Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing surprises me about this game; the fact that you use all the plague cubes (x6) whether you are playing 2P, 3P or 4P.

So far I've only played 2P and it just feels like our family members are constantly sick. We've been drawing 4-5 plague cubes per round so getting 2-3 each. This seems to eat up a lot of our time.

I was surprised that you don't use less plague cubes in 2P than 4P. Though not having played 4P yet I don't know if the time pressure feels the same....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of them as "sick". Think of them as getting old. Maybe ageing gracefully?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To die effectively is a very powerful strategie in this game. To feel "sick" all the time or better: getting old faster gives it the right pace for a 2P!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've certainly already seen that dying fast is a useful strategy! I think the point was more the difference between 2P and 4P, where you get say 1 plague cube per round with 4P instead of 2 per round with 2P (typically).

Unless with more plays the plague cubes will become more attractive to actually choose to take? At the moment they're getting left till last. If experience shows that you want to take them, then it means they're more easily available in 2P than 4P.

It was just something I was curious about as so often pieces are limited in 2P games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sarah_elton wrote:
We've certainly already seen that dying fast is a useful strategy! I think the point was more the difference between 2P and 4P, where you get say 1 plague cube per round with 4P instead of 2 per round with 2P (typically).

Unless with more plays the plague cubes will become more attractive to actually choose to take? At the moment they're getting left till last. If experience shows that you want to take them, then it means they're more easily available in 2P than 4P.

It was just something I was curious about as so often pieces are limited in 2P games.

You will want to take the plague cubes - though sometimes they accumulate until the end of the round.

Pacing of the cubes is always a bit random regardless of player count. You draw less than you put in so typically you have some reserves in the bag - which could be black cubes. It is an interesting dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a valid point here in that, in a two player game, each player is going to average three black cubes while in a four player game you're going to average 1.5 (assuming all six are always pulled from the bag). So, yes, people are going to die faster. However, I think there are also fewer spots per person in the chronicle in a four player game and you also have an extra wedding action in a 2P game, so overall I think it is balanced. I've played a lot of both 2P and 4P games and not noticed any disparity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, as in so many discussions, I really really cannot understand, why you try to compare a game played with 2 players with a game played with 4 players?

I fully expect in every game I play, that the gaming experience differs depending on the number of players. This is even logical, because there are more players -> opponents in play!

But the greatest difference is between 2-player-games and >2-player-games:

For example in Village: I play this with only one opponent, then every move AGAINST the other player (e.g. taking the last action cube he/she needs) is a move FOR me. Even if it is not the best move for me directly, it can be if I hinder my opponent.

But if I play a game with more than 1 opponent, then in this situation player #3 would be the player who has the most profit:
- I hinder player #2
- I'm not doing my optimal move (as player #1)

So this is basically the best for all other players. Why on earth do you think this could be comparable???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
Again, as in so many discussions, I really really cannot understand, why you try to compare a game played with 2 players with a game played with 4 players?

I fully expect in every game I play, that the gaming experience differs depending on the number of players. This is even logical, because there are more players -> opponents in play!

But the greatest difference is between 2-player-games and >2-player-games:

For example in Village: I play this with only one opponent, then every move AGAINST the other player (e.g. taking the last action cube he/she needs) is a move FOR me. Even if it is not the best move for me directly, it can be if I hinder my opponent.

But if I play a game with more than 1 opponent, then in this situation player #3 would be the player who has the most profit:
- I hinder player #2
- I'm not doing my optimal move (as player #1)

So this is basically the best for all other players. Why on earth do you think this could be comparable???

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:
I was surprised that you don't use less plague cubes in 2P than 4P. Though not having played 4P yet I don't know if the time pressure feels the same....?

Take a look at the 4-Player setup.
You also don't use the double amount of other cubes. And you don't have the doubled number of graves.
The game is obviously a different game with 4 players than with 2.

Having played it with 2 and 4 players - I think it works well in both cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.