Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Cost" of wounds and Spidey cards ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remmick Remmick
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
The Spider-Man cards say "if a card costs 2 or less ..." -- does this apply to wounds?

They don't have an assigned cost, but that doesn't mean they cost zero, so you can't buy them (the way you can curses in Dominion).

Does Spider-man's ability affect wounds? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael A

California
msg tools
I play it that If a wound comes up I add it. Can be a useful way to get rid of a wound for the next hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. I could see it possibly going back to the deck because the card doesn't have a cost to begin with, so maybe it doesn't qualify for "having a cost".

Might be a neat one to hear from the designer on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no. If it was zero cost, it would have a zero cost like SHIELD Agents and Troopers. The whole point of wounds (mostly) is to gunk up your deck. But I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we played yesterday I ruled no because it had no cost value at all...but if there's official ruling on the matter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
I'd say no. If it was zero cost, it would have a zero cost like SHIELD Agents and Troopers. The whole point of wounds (mostly) is to gunk up your deck. But I could be wrong.

The mathematician in me wants to agree with this; the empty set is not a number. However, you can discard wounds with other effects that are "supposed" to harm you. For example, Magneto's strike ability is discard down to four cards, not discard down to four heroes, so dumping wounds is legal. One hero allows you to KO a wound in your discard pile in exchange for a card draw. Yes, wounds ARE supposed to gunk up your deck, but there are a small handful of situations where the could be considered neutral or helpful.

Back to OP, Spidey's effect is (I think) supposed to help you, so allowing you to cycle a wound in your deck would help you next turn. Given the examples above, it isn't clear if this is one of those situations where wounds are less detrimental and/or Spidey is meant to help you burn through your "gunk" faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Apfel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my experience with UDE games (mainly VS System and Marvel Ultimate Battles, the two superhero card games they made prior to this one) I played it as Spider-Man can not let you draw Wounds. There was a Superman card in their VS System game that didn't have a cost (even though it still required 4 cost to recruit), and that particular card was not considered to be cost 0 and didn't work for any effects that looked for cards with cost less than X.

I have no means of knowing what they actually intended, of course, but based on precedent this is how I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO:they have no cost indicator (like shield agents) so they cannot be drawn by spidey.
It would be like allowing the Deadpool that buffs with odd numbered costing heroes to buff with heroes that cost 0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi ladies and gents,

Thanks for the question. The cost of a Wound card is considered to be 0. So Wounds can be drawn with Spider-Man's special abilities that say "Reveal the top card of your deck. If that card costs 2[COST] or less, draw it." This should have been more clear in the rules. (0 is an even number, so Wounds don't benefit Deadpool's card that loves cards with odd-numbered costs.)

Web-slingingly yours,

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brock
United States
Easley
South Carolina
flag msg tools
天 Heaven
badge
Master of the Fist (拳を極めし者, Ken o Kiwameshi Mono?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Devin!

We had the same issue come up yesterday.

My group is loving the game. And so is my girlfriend. I cant wait to see more cards. Keep up the good work.

thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nvm, found the answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.