Popular Tags: [View All]
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we have a sufficient number of Investigators and Villains, has anyone played a campaign with ATOE + expansions? I know this is popular to do with Arkham Horror but I prefer ATOE honestly. I was thinking of playing 3 or 4 investigators, all random, again a random Villain. If the investigators win, they continue to the next Villain (unless they were KO'd 3 times - I usually count that as a death) without keeping any items or investigation tokens. If the Villain wins, all investigators are removed from the campaign and a new set of investigators take on that same Villain.

Should investigators be considered dead after 3 KOs in a single game?
Should investigators be able to take Items (limit 1?) with them to the next game? How would the game compensate for this?
Should Villains be able to keep all buffs until defeated? Not sure how that would work.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. I'm going to give it a try solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Campbell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Should investigators be able to take Items (limit 1?) with them to the next game? How would the game compensate for this?
Should Villains be able to keep all buffs until defeated? Not sure how that would work.
Thoughts?

Just thoughts after reading... sounds like a good idea.

After 3 KO's in a single session or for the campaign? What if they cannot pay the d6 roll on their first or second KO... perma-death at that point? Or a scale for the duration of the campaign; d6 at first KO, d6+1 at second, +2 at third and so on. When you can't pay all, hero is dead.

Items: First thought (completely unthought out further... like all this), make it a roll? (Everything else in the game is) Say, d3 items may survive an encounter... or a d6 for each item, it survives the showdown on a 6. Maybe the next villain gets +1 wound per item (not multiplied by number of heroes). There's a little incentive to upgrade a little more, even if a good amount of items survive.

Not sure what you mean by keeping all buffs for villain. you mean those imparted by evil elders? In that case I would think no. There's already good strategy invovled in whether the heroes go after evil elders or commit all dice to the villain. If they decide to kill an evil elder, that bonus should still go. Now juicing up the evil elders a little? devil ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tynee wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:
Thoughts?

Just thoughts after reading... sounds like a good idea.

After 3 KO's in a single session or for the campaign? What if they cannot pay the d6 roll on their first or second KO... perma-death at that point? Or a scale for the duration of the campaign; d6 at first KO, d6+1 at second, +2 at third and so on. When you can't pay all, hero is dead.

Items: First thought (completely unthought out further... like all this), make it a roll? (Everything else in the game is) Say, d3 items may survive an encounter... or a d6 for each item, it survives the showdown on a 6. Maybe the next villain gets +1 wound per item (not multiplied by number of heroes). There's a little incentive to upgrade a little more, even if a good amount of items survive.

Not sure what you mean by keeping all buffs for villain. you mean those imparted by evil elders? In that case I would think no. There's already good strategy invovled in whether the heroes go after evil elders or commit all dice to the villain. If they decide to kill an evil elder, that bonus should still go. Now juicing up the evil elders a little? devil ...

Great thoughts. Let me bounce some back.

I meant 3 KO's in a single game. But, I really like your d6 roll idea. If a Hero cannot pay for the d6 penalty at any time, then they are dead. I also like the increased difficulty per KO (d6+1, d6+2, etc.)

Items is a tough one. Thematically, it makes sense for Heroes to keep all items they had when defeating a Villain but I am afraid for balancing issues. I know that when I play a single game, I rarely come close to carrying limits, especially now that the Coast allows for 3 more items. Perhaps a rule could be: Hero loses number of items equal to wounds after defeating the Villain?

For villain buffs, I was thinking more along the lines of the Shadow Track +2 Wound bonus and +1 Combat bonus. I would say elders would need to reset each game and the Villain would lose all those bonuses. How would you soup up elders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Campbell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:

Items is a tough one. Thematically, it makes sense for Heroes to keep all items they had when defeating a Villain but I am afraid for balancing issues. I know that when I play a single game, I rarely come close to carrying limits, especially now that the Coast allows for 3 more items. Perhaps a rule could be: Hero loses number of items equal to wounds after defeating the Villain?

For villain buffs, I was thinking more along the lines of the Shadow Track +2 Wound bonus and +1 Combat bonus. I would say elders would need to reset each game and the Villain would lose all those bonuses. How would you soup up elders?

Item carryover would probably be the biggest "imbalancer" (yeah, I'll Webster check that later). After first session or two of the campaign, what's to stop heroes from going straight into Showdown(aside from a pile of investigation)... not sure how you might properly and thematically work that out.

And I misunderstood your buffs completely, but as far as beefing the elders it may be a simple as an extra wound... suddenly the hero must consider allocating 2 or 3 dice just to (maybe) remove a pesky elder. But being lackeys, I would assume the evil elder would move on to the next available villain in the campaign. Evil elders would stay evil until dead or end of campaign... possibly even have remaining town elders retain secrets between chapters, but keep Too Many Secrets rule in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the same 'campaign' rules as we do for Arkham Horror: play by standard rules but after each game any dead villains or investigators are permanently removed from the ongoing game. Try to see if you can defeat all the villains before you run out of heroes. No carrying items over or anything like that, it just adds a nice ongoing narrative, and you really wince if you lose someone like Brother Marcus early on. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
We use the same 'campaign' rules as we do for Arkham Horror: play by standard rules but after each game any dead villains or investigators are permanently removed from the ongoing game. Try to see if you can defeat all the villains before you run out of heroes. No carrying items over or anything like that, it just adds a nice ongoing narrative, and you really wince if you lose someone like Brother Marcus early on. zombie

Yeah, that may be what I end up doing. I do want to keep the 3 KOs in a single game = death rule from the ATOE Insanity Difficulty Rating OR if the hero cannot pay their KO d6 result. Other than that though, I'm not quite sure how to work out items and elders in a thematic way. Perhaps a cheesy thematic explanation would be that a new villain did not arrive in town for several months or years so the heroes sold all their stuff and the elders changed their ways. Yep, sounds lame. This may require some testing before a suitable solution presents itself. I am in the middle of a game right now but will attempt to start a campaign after this game is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
We use the same 'campaign' rules as we do for Arkham Horror: play by standard rules but after each game any dead villains or investigators are permanently removed from the ongoing game.

How do you determine if an investigator is "dead", since Investigators don't die in AToE except under the Insanity difficulty rule or when using the Gargoyle villain? Or are you using Insanity difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gpritch3 wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
We use the same 'campaign' rules as we do for Arkham Horror: play by standard rules but after each game any dead villains or investigators are permanently removed from the ongoing game.

How do you determine if an investigator is "dead", since Investigators don't die in AToE except under the Insanity difficulty rule or when using the Gargoyle villain? Or are you using Insanity difficulty?

If the investigators lose a game, they're all considered "dead" and taken out of the available pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
gpritch3 wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

If the investigators lose a game, they're all considered "dead" and taken out of the available pool.

Have you added The Coast into your campaign rotation yet, ninjadorg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.