Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just opened another punched quad game I traded for. No labels on bags! No counter frame to try to match colors to.

Do you label your bags or rely on memory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never bothered to label the baggies, when its your game to begin with and you were the one to bag them in the first place, it really isn't hard to recognize which bag is which. I've never had problems even with monster games with thousands of counters and dozens of bags. Never thought of doing it for other people's benefit since I've never sold any of my games before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
I've never bothered to label the baggies, when its your game to begin with and you were the one to bag them in the first place, it really isn't hard to recognize which bag is which. I've never had problems even with monster games with thousands of counters and dozens of bags. Never thought of doing it for other people's benefit since I've never sold any of my games before.

You got better memory than me. Maybe its just the added complication of having four different games in one box that makes me label all my quads. One big bag for each game then two smaller bags for the different sides. Each labeled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I can't remember any specific incidence, but if I had a Quad game with all 4 games in the Quad having the same colors and similar counters, I would definitely sort it out like you've and label it.

.... Yes, I do remember using little labels for the large SPI flatpack Quads directly on the trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try transparent bags?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
One enterprising former owner of one of the many quad games I now own had the forethought of cutting out the name of each folio from the countersheet frame, then taped those at the top of each column of countertray wells.

Being a collector of older games, I've developed the ability of quickly confirming countermixes of punched games. Checked in an entire copy of DAK2 in just 1 evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd love to know what that is as I have stopped buying punched games due to the aggravation of sorting them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I combine anywhere from three to six games in one box, labeling bags has become a major preventer of time wastage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Trading etiquette. Please detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to wargames I almost always use counter trays. I have seen labeling used on each well and that isn't a bad idea, though if it is my game and I sorted them I usually don't need a reminder such as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Wilkershank
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use clear sandwich bags without labeling. I've not had any issues getting them confused until last night shake

I was punching three different World at War Series boxes and accidentally put the bags for two expansions in one box. Luckily there weren't a lot of counters so I was able to get it sorted, but now I know I need to be more careful when dealing with this game. Putting something in the bag to let me know which expansion it is with sounds like a good idea now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
Taxsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bags are transparent. I can tell who's who by color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I trade for a game, I would not expect the bags to be labeled. Though I would expect there to be some sort of rational bagging system, not just a bazillion Germans in this bag and a bazillion French in that bag.

I've actually LABELED bags for two games, The Great War in Europe: Deluxe Edition and Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944. Mostly because we had a new label maker and I was trying it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first I've ever heard of labeling bags. If a game is huge enough so I would have trouble finding the proper bag of counters then I'm probably using Plano boxes anyway. I will usually put a note in a bag containing special variant counters from a magazine or counters that have been replaced by corrected counters (Somehow I just cant bear to throw them away which is odd) so I know not to open the bag and get them mixed up with the rest of the countermix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Åberg
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I store most of my wargame-counters in countertrays which makes it easier then bags in my opinion to sort out. For the games I use bags I usually label them it's very disappointing knowing that you before starting the game had a nice system and every bag had something in it but when it's over you are sitting with 2 empty bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
soulreaper wrote:
it's very disappointing knowing that you before starting the game had a nice system and every bag had something in it but when it's over you are sitting with 2 empty bags.

Ha! So I'm not the only one who's done that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never label bags, but then, I never plan to release a game once it comes into my possession, so I needn't concern myself with what another owner may think about my storage methods!

When I do get a game from eBay (such as several recent acquisitions like Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 and 3rd Fleet), I ritualistically remove the counters from whatever storage they were in (in these two cases, counter trays that were not properly shut, resulting in hundreds of counters loosely flung about within the game boxes), sort and inventory them, and then re-store them using my own system - unlabeled clear zip-lock snack or sandwich bags.

This approach is tedious and time-consuming to be sure, but it's also strangely soothing, in a way similar to clipping counters and stickering blocks. Hypnotic, almost...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Labeling is a gift you make to your heirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but this is why there is such a price difference between used unpunched games and punched ones.

With punched games, it is a rare ad that says something to the effect of, "I verified that all the counters are accounted for and I...."

Whenever I have sold a punched game, I've always received top dollar, and I believe it is because I went through the effort of and assured potential buyers that everything has been accounted for and organized.

If I don't see a similar assurance in the ad, I just go right by the ad, no matter the game. It's just too likely to be incomplete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I don't use trays, I do label bags.

I even use small bags (like tray slots) to separate out units. I label those too.

Then I put each faction into a big bag (if possible) that holds all of its sub-bagged units. I hand that bag to the player using them.

It's all to save time in set up. If you can read my chicken scratch that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
This approach is tedious and time-consuming to be sure, but it's also strangely soothing, in a way similar to clipping counters and stickering blocks. Hypnotic, almost...

Yea absolutely, like doing a big jigsaw puzzle. I almost get as much enjoyment out of lovingly sorting the counters as I do playing the game. That and creative ways to re-arrange game boxes on limited shelf space to make room for one more new arrival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have one quad game (The Crusades), but I've definitely labeled the bags for each quad. Given that the counters are only separated by color for the two sides (Crusaders and Muslims), it would be a massive headache to have to sort out the specific counters for each scenario every time I wanted to play one. So any instance of multi-scenario games, where the involved sides aren't distinctively colored from units from other scenarios, I would label the bags.

For larger games, though, I use counter trays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Just opened another punched quad game I traded for. No labels on bags! No counter frame to try to match colors to.

Do you label your bags or rely on memory?

Memory unless/until it's a series of games that I've consolidated into 1 or 2 boxes. Then it's a must because I might have 6 related games in 1 4" box. If the games are linked in some fashion, like the World at War games, I usually end up bagging by command (if the game is designed in such a way) or nationality>unit type. Once I hit a few hundred games with many, many related titles, all those colorful but woefully insufficient boxes are more a hinderance than anything.

And I should say, there are games I'd much prefer to buy punched/sorted than to do so myself. I was MOST happy to score a punched copy of Fire in the East/Scorched Earth/Urals from a gamer that broke down all the units by month of entry and sorted in/out errata counters. Same with a copy of Streets of Stalingrad 3rd ed.

Then again, I also MUCH prefer to trade for already stickered block games. A pre-stickered C&C:Ancients set is worth double a new-in-shrink copy to me as I truly *hate* having to sticker blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I've started using a marker on the bags for complex games or ones with a lot of setup.
I like to also include a copy of the countersheets printed when I sell a game. It allows the buyer to come back to me for a lost bit (should such a thing happen!)
Or they can easily replicate replacement.
I've stopped using trays. Too bulky and too time consuming.
I do use them whilst I play a game and then bag up. -
OCS being one exception, there I tray all the games that are large, and psuedo label the counters in the trays similar to some of the serious OCD players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those old SPI Quad games, you really need to label your frikkin bags. The counters look the same regardless of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.