Subject: What do I have to get to have everything? And where? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am interested in this game. I've played the online bits, I'd like to see about owning it. However before I jump in. I need to find out what exactly I need to get if I want a 'complete' set. Right now, it looks like there is the 3rd edition box, the shadows box, the upgrade kit(Just to get the three chips not anywhere else?) and the randomizer cards(while extraneous, still good)

Did I miss anything or include something wrongly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you're getting into it right now, get the 3rd edition box.

Shadows has different characters and puzzle chips, and is compatible with everything in the 3rd edition box.

Do NOT get the upgrade; that is only useful if you have 2nd edition.

The cards are up to you. There's a web-based randomizer, but I like the physical product so I picked them up. No regrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
So I am interested in this game. I've played the online bits, I'd like to see about owning it. However before I jump in. I need to find out what exactly I need to get if I want a 'complete' set. Right now, it looks like there is the 3rd edition box, the shadows box, the upgrade kit(Just to get the three chips not anywhere else?) and the randomizer cards(while extraneous, still good)

iirc the 3 chips are available on their website for purchase ejust like the randomiser cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

Yeah just go to Sirlin games and order it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you need:

3rd edition
Shadows
Promo chips (has dashing strike, custom combo and combinatorics)

You could go for the full extra package to also get randomizer cards and strategy guide. Personally, I wouldn't recommend going for the randomiser cards. The picture of the characters are nice but it takes a long time to locate the right 10 stacks even if you ordered them. It is much easier to just randomize the placement in the box and take 10 random stacks.

Good luck, have fun.

And yes, you don't need the upgrade kit. The only thing I suppose you could use from that is the nice mousepad boards, but I like the ones from 3rd edition (and shadows) a lot too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
If you are an obsessive compeleteionist, go to Sirlin Games and order:

1. Puzzle Strike 3rd Edition - this is the base game, with the first ten characters, 24 puzzle chips, purples and gems.

2. Puzzle Strike Shadows - this is the expansion which is playable as a stand alone game, it has the additional ten characters, another 24 puzzle chips, purples and gems.

3. Puzzle Strike Extras Pack - this includes the additional 3 chips from the upgrade pack (one of which got revised for 3rd ed) plus the randomizer cards and the strategy guide. This stuff is nice to have, but it is not essential and it is not a playable game on its own.

and that's everything for at least the next year or three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
only thing I don't have yet is the guide and I can't seem to make up my mind if I want it or not. Any of you guys have it? Worth the $15?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends how far you want to go with PS. If PS is a game you might play multiple times every week with the same people... if PS is a game that you want to spend a LOT of time on, the guide is worth it. If PS is a game you play once a month, the additional information isn't really going to be that needed against new groups of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
I think I am the only PS player out there who doesn't love the guide - and that's mainly because of how much better I understand the game now than I did back when was writing large chunks of the guide.

I should point out that, if you have more free time than free money, you can find draft versions of nearly everything in the guide if you are willing to hunt through the Fantasy Strike dot com Puzzle Strike forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
dysjunct wrote:
If you're getting into it right now, get the 3rd edition box.

Shadows has different characters and puzzle chips, and is compatible with everything in the 3rd edition box.

Do NOT get the upgrade; that is only useful if you have 2nd edition.

The cards are up to you. There's a web-based randomizer, but I like the physical product so I picked them up. No regrets.

I have 2E and I was under the impression there would not be an upgrade from 2nd to 3rd, is there one? I'd like it if there were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
schwarzott wrote:
I have 2E and I was under the impression there would not be an upgrade from 2nd to 3rd, is there one? I'd like it if there were.

There is not, and will not be any official upgrade to go from 2nd to 3rd.

The big changes are the -$1 Combine, and the new multiplayer rules. Everything else is either a wording change for the new multiplayer, a change to better reflect the -$1 Combine, or a minor tweak to bring the character balance even tighter.

The 3rd ed. rules explain the new multiplayer mode and are available as a free .pdf at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd...

You can find a list of all changes to chip text (from 2e+Upgrade Kit to 3e) here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22662763/Changes%20since%202nd%20edi...

Some people have suggested that a decent compromise between shelling out for another edition or printing out errata sheets is to buy the randomizer cards and place the appropriate randomizer card below each puzzle chip stack when you set up the bank for the game. The text on the cards is larger and easier to read, so some of the "mature" gamers I play with prefer to read the cards to check text even though we do use the 3rd edition.

Sadly, that approach does not give you the updated version for the character chips -- but if you're not playing highly competitively then it shouldn't be a big deal to use the prior versions. And if you are playing highly competitively, then you can make an errata sheet or buy the Print and Play version or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.