Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

P.I.» Forums » Rules

Subject: Evidence card in same location as Case Card but different to Case Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trev
Australia
St Kilda
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules cover the following scenarios:
1. Evidence Card = Case Card > put disc on tile matching Evidence Card
2. Case Card in adjacent location > put cube on tile matching Evidence Card
3. if a cube on an investigator corresponds to the Evidence Card then you must be told so you can move it to the tile matching the Evidence Card.

The rules state (when using Evidence Cards) "if a cube/disc is placed then it must be placed on a tile".

The rules do not appear to cover the situation where the Evidence Card tile is in the same location as the Case Card but different to the Case Card.

There is no cube to move from an investigator to the tile and/or you cannot put a disc/cube on a tile so the correct response by a strict application of the rules is no information was gained. However this is misleading and it would cause a lot of confusion.

Have I missed some simple logic in the rules?

We house ruled this situation by placing a disc on the location, not on a tile (contrary to the rules as written), indicating that one of the tiles matching Case Card was at that location but it did not match the Evidence Card.

I played PI with my children and it worked really well. I love how the game removes the pen and paper work of deduction games by accounting for information on the board. Hey I am happy to share the love with Brass and P.I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evidence cards only give information about their particular type of evidence. So a crime card only tells you if the crime is correct or adjacent, it says nothing about the suspects or locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:
Evidence cards only give information about their particular type of evidence. So a crime card only tells you if the crime is correct or adjacent, it says nothing about the suspects or locations.

We didn't get that from the rules.

Here's what the English rules state (my bold):

"This action allows you to investigate one particular aspect of your
case. You select one Evidence card from those on display. The player
to your right must indicate how accurate this Evidence card is. If the
Evidence card matches one of the Case cards he or she holds then
they will tell you to place a disc on the matching tile. If the tile in
question is in an adjacent location to the tile on the Evidence card
then they will tell you to place a cube on the tile.
"

The rule is vague about the situation the OP described. Your solution -- that an Evidence card can only be used to locate tiles of the same type (suspect, crime, location) makes sense, but it's not clear in the rules.

That changes everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:

Yep. Martin Wallace has confirmed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Runkst wrote:

That's cool. Did he do that publicly and, if so, can you post the link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolás Gómez
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
Eldard wrote:
Runkst wrote:

That's cool. Did he do that publicly and, if so, can you post the link?

Martin Wallace said this in this video: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/22251/pi/pi-overview-spiel-20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.