14 Posts

Arcane Legions» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Unit Builder replacement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piete Sartain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I bought into this game with gusto when it arrived. Even now, I find it highly enjoyable if I treat it as a board game with a lot of pieces rather than some collectables game or tournament wargame.

Anyway, I couple of years I thought I'd try my hand at building a better unit builder. I got mostly finished, but never really had the impetus to continue while Wells Expeditions were still going.

Last month I found there was a small desire to get it back, so I've spent some time improving the rough version I'd created, and it's now starting to look respectable.

A usable version is available here: http://unitbuilder-4dzgxkwr.dotcloud.com/
More important (imho), is the source is available here: https://github.com/piete/unitbuilder

Everything is drag and drop, if you want a secondary unit, right click the figure after it's on the base. Tested in Firefox. No warranties, if it breaks you get to keep both halves, etc etc.

Still, if you missed out on it the first time around, please enjoy some unit building the second time around!

All the best,
- Piete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alejandro kano
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gracias!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

:D:D:D:D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bailey
United States
West valley
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THANK YOU!! YOU COMPLETLY ROCK!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Creasman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would so give you Geek gold if I had it. You are the man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haoyong wrote:
I would so give you Geek gold if I had it. You are the man!
I covered it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piete Sartain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you for the compliments and the gold!

I've just done a tiny little update to make everything static, so if you wanted your own unit builder without the internet getting in the way, you can now download the project and run it without a web server. It's just like magic!

I swing by here occasionally to see what's going on, so if you've got any feature requests or bug fixes you want me to look at, I will eventually pick them up.

A public thankyou to github user Avetenebrae, who appears to have signed up to github just to fix an issue with the figures.txt file! If you want to make life easy for me, feel free to follow in Avetenebrae's footsteps. Fork the repo, make your change, and submit a merge request.

I expect the live demo will change address at some point, since dotcloud has moved to a paid-for-only service, but I will post here if that happens.

Cheers,
- Piete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Bosh
Brazil
flag msg tools
How do you print it?
There isn't any button written:"Print"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piete Sartain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Azziel wrote:
How do you print it?
There isn't any button written:"Print"

Use your browser's print feature. This is typically File -> Print. It will only print the unit, not all the rest of the page

Since I've not had any hits for a couple of months, the live demo has been closed down at it's current site. The source will obviously stay up, just download the tarball, extract it and open content/index.html in a browser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piete, I appreciate your efforts. Thank you. I enjoyed the game but it never caught on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Creasman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to post and say "thanks" for this. Getting our 9 and 5 year old boys into the game, and it's spectacular to see that someone kept the unit builder alive somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Piete, thank you so much for making this. I will have a lot of fun making new units. I had seriously thought I would be out of luck in making custom units, but I thought wrong.

I did find one glitch. If you remove a figure that is producing a dice that is put on another figure it will glitch and say that there is negative dice available.

I will post if there are any other issues or glitches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
The only glitches I found so far is the Kyudo Archers (1H24) seem to take away the side close attacks of the Foo Lion (1H21). Also when you goto print the colors disappear on the codex as well as the background color of the unit name.

Any chance we can get the dice and movement symbols to center themselves over the top center of the multi peg figure and not the upper left hand corner?

Some additions I would like to see:
Adding the faction symbol to the unit bar.

The ability to add both the unit name and the unit description as well as text on the vertical boarder.

I would work on these issues myself, but I was never taught CSS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you for your great work. It will help me a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first last
msg tools
Thank You very much.
So I take it that the original thing is gone for good? Didn't there some replacement website used to linger? Nevermind, great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.