Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have lived with my current roommate for a year and a few months, and she has never shown much interest in games (despite my having people over to play them with some frequency) and suddenly out of the blue in the past few weeks she has been ALL OVER boardgaming. If I had two things to thank for this it would be her watching episodes of Tabletop on YouTube with me, and also watching me play Sentinels of the Multiverse because she's a big comics fan.

Her and my tastes do diverge a little though, so I thought I would list some of the things she likes and see if you guys have recommendations. I would like to nurture this interest, I figure it can only lead to a better quality of life for both of us.

First, I think one of the keys is that she is really NOT competitive when it comes to games and prefers games with a cooperative element when possible. And really hates games where you have to lie - e.g., anything like Mafia or Resistance.

Games she's played and seemed to really like:
- Sentinels of the Multiverse
- Castle Panic
- Carnival
- Citadels
- Small World
- Dixit

She also liked but seemed less enthusiastic about Dominion, VivaJava, Settlers of Catan, and Dominion.

Storytelling seems to be something she likes, and she can also be swayed by licensed games. We've been playing Doctor Who: The Card Game. If there was a Supernatural game she'd be all over it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic has to be one of the top cooperative games out there. Arkham Horror is also a very good cooperative game, although its a long one its very fun. Also if she likes Small World you could try Small World Underground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island for CoOp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Hanabi. No real story, but as a cooperative game it's flat out amazing.

The gist is that you're developing fireworks... but it really plays out as a set making game where the only cards you can see are those of your teammates. Success hinges on good communication and timely hints. Fantastic stuff, very engaging, challenging, and fun. Highly recommend it.

I'll also highly recommend you look into Escape: The Curse of the Temple -- it's very much Indiana Jones packed into 10 frantic minutes where you race against the clock to collect treasure in a collapsing temple. Hugely entertaining and fun.

Similar to Curse is Space Alert, so if her tastes are more into sci-fi, check it out. I didn't find it as fun, but others rave about it.

Outside of that, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Flash Point: Fire Rescue are obvious recommendations you can't really go wrong with.

Finally, look into Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. Haven't played it personally, but the hype is good and I've heard good feedback from friends who've played it. It's a Marvel Universe deck-building game... perfect for your friend.

Anyway, good luck spreading the gamer joy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Legendary

Marvel license and co-op. I haven't played it but it's on my radar. It looks fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She's a comics fan? How has no one recommended Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If she has other interests besides comics, you might try to tap into those. Lord of the Rings, Elder Sign, Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game, Star Trek: Expeditions, and Gears of War: The Board Game are just a few examples of games with various themes. NOTE: I haven't played all those, so don't take them as recommendations--merely mentions.

You might take a look at my geeklist to see if anything appeals: PeakHope's comprehensive list of purely cooperative games.

Oh, and involving her in the selection process is a good idea, if she is willing. If she helps choose a game, she'll have more emotional investment in it being a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics would be worth considering if she enjoys the story telling aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary JUST came out, yes? I would indeed like to try that one if I can get my hands on it. Sounds right up our alley.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I do have Pandemic on my list already, as it's one I've never played but have heard really good things about. I'm going to see what she thinks as well, but having a list of things to look into first is definitely helpful.

Just, you know, more excuses to buy games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island and Pandemic are both cooperative games that have a strong narrative feel IMO. They don't necessarily follow a story, but the framework is there to "fill in the gaps" so to speak. In other words, they aren't themeless cube pushers. I believe both these games are available at Target, which may or may not be a benefit to you.

Mice and Mystics and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) are both cooperative with a built in narrative. Mice and Mystics is more approachable if your roommate is a little leery of Dungeons & Dragons.

I'd also throw in a recommendation for Stone Age. It's one of my go to games for introducing games to interested people (as opposed to a game I would use to convince people to try games.) It's not cooperative, but it's not cutthroat either. It's another game that has a narrative feel to it, though to a lesser extent than Pandemic or Forbidden Island.

My other "go-to" game is Ra. Just solid games for introducing common board game mechanics to people who aren't ready to be deluged with rules.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coop
United States
flag msg tools
I have not played it, but a well-reviewed co-op game on my radar is Ghost Stories. Seems like might be a nice fit for your roommate from what I've read of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights is the quintessential storytelling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken

Pdx
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions have already been given. Just to add something that hasn't been mentioned so far, my wife really likes Castle Ravenloft. We played D&D ages ago and are both fantasy fans so it was kind of a natural fit. As an added plus, it can be played solo if your room mate doesn't love it but you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
thatmadgirl wrote:
If there was a Supernatural game she'd be all over it.

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game meeple I've never played it but it looks like fun.
Elder Sign is co-op fighting against the Cthlhu Mythos. Much shorter and easier to pick up than Arkham Horror.

Also:
Kingdom Builder
Takenoko
Zombie Dice
Tsuro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:

You might take a look at my geeklist to see if anything appeals: PeakHope's comprehensive list of purely cooperative games.

Oh, and involving her in the selection process is a good idea, if she is willing. If she helps choose a game, she'll have more emotional investment in it being a success.

thumbsup This is a great geeklist, and it should give you a lot of ideas and info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Venton wrote:
thatmadgirl wrote:

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game meeple I've never played it but it looks like fun.
Elder Sign is co-op fighting against the Cthlhu Mythos. Much shorter and easier to pick up than Arkham Horror.

Also:
Kingdom Builder
Takenoko
Zombie Dice
Tsuro

I was going to suggest the first two. Both co-op and both good fun.

The other one I love is Witch of Salem.

Then Pandemic definitely.

(oh and avoid Kingdom builder)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely check out:

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Arkham Horror
Ghost Stories
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet since it's on its way to us now, but the soon-to-be-released Agents of SMERSH is a story telling spy game that would probably be a winner.

I know I'm looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor is the upcoming co-op highest on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If she's into co-op and story telling, then my first recommendation would be Dungeons and Dragons Castle Ravenloft

Another cute story telling game would be Once Upon A Time
and while I haven't played the expansion Dark Tales
is out there as well.

Another good co-op is Defenders of the Realm

---
edits trying to find and fix my html mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Venton wrote:
thatmadgirl wrote:

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game :meeple: I've never played it but it looks like fun.

Also:
Kingdom Builder
Takenoko
Zombie Dice
Tsuro

Touch of Evil is a great co-op game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Touch of Evil - I own it and the Something Wicked expansion. The cooperative rules are a lot of fun, but with the base game only, it may be a little too easy. You can crank up the challenge with house rules though, and Something Wicked adds difficulty as well as more heroes and villains.

-1 for Ghost Stories. I love the theme and the cooperative aspect, but it's TOO HARD. I have a gaming buddy who was so turned off by the difficulty he won't play it anymore. I didn't mind the difficulty but I traded it off since it wouldn't get played much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Defenders of the Realm are really fun.

You may want to check out other games that do not have direct confrontation, a game where you are planning your own strategy separately like Ticket to Ride and Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small that is scored at the end of the game. There is a clearer winner but you don't feel you have battled them throughout the game. You are judging who had the better plan at the end of the game.

Legendary looks cool. I've been wanting to check it out myself. There is also a Marvel Heroes game that can be cooperative and competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WizardHowl wrote:

-1 for Ghost Stories. I love the theme and the cooperative aspect, but it's TOO HARD. I have a gaming buddy who was so turned off by the difficulty he won't play it anymore. I didn't mind the difficulty but I traded it off since it wouldn't get played much.

I used to think it was too hard too, though that didn't dissuade me from keeping at it. Now my group can beat it more than half the time in Normal mode and occasionally in Nightmare.

It's still fun when you lose though, I think. As is Space Alert; there's another game I can recommend to get back on topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful game, and tense co-op game play =

Lord of the Rings - the board game. (get the revised Fantasy Flight Edition)

Great game!!! It is not expensive as well. Up to 5 players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.