Subject: New Playable Villain (Nemisis) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Hiya Guys,

Firstly let me say that I love this game and the whole super hero team up thing is totally awesome. However, a small handful of my players are not fans of 100% co-op games so I wanted to make a variant which allowed a player to take on the role of the villain, battling against the other players. If this idea sounds interesting to you read on and see what you think of my idea.

Nemesis

Health:
15 x H.

Power: Perform the following steps in order:
1. View the hand of the hero who you currently share nemesis symbols with. Select a card from the heroes hand and return it to the game box.
2. If possible select any non-incapacitated hero who you do not match nemesis symbols with and alter your nemesis symbol to match theirs.

Setup: At the start of the game search the deck for the “Darkness within all” card and put it into play. The Nemesis player then draws 4 cards and sets their Nemesis symbol to match the hero sitting to their right.

Gameplay: If a shadow card is placed into the discard pile during a heroes turn alter Nemesis’s nemesis symbol to match that heroes symbol. Nemesis may then immediately play a reaction card from his/her hand.

Nemesis is played much like a hero (play a card > Activate a power > Draw a card), though its actions are performed during the villain phase.

Advanced: Nemesis begins the game with an additional 5 x H health.

Villain Cards (x54):

Nemesis’s deck is broken into three main groups: Shadow cards, Reaction cards and Miscelanious cards.

Shadow Cards (x14):

Nemesis conjures shadows and nightmares within the minds of its victim, crippling them mentally. Strategically Nemesis becomes substantially more powerful while its shadows are in play, drastically reducing the effectiveness of the hero they share nemesis symbols with. The heroes on the other hand have the ability to at least control the main thrust of Nemesis’s fury by defeating its shadows and becoming the new character to share Nemesis symbols.

1. Darkness Within All (Shadow, Limited, Health = H. x2): Both Nemesis and all other shadow cards are invulnerable whilst this card is in play.

2. Doubt (Shadow, Limited, Health = H. x4): All heroes who share the same nemesis symbol as nemesis cannot activate any powers whilst this card is in play.

3. Fear (Shadow, Limited, Health = H. x4): All heroes who share the same nemesis symbol as nemesis cannot play any cards whilst this card is in play.

4. Sorrow (Shadow, Limited, Health = H. x4): All heroes who share the same nemesis symbol as nemesis cannot draw any cards whilst this card is in play.

Reaction Cards (x16):

These cards enable the Nemesis player to perform actions outside of the normal turn sequence. These cards do not have to be played as reactions, but the nemesis player would be wise to hold some back to use in this fashion (thereby increasing their action output).

1. Cruelty (Reaction, One-shot. x4): All heroes who do not share the same nemesis symbol as nemesis sustains 1 psychic damage.

2. Darkness Rises (Reaction, One-shot. x4): Draw 2 cards.

3. Eternal Darkness (Reaction, One-shot. x4): Heal H health.

4. Vengeance (Reaction, One-shot. x4): All heroes who share the same nemesis symbol as nemesis sustains 2 psychic damage.

Miscellaneous Cards (x24):

These cards round out Nemesis’s deck. These cards provide the player acting as Nemesis with more option and even some additional ways of winning the game. Nemesis has a relatively low damage output and will need to use these cards wisely to defeat the heroes in a straight up fight.

1. An Unwilling Host (Ongoing, Limited. X1): If a hero is incapacitated whilst this card is in play Nemesis wins.

2. Cold of Night (Ongoing, Limited. X2): Power: All heroes who share the same nemesis symbol as nemesis sustain 2 cold damage.

3. Legion of Nightmares (Ongoing, Limited. X1): If there are 4 different shadows in play at the start of the Villain turn, Nemesis wins.

4. Night Terror (One-shot. x2): Deal 2 cold damage to any hero. You may then discard a card to return this card to the top of your deck instead of placing it within your discard pile.

5. Seek Out (One-Shot x4): You may alter your Nemesis symbol to match any hero. Then play 1 card.

6. Shadow Realm (Ongoing, Limited. x2): Shadow cards may be entered into play as if they were reaction cards.

7. Shadow Strike (One-shot. x2): Deal 2 energy damage to any hero. You may then discard a card to return this card to the top of your deck instead of placing it within your discard pile.

8. The Waking Nightmare (One-shot. x4): Search your discard pile for any shadow card and put it into play.

9. Voice of Despair (Ongoing, Limited. x2): Power: All heroes who share the same nemesis symbol as nemesis must discard an Ongoing or Equipment card of their choice.

10. Warp Reality (Ongoing, Limited. x2): Power: You may either discard an enviroment card OR draw an additional enviroment card.

11. Whisper of the Dark (Ongoing, Limited. x2): Instead of paying a card you may activate a power as a reaction.

Right, that’s it for now so see what you guys think. This is a very beta idea at the moment so if you guys have any thoughts let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this, and I think you have some good ideas here.

For "Darkness within all", should that be "all other shadow cards are immune to damage"?
For Dimensional Rift and Legion of Nightmares, I think 10 tokens is too high for these cards to be much threat.
You should probably put in some way to destroy ongoing/equipment/environment cards, plus ways to damage all hero targets to deal with Unity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like idea that the villain shifts their focus by determining who their nemesis is, that's quite cool.
Legion of Nightmares seems very difficult to pull off. Are there multiple copies of the different Shadows? If not, you'd need to cycle your deck a lot to get to 10 tokens.
I also personally dislike effects that require adding tokens to the game. Perhaps it could be simplified to "if you have all 4 Shadows in play at the start of the Villain turn, Nemesis wins"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
dypaca wrote:
I really like this, and I think you have some good ideas here.

Thank you! Its very much a WIP.

dypaca wrote:
For "Darkness within all", should that be "all other shadow cards are immune to damage"?

Yes you are correct! Changed!

dypaca wrote:
For Dimensional Rift and Legion of Nightmares, I think 10 tokens is too high for these cards to be much threat.

Agreed, I will re-think these cards.

dypaca wrote:
You should probably put in some way to destroy ongoing/equipment/environment cards, plus ways to damage all hero targets to deal with Unity.

Good thinking, I'll try thinking up a few extra cards.

Jlerpy wrote:
I really like idea that the villain shifts their focus by determining who their nemesis is, that's quite cool.

Yer, a big part of this idea is to make the villain's job difficult as well. They need to have choices and decisions to make as well as problems to overcome in order to keep the game interesting for them.

Jlerpy wrote:
Legion of Nightmares seems very difficult to pull off. Are there multiple copies of the different Shadows? If not, you'd need to cycle your deck a lot to get to 10 tokens.

There are multiple versions of most cards ("x4" means 4 copies also there are way to returned discarded shadows into play.

Jlerpy wrote:
I also personally dislike effects that require adding tokens to the game. Perhaps it could be simplified to "if you have all 4 Shadows in play at the start of the Villain turn, Nemesis wins"?

I agree tokens seem a bit over kill. I like your idea, though i will probably change it to say "If there are 4 different shadows in play at the start of the Villain turn, Nemesis wins."

This will work rather well i think!

Thanks for all your help guys, great ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this idea! My only question is (since you are kind of listing the number of cards next to them), is the health of the shadow cards based on the number of heroes or are you adding the multiples as well (ex: Hx2, hx4, etc)?

Are you planning on putting up a file so that we can try these out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
eggroll20xd6 wrote:
I really like this idea! My only question is (since you are kind of listing the number of cards next to them), is the health of the shadow cards based on the number of heroes or are you adding the multiples as well (ex: Hx2, hx4, etc)?

Are you planning on putting up a file so that we can try these out?

Sorry about the confusion. H simply means the number of heroes. x4 is just to let you know how many cards of this type their are in the deck. I hope that makes things a bit clearer

I'm starting to think that giving the shadows H health may be a little to low and will probably change them so they all have 4 or 5 health as standard.

As for making a file... Yes, one is in the works as we speak though getting all the artwork down will take me a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I will look forward to trying this out when you upload it. Just an fyi, it sounds like this might also be the direction >games is going with their next expansion if you haven't heard about it on the kickstarter that is currently going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eggroll20xd6 wrote:
Sweet! I will look forward to trying this out when you upload it. Just an fyi, it sounds like this might also be the direction >games is going with their next expansion if you haven't heard about it on the kickstarter that is currently going.

Actually it sounds like Vengence will still be fully cooperative with auto-played villains. I believe the difference is that you will fight a team of villains instead of just one. (Also that is technically the expansion after next, as the main focus of this kickstarter is one more expansion like the last two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
dypaca wrote:
Actually it sounds like Vengence will still be fully cooperative with auto-played villains. I believe the difference is that you will fight a team of villains instead of just one. (Also that is technically the expansion after next, as the main focus of this kickstarter is one more expansion like the last two).

This is kind of what I thought they were doing as well and as they seem to be slowing their output of sentinels expansions somewhat I figured that it may be some time (if ever) before they try an official playable villain.

If this idea will actually work is another matter entirely however!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on how this is coming along?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
eggroll20xd6 wrote:
Any update on how this is coming along?

Sorry for the slow progress. I still need to find time to get the card art done. I have played though it once with my group though, using the cardboard cards containing the rules text and it works rather well. The heroes won but Nemesis pushed them close!

The game does however run for longer as a result. So that's a factor you will have to weigh up.

Also the issue of table talk needs to be agreed among the players. By this I mean do players have to discus tactical matters so the villain can hear? (The way we played) or are they aloud to whisper their ideas to one another in secret? Whatever you decide I think its important to be consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a template already done and you are just waiting on the art or have you not set up a template yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
eggroll20xd6 wrote:
Do you have a template already done and you are just waiting on the art or have you not set up a template yet?

Hiya guys, I'm so sorry about the massive wait in making files for you all. I've been totally swamped with work and have simply have had no time.

I do have un-imaged templates of the cards themselves at home however (I'm at work at the moment) so I shall post those up asap. I've only managed to play test it once and it seemed pretty good fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of you uploading this for us to try out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.