Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tiger tiger
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
What's a good book or 2-3 volume series on Nappy Wars? Nothing super detailed, but more than an "Osprey" synopsis. There seems to be Biographies on Napoleon that have a lot on the campaigns, but would only be interested if they have really have serious detail on the campaigns themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably too much of a tome for what you are looking for but, The Campaigns of Napoleon has "serious detail" , is definitely much more than a "synopsis", but is also an enjoyable read. Its quite in depth, describing in great detail every engagement/battle/campaign Napoleon led from the small (commanding a handful of cannons as a young man) to the great (invasion of Russia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parkin
United Kingdom
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything by David Chandler is recommended - usually not lightweight volumes but reliable and very readable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWhit wrote:
Probably too much of a tome for what you are looking for but, The Campaigns of Napoleon has "serious detail" , is definitely much more than a "synopsis", but is also an enjoyable read. Its quite in depth, describing in great detail every engagement/battle/campaign Napoleon led from the small (commanding a handful of cannons as a young man) to the great (invasion of Russia).

I agree. This is THE one. I am reading it at the moment, and it`s very good. I do recommend getting a good atlas while your reading this though. The maps in it are quite good but as always not good enough IMHO. I often find the maps to be the weak point in many military history books.

This really is THE one.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
'Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars' by Esposito and Elting is the perfect companion to Chandlers book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWhit wrote:

I second this recommendation. One warning I would add is that the book contains very little about the Peninsular War, as Napoleon was in Spain only briefly and the book is entitled The Campaigns of Napoleon, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
The Chandler book is often cited as "the best," but is 1,100 pages long and out-of-print.

Swords Around A Throne by John Elting (1997) is an 800-page tome all about "the Grande Armée."

Or if you want toes in the water, there's always The Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon by Gunther Rothenberg (1981) which is a thumbnail sketch overview of the entire period, as well as the daily life of the soldier.

There's also Tactics and the Experience of Battle in the Age of Napoleon by Rory Muir (2000) which I haven't read, but always shows up on my Amazon list of things I should be buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Tessier
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Swords Around A Throne. Excellent "color" concerning Napoleon's military machine but obviously one sided.

Jean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend Chandler - although long, it's incredibly readable, and not overly dry or stat-heavy.

The main drawback, as others have noted, is that it's long out-of-print. Unless you can get a copy at your local library, the cheapest option is the $65 Kindle version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A rather considerable part of the Napoleonic Wars, that somehow is constantly overlooked in the books, is the same level of detail that they give to Napoleons forces, given to the Coalition forces.

In the context of this thread, can anyone recommend the same as the OP seeks, but that also does a decent job to the nations, concerning forces, doctrine and politics, as is always given to Nappy?

Thanks for any help.
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.