7 Posts

Space Empires: 4X» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of Raider questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gwal Gwal
msg tools
mbmb
We had a couple of questions from our game today.

First, what is the interaction of NPA fleet, Player 1 Raiders and Player 2 Fleet all in the same hex. Say 4 NPA ships are at a Barren world in the same hex with two Raiders cloaked from Player 1, then Player two moves in with 3 BCs and a DD with Scanners high enough to see the raiders. We played it as a fight between the players and then the remainder would fight the NPA ships. But I've never run into this before.

Two - can you only annouce Raider 1 in combat in order to disquise the fact that you have Raider 2? We played no you had to fight at the actual value even though it revealed what you are due to the combat roll difference.

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris V.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwal wrote:
First, what is the interaction of NPA fleet, Player 1 Raiders and Player 2 Fleet all in the same hex. Say 4 NPA ships are at a Barren world in the same hex with two Raiders cloaked from Player 1, then Player two moves in with 3 BCs and a DD with Scanners high enough to see the raiders. We played it as a fight between the players and then the remainder would fight the NPA ships. But I've never run into this before.

I've never seen this either, but you played it the way I probably would have.

Quote:
Two - can you only annouce Raider 1 in combat in order to disquise the fact that you have Raider 2? We played no you had to fight at the actual value even though it revealed what you are due to the combat roll difference.

Correct, you only have to reveal at first that you have cloaking, and can keep cloaking 2 under wraps until scanners are present. See the example for rule 12.2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwal wrote:
We had a couple of questions from our game today.

For the purpose of raider detection you only have to state that you have cloaking 2 if you opponent has scanner 1.
In combat you have to fight with the technology that the ship is equipped at as far as I know. I can't find a specific quote from the rules, but comments I saw in this forum mentioned not equipping your ships with the best available tech when building to hide what you have. I believe the specific example was building scouts without attack/defense (even though they are available) when they will go on suicide runs to find out enemy fleet composition.
Jim confirmed that this was a valid strategy. By no means do I want to put words in his mouth, but I believe he would have mentioned if you could simply chose not to use equipped tech levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko is right. If you have attack tech on your ships in combat, you have to reveal that. If it helps, think of them scanning your ships and realizing it or that the weapons you are firing are just more effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Niko is right. If you have attack tech on your ships in combat, you have to reveal that. If it helps, think of them scanning your ships and realizing it or that the weapons you are firing are just more effective.

Whoa, we've been playing that you can choose to use that attack or defense tech in combat should you choose to. What's to say that you have AS+1 on your DDs but the crew decides not to man those extra guns (and thus they don't fire)? I don't see a problem thematically with that.

If I'm wrong (and it sounds that way) is it valid that if a ship does not fire in combat that you don't have to reveal it's Attack tech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't sweat it. I have always played that combat techs are revealed in combat. However, as I say often, feel free to house rule it. It certainly won't break the game to play it the way you are playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Don't sweat it. I have always played that combat techs are revealed in combat. However, as I say often, feel free to house rule it. It certainly won't break the game to play it the way you are playing.

Thanks Jim, that's what's great about this game - tweak it here or there as you like and it generally still works well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.