Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Winter is coming.* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
29 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He never promised that winter would be here.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
$5 says the books end with winter arriving.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(SOMEONE) wearily limped towards the window and gazed out on the darkening sky as the snow began to fall.

Winter had arrived.









There, I saved you all the trouble.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
Avatar
mb
Always a series now.

Why not write one damn fine book and just wait to see if a sequel is warranted?
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends told me about the backstory concerning the Others, and their return, and I thought "that could be interesting"

So I got the first book out from the library, read half way, looked at the synopsis for it and the rest of the published books on the wiki. And went and read something else.

Cool badguys, that nobody really believes in anymore, coming back from legend to mess everyone up.
= coolcoolcool

4 or 5 books worth of scheming dynastic struggle, blah blah blah.
= snoresnoresnore

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Banichi wrote:
One of my friends told me about the backstory concerning the Others, and their return, and I thought "that could be interesting"

So I got the first book out from the library, read half way, looked at the synopsis for it and the rest of the published books on the wiki. And went and read something else.

Cool badguys, that nobody really believes in anymore, coming back from legend to mess everyone up.
= coolcoolcool

4 or 5 books worth of scheming dynastic struggle, blah blah blah.
= snoresnoresnore



Funny you should say that, because the dynastic struggle is the interesting part--it is the standard fantasy parts that are the boring aspect.

GRRM is most interesting when he looks to history, not mythology.

Diis
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:


Funny you should say that, because the dynastic struggle is the interesting part--it is the standard fantasy parts that are the boring aspect.

GRRM is most interesting when he looks to history, not mythology.

Diis


Exactly. I tell friend that want to read it that in most part, this is not a high fantasy novel. It's a story of intrigue and politics, and takes and interesting look at human nature that pretty much follows our own during the European dark ages.

This ain't Tolkien.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Diis wrote:


Funny you should say that, because the dynastic struggle is the interesting part--it is the standard fantasy parts that are the boring aspect.

GRRM is most interesting when he looks to history, not mythology.

Diis


Exactly. I tell friend that want to read it that in most part, this is not a high fantasy novel. It's a story of intrigue and politics, and takes and interesting look at human nature that pretty much follows our own during the European dark ages.

This ain't Tolkien.


It must be a case of different strokes for different folks then.

I read a lot of history, and if I'm going to read about a human power struggle I'd rather read about something like the Sengoku period in Japan. Or the War of the Roses, rather than something fictional. (I think I read somewhere that the author of GOT drew inspiration from the War of the Roses.) I read fantasy and sci-fi for the escapisim, and for a change of pace.

When I get my hands on a fantasy book I want it to be fantastic damn it.laugh
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, here's an idea for those wanting to write novels that highlight history and intrigue and all that jazz: Don't start your book with some really cool undead sort of dude with Paul Newman eyes who sort of screws with people at will, ravaging towns and driving sworn protectors of the realm to desertion, and then switch to your standard dwarves, incestuous royals, nosy little boys, and rudely beheaded-yet-beloved patriarchs. Boring! Plus, as indicated nearly a million times: We all know how great fresh bread can be, George!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
People watching HBO must be like, but, but, but, BUT there was that guy with the bright blue contacts last season! They played ominous music AND EVERYTHING. **

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Unless they are going WAY off the books next season.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is that relegated to HBO viewers? The threat from the North was utterly downplayed after the first chapter of the first book. Now we're all on pins and needles waiting to see who is screwing up everything at the magisters' collegium, or whatever the hell it's called. Screw Game of Thrones, I'll go reread The Belgariad while I wait for Martin to figure out how to finish this story.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I'll go reread The Belgariad while I wait for Martin to figure out how to finish this story.


laugh

Sounds like a plan. Although given the lenght of time you are talking about you could probably fit the Malloreon in there as well.



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.