Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My wife and I are looking to get a new television for Xmas, and I was hoping to poll the community for a good value television for under $1000

Here's what we want:
1) 48-55" flat screen
2) Good resolution and refresh for
*Movies
*Video Games (Xbox 360)
*Cable Television
3) Would probably wall-mount, though a stand-mount is not out of the question.

Sound probably is not an issue because I would be planning to route sound through a stereo with floor speakers.

Any advice, or things I should take into consideration? Praise / horror stories?

Some models we looked at at first blush:

Vizio M550VSE
Vizio E552VLE
Samsung UN55EH6000
Sanyo DP55441
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know the model # but we got a Vizio 42in about 2 years ago and it's really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brulet
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just bought an LG some months ago and love it.

At first we were looking at a Samsung to replace my 10 year young model that died, but looking at the colors on the wall o'teles the LG clearly won out.

Plasma, but haven't seen any issues and the picture is crisp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased two new flatscreen TV's in 2009

the 40" Samsung LED TV is fantastic thumbsup
there is nothing wrong with the 36" Samsung LCD

cable TV and DVDs come in great
I do not have a game console

today your can better TVs for 1/3 to 1/2 of what I paid in 2009

I think you may want more than two HDMI imputs, look for 3 or 4
Cable and a DVD player will each need one

I think the LG TVs are also good products

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in 2008 we bought a Dynex 42" LCD from Best Buy, and it has worked like a champ. It even survived the move from Shreveport to Kansas City with no problems. (Dynex is the "house brand" for Best Buy, and I think it's made by the same factories that make LG, although I could be mistaken.) When watching TV over the antenna (we don't have cable) sometimes the picture pixilates, but not very often. When we watch a DVD or stream a movie off Vudu, Hulu, or Amazon, they always look great.

Ours sits on a long, narrow side table we picked up at a thrift store. I made some shelves to fit underneath the table to hold our receiver, Blu-Ray, VCR, and CD players. I run all the sound outputs through the receiver and into a pair of Polk M-30s, and we get great audio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't had any problems with the Vizio we got a couple years ago. I'm guessing they're well within your price range, as our 42" was around $500 at the time, and I know they're cheaper now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
We picked up a 51" Samsung and are very happy with it. The biggest question for us was Plasma or LCD. After viewing a lot of models of both we went with plasma. The biggest factor was that we sometimes host people for viewing parties (football and Game of Thrones) and the plasma had significantly better viewing angles. The trade-off is plasma is more apt to glare and reflection, but it's easy enough for us to just dim the lights and close the blinds ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't go wrong with a Samsung LED TV. They make really nice ones.

There are a lot of excellent brands, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 50" Samsung. Fantastic product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
My old TV is dying and we are going through the exact same process.

We don't have cable, so our goal with the new TV is to get built-in Wi-Fi so that we can watch Hulu and Netflix without difficulty. It usually puts the TVs into the next bracket, sadly. My gut tells me, though, if I'm going to spend the money, it is better to buy something for $800 - $1000 that will be useful for the next 5-10 years than buying something that won't be able to handle updated tech for $600 - $800 and be left in the lurch.

Here's what I'm looking at:
Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50
VIZIO M3D470KD
Samsung UN50ES6100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sisteray wrote:
VIZIO M3D470KD
Samsung UN50ES6100

Thanks, Morgan. I'll add those to my review list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
sisteray wrote:
VIZIO M3D470KD
Samsung UN50ES6100

Thanks, Morgan. I'll add those to my review list.

If you beat me to the punch on any of these let me know what you get and what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

We don't have cable, so our goal with the new TV is to get built-in Wi-Fi so that we can watch Hulu and Netflix without difficulty. It usually puts the TVs into the next bracket, sadly. My gut tells me, though, if I'm going to spend the money, it is better to buy something for $800 - $1000 that will be useful for the next 5-10 years than buying something that won't be able to handle updated tech for $600 - $800 and be left in the lurch.

I strongly urge you not to buy the Internet-capable TV. I'm a big fan of component entertainment system for the simple reason that, if one part craps out it's a lot cheaper to replace that bit than buy a whole new all-in-one item. My wife bought a combo TV/VCR for the kids several years ago and it was less than six months before the VCR part died, leaving us with a small extra-heavy TV that was now useless except for plug-in video games. We donated it when we moved.

When our DVD player went wonky earlier this year, I bought us a Blu-Ray player as replacement, since that would allow us to rent BR disks from Red Box. The added advantage was that the BR player was also Internet capable. I already had our home network set up, so as soon as I plugged the player in, it wanted to be added and walked me through the steps. We've watched movies on Hulu, Vudu, and Amazon, and the kids have showed us YouTube videos. The player was about $60, and if it goes out it won't mess up our $600 TV.

(I'm sure that in a couple of years all new TVs will be Internet-capable, so my argument will rendered invalid. Such is life.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
sisteray wrote:

I strongly urge you not to buy the Internet-capable TV. I'm a big fan of component entertainment system for the simple reason that, if one part craps out it's a lot cheaper to replace that bit than buy a whole new all-in-one item. My wife bought a combo TV/VCR for the kids several years ago and it was less than six months before the VCR part died, leaving us with a small extra-heavy TV that was now useless except for plug-in video games. We donated it when we moved.

When our DVD player went wonky earlier this year, I bought us a Blu-Ray player as replacement, since that would allow us to rent BR disks from Red Box. The added advantage was that the BR player was also Internet capable. I already had our home network set up, so as soon as I plugged the player in, it wanted to be added and walked me through the steps. We've watched movies on Hulu, Vudu, and Amazon, and the kids have showed us YouTube videos. The player was about $60, and if it goes out it won't mess up our $600 TV.

(I'm sure that in a couple of years all new TVs will be Internet-capable, so my argument will rendered invalid. Such is life.)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Scott, check out this article: http://reviews.cnet.com/8342-6475_7-57525332-242/tv-buying-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50UT50 on sale at Amazon for Cyber Monday. I'll let you know how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
There's already plenty of good advice here, let me add some small other tidbits as well...

How well lit is the TV room? Lots of windows, overhead lights and lamps in the rooms sets you up for lots of screen glare. LCD TVs are the way to go in these cases. A dark room with little to no outside light will do well with a plasma TV (I think these are still made).

When you go shopping, look at the reflection quality of the screen. Do you see the overhead store lights in the screen? If so, this will probably be the same as when you get it home.

The stores tend to crank up the video settings to make them look better in their brightly lit stores. Keep this in mind when evaluating the image.

120Hz refresh rate or higher. 10,000:1 contrast ratio (number of colors) is good enough. The human eye can't make out more colors than that, if even that.

Agree on the comment about smart TVs. Not necessary with all of the other internet devices we already have.

I only have one HDMI input on my TV, but my Onkyo Stereo has 8 inputs that redirects everything it can to the one HDMI output (including non-HDMI signals)

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.