another +1 for Rory's Story Cubes.

Been using these with our daughter (who turns 4 today... happy birthday, Caroline!) for the past year.

One thing I've really appreciated about these dice is that Caroline's approach to using the dice has quite noticably evolved. She's gone from copying the stories I've made up to generating some of her own ideas. She even will just play with them on her own, telling stories out loud while I'm working in the kitchen.

All of which to say it's a great game that can be adapted as you child grows.

(And none of the above is intended to make the OP of this geeklist any worse than they already do! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a little off the board game path, but perhaps consider a story RPG like Happy Birthday, Robot! or Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple, both from Daniel Solis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thank you for all of the recommendations of Rory's Story Cubes. She got both sets in her stocking this morning.

After she opened all of her presents, she played with her cabbage patch kid, then told us a story with the cubes. Then played Lego Batman, then told us a story with the cubes. Then to grandma's who she told a story with the cubes. Then he other grandma's. Storynwith the cubes. Back home, story wih the cubes. We haven't even looked at the how to play yet, but she already loves telling stories. Thanks guys.

I still plan on checking out Tell Tale and Happy Birthday Robot when I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.