Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
First (legal) win on first attempt with this tailor-made deck. Didn't count rounds but i had threat 42, 3 dead trolls, 1 card left in encounter deck, troll purse, and missed troll key by 1 card. I could have finished 2 rounds earlier but was waiting for that key... Very proud of this victory!:

Bilbo (0)
Gimli (11)
Nori (9)

Ally (25)
Eagles of the Misty Mountains (RtM) x3
Erebor Battle Master (TLD) x3
Vassal of the Windlord (TDM) x3
Veteran Axehand (Core) x3
Winged Guardian (THfG) x3
Zigil Miner (KD) x3
Bofur (TRG) x2
Radagast (AJtR) x2
Gandalf (Core) x3

Attachment (14)
Citadel Plate (Core) x2
Dwarrowdelf Axe (KD) x3
Support of the Eagles (RtM) x2
Ancient Mathom (AJtR) x3
Unexpected Courage (Core) x1
Song of Battle (TDM) x3

Event (14)
Feint (Core) x2
Heavy Stroke (FoS) x3
Khazad! Khazad! (KD) x3
Quick Strike (Core) x2
A Test of Will (Core) x2
Shadow of the Past (RtM) x2

Just hoping for a Tactics Dwarf Hero from the hobbit to substitute Gimli with to make this more faithful from a Hero perspective. Used Battle Master and Khazad Khazad and heavy stroke to slay first troll. Second was EBM+Khazad and then 4 from Gandalf next round. Last one was 2 EBMs together for 6 and then Gimli+(3dmg),Nori and Bilbo for a rather satisfying deathblow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Cloggie
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just to check: did you attack the first Troll with one character only? It sounds like you ganged up on it but that wouldn't be allowed given the card text on Tom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sorry Clyde, i have since corrected that misprint. All rules were followed, i've played this hundreds of times and made double sure. If you have Khazad Khazad and heavy stroke in hand, you only need two additional dwarf allies in play to kill the first troll in one attack

(1+4+3-2)=6*2=12.

If you have bofur + 2/3 other dwarves (+even better with a threat reductive gandalf.) You can kill the first troll nice and early, and then concentrate on questing whilst you wait for more dwarves/khazad khazad/heavy strokes.

I played twice last night and lost them both. First game i kept getting eagles instead of dwarves, and second go i killed first troll Gimli+Citadel Plate+5dmg++khazad khazad+dwarrowdelf Axe (2+5+3+1)=11+1 additional damage. I even had the troll key but i also had the troll cave in play, and then drew the shadow effect which put the troll camp in too which put the threat in the staging to 13, which was basically unsustainable. You do still need a bit of luck but its as good a chance as you can get playing solo.

Best help with winning is Song of Battle on Bilbo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
modded this deck - made it much better:

Out:

Gimli, Radagasts, Eagles of MM, Winged Guardians, Support of Eagles, Citadel Plates, Bofur (Sp)x1, song of battlex1

In:

Thalin, Stand&Fightx3,Dwarven Axex2, Dwarven Tombx1,song of travel x1, horn of gondorx1 fili x1 kili x1

low cost cards very important. Finally got treasures and killed 2 trolls, could easily have killed all three but game would have ended. Best game i've ever had! favourite quest. Stone giants is really tough!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Try playing with the suggested cards on the back of the rule sheet, let me know if you win. Got a feeling I'm going to need afew more expansions to beat these quests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misha Nosiara
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fili? Isn't he wrong sphere for this deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Misha99 wrote:
Fili? Isn't he wrong sphere for this deck?

You can search your deck for Fili and put him into play when you put Kili into play from your hand. So the sphere doesn't matter as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misha Nosiara
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.