Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still seem to have a difficult time finding local opponents for X-Wing, so in a spare moment I decided to try testing a sceanrio I want to run as an event at my local game store. Using the Capital ship rules, The scenario was to depict an assault on a space platform.

I already tested the platform itself against a full flight group of Y-Wings (4 ships). The platform didn't stand much of a chance, since the Y-Wings used a full torpedo volley to blow it up before it could return fire. I figured defending TIEs might balance the odds.

The scenario was pretty simple. There are three targets the rebel player can attack for points: two escaping TRNs (represented by senator shuttle pieces), and the Platform itself. The platform when destroyed is worth 100 points, each transport is worth 50. The rebel player is awarded these points by destroying these objects, the imperial player gets them if they make it off board or survive when the last rebel starfighter is destroyed.

The Rebels were flying a full flight group (4) of Red Squadron X-Wings, each with a Proton Torpedo and an R2 astromech. The Rebels also had a second flight group of Y-Wings (4), with Gold squadron pilots, each armed with two torpedoes and an Ion cannon.

For defense the Imperials were running two flight groups of Black squadron pilots.

To set up the scenario the Platform is placed at the center, and two transports must be placed on two of the three platforms. Then both TIE squadrons are deployed in formation within 1 distance of the platform's edges.

The Rebel player then sets up, either on the same map edge or two different ones.

Lastly the Imperial player declares an edge the transports are to escape on.

I also set aside a squadron of Tempest TIE Advanced with concussion missiles, figuring that the Imperial player could take a point deduction to summon them into battle. Ultimately they were never summoned.

------------

The Imperial player set up his squadrons facing in two different directions, ready to respond to the rebels when they ultimately arrived. T/F Alpha was facing up, T/F Beta was facing down. Ultimately the Rebel player decided to try splitting his forces, trying to draw away one group with the X-Wings while making a rush on the platform with the Y-Wings.

T/F Alpha managed to engage Red squadron and here the first criticals were dealt. X-W Red held most of their torpedoes until one of the Transports was geting into range, some Torpedoes were dropped on the TRN and it went down to laser fire after X-W Red split their squadron. T/F Alpha also split their fighter group, ultimately loosing two of their number.

Y-W Gold took it slow, setting up their attack run while T/F Beta turned and made a beeline for the Y-Wings. Y-W Gold split some of their attacks between one of the TRNs and launched a strike against the platform. SL-7 managed to knock down one of the torpedoes, but the rest impacted the station and an X-W torpedo finished off the shields. The Y-Ws had to face T/F Beta coming around and pinning them between the platform's main weapons. Y-W Gold fell, but not before knocking out one of SL-7's main turrets and the precious concussion missile launcher.

Near the end of the scenario X-W Red ran a strafing run against the center of the platform- blowing away the last of the three turrets. All that was left on the platform were three outlying turrets. TRN-1 had already escaped, netting the Imperials 50 points. The Platform would make or break the scenario.

X-W Red three was taken down by TIE fighter fire, and the last two X-Ws tried to go after the three outlying laser turrets on the platfrom. X-W one fired- missed, and was blown up by TIEs. The next managed to take out one of the last turrets, and was making an immelman turn to try going for the last one when it missed the second turret and was blown up by TIEs.

Even though the results were lobsided at the end (6 TIEs survived), the scenario would have gone to the Rebels if they had managed to destroy the platform, which they very nearly did. I consider the scenario balanced and possibly enjoyable for multiple groups if I can find enough players. I will be removing the TIE Adv reinforcements from the scenario setup since calling on them would have made things worse for the Rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a really fun scenario... I would like to try it with my group here in NC. BTW, where are you that you are unable to find opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bay Area in California, specifically the Game Kastle in Fremont.

I figure either my event or the Kessel Run would bring them out of the woodwork. However, without getting an intuitive knowledge of tactics, I feel like I'm at a disadvantage compared to folks who play regularly with their friends

The template I used for the Platform is a very placeholder one... when I had something more ornate I was going to post it in the Capital Ship rules forum with subsystem cards and some direction on how to operate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
The Bay Area in California, specifically the Game Kastle in Fremont.

Do you ever get to any of the Los Angeles game conventions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I don't leave the bay much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.