Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Colonizing during the turns you've passed or during reactions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrique Takahashi
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like some clarification about this, the game manual says that you're allowed to colonize at any point during your turn, but not sure if reactions are considered or the turns you've passed
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RawrArf wrote:
I'd like some clarification about this, the game manual says that you're allowed to colonize at any point during your turn, but not sure if reactions are considered or the turns you've passed

Not sure either, but my guess would be that you are allowed to colonize even in reaction turns, even if all you do is pass (again)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaction is also your turn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie riegle
United States
norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Rules for colonizing are very liberal. Colonize any time when it's your turn to do ANYTHING: actions, reactions, passing, upkeep, after combat.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally usually don't colonize until upkeep. Since you don't get production until then, putting your cubes out early doesn't really gain you anything. The main exception is if you take influence... generally you want to put two out at that time because effectively you don't need to use the colony ships at that time (flip 2 face up during inf action.)

Yes, there are probably some other times when colonizing prior to upkeep would make a difference... but they are rare.

BOb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Easiest way to justify it:

You have passed.
It gets around to you to declare a reaction or "pass again" as it were.

Before you react or pass, you colonise.


I do like that advice regarding not colonizing until the upkeep phase unless you have used influence. Makes a lot of sense, especially if one of your systems gets invaded during the turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:

I do like that advice regarding not colonizing until the upkeep phase unless you have used influence. Makes a lot of sense, especially if one of your systems gets invaded during the turn.


Actually, that might be one time you want to do it BEFORE upkeep. Because cubes lost during the battle go to the graveyard and you still get that production. That is a perfect example of when it is important to colonize prior to battles.

BOb
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Takahashi
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Resolution isn't actually a player's turn though or is it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
no, it isn't
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
COLOSSUS
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also usually don't colonize until upkeep anyway.

I don't have it in front of me but I believe the rulebook says "at any time during an action"? So if an action is not taken colony ships cannot be activated. Therefore during a reaction you can use colony ships but not if you pass.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
colossus1919 wrote:
I also usually don't colonize until upkeep anyway.

I don't have it in front of me but I believe the rulebook says "at any time during an action"? So if an action is not taken colony ships cannot be activated. Therefore during a reaction you can use colony ships but not if you pass.

Checked
True
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colossus1919 wrote:
I also usually don't colonize until upkeep anyway.

I don't have it in front of me but I believe the rulebook says "at any time during an action"? So if an action is not taken colony ships cannot be activated. Therefore during a reaction you can use colony ships but not if you pass.


The rulebook alternates between 'action' and 'turn' when discussing colony ships, so I don't think we can draw definite conclusions from that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
colossus1919 wrote:
I also usually don't colonize until upkeep anyway.

I don't have it in front of me but I believe the rulebook says "at any time during an action"? So if an action is not taken colony ships cannot be activated. Therefore during a reaction you can use colony ships but not if you pass.


The rulebook alternates between 'action' and 'turn' when discussing colony ships, so I don't think we can draw definite conclusions from that.


I disagree. If you're not taking an action, you are passing (and therefore it is not your turn). If you are taking an action, it IS your turn and the cost of that action pays for your (potential) colonization.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talusproteus wrote:

I disagree. If you're not taking an action, you are passing (and therefore it is not your turn). If you are taking an action, it IS your turn and the cost of that action pays for your (potential) colonization.


Are you saying that you do not think it is a players turn when he passes?

I think a much more likely interpretation is that the distinction between a turn and an action wasn't really made when the rulebook was written.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you invade one of my systems I want to "react" to that by colonizing
those planets so I get the production... seems perfectly fine to me. Colonizing doesn't take an influence disk.

... although you can house rule it either way... I would like to hear an official ruling on whether you can colonize as a reaction in which you don't take one of the three reaction spaces with an influence disk.

BOb



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
If you invade one of my systems I want to "react" to that by colonizing
those planets so I get the production... seems perfectly fine to me. Colonizing doesn't take an influence disk.

... although you can house rule it either way... I would like to hear an official ruling on whether you can colonize as a reaction in which you don't take one of the three reaction spaces with an influence disk.

BOb


Agreed. It'd be nice to get something official.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly sure we did get something official on this about 6 months ago, but alas, I cannot find it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
I'm fairly sure we did get something official on this about 6 months ago, but alas, I cannot find it.
Same issue here. I do believe that passing is NOT an action and therefore no action and therefore no colonization.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Vanish wrote:
I'm fairly sure we did get something official on this about 6 months ago, but alas, I cannot find it.
Same issue here. I do believe that passing is NOT an action and therefore no action and therefore no colonization.


Which is funny, because I remember the ruling going the other way.

However, I am biased, as colonization is probably the thing our group is the least strict about. I usually couldn't care less if you're colonizing on MY turn, let alone whether it is technically your turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. There's a good chance that is correct since colonization is supposed to be very liberal. Guess we'll see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I lost a game badly. Very badly.

The point of this post is that our game group is EXTREMELY lackadaisical about colonization - we had players colonizing on other player's turns (with permission).

I think that even with an official ruling we would probably play the same way, knowing that we are getting absent-minded and just plain old forget what we we were going to do. As long as none of us tries to colonize a system out of turn that another player was going to colonize it is probably not an option. We cannot go more than a couple of player turns without someone saying "Hey! I was going to do that!" so we are probably playing correctly to the designer's intent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the two references I have been able to find:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10438288#10438288
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9592638#9592638

Neither has a comment by the designers themselves (that I could see in my quick scan), but one is in the official FAQ thread and I imagine it would have been corrected.

I also agree that the "intent" of the designers is pretty loose with respect to when you can colonize, and we frequently let people colonize out of turn. Not the same as a ruling, but hey.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Takahashi
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Last night I lost a game badly. Very badly.

The point of this post is that our game group is EXTREMELY lackadaisical about colonization - we had players colonizing on other player's turns (with permission).

I think that even with an official ruling we would probably play the same way, knowing that we are getting absent-minded and just plain old forget what we we were going to do. As long as none of us tries to colonize a system out of turn that another player was going to colonize it is probably not an option. We cannot go more than a couple of player turns without someone saying "Hey! I was going to do that!" so we are probably playing correctly to the designer's intent.


There's a big difference between colonization and influencing, you can't place population cubes on someone else's system so there's hardly any conflicts with that.

My main issue with this is that someone in my group wants to colonize planets the turn he is PASSING or the moment the last player left to pass their turn does so.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RawrArf wrote:
There's a big difference between colonization and influencing, you can't place population cubes on someone else's system so there's hardly any conflicts with that.

My main issue with this is that someone in my group wants to colonize planets the turn he is PASSING or the moment the last player left to pass their turn does so.


That only matters in a very narrow range of scenarios, since they can usually just do so at the start of the upkeep phase and get exactly the same effect.

The only time this question has any real impact is when:

- You have some reason to delay colonizing even after you have taken all of your actions during the round (i.e. your choice of colonization depends on the actions of others)
AND
- Someone invades one of your systems after you have taken your last action in the round.

In any other situation, the only thing you achieve by being rigid about when players can colonize is to slow down the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's clear you cannot colonize after last player passed - this is the immediate end of action phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.