Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played the game once, but I can't really figure out the purpose of drill bits.

You need to get the license to drill first.
Then after that, every asteroid you pass you drop a drill bit. And a turn later (even turns), you remove it to give you 10c?

Why bother placing drill bits? Why not just collect 10c as you pass an asteroid? You only delay the 10c for a turn at the most.

Am I missing something about drill bits here?
Can a player really place so many that he will run out of merchant spaceports (as per the rules example?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dietmar Schmid
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have up to 2 turns to place drill tokens before collecting your reward, so it can be useful to keep track.

Also, the purpose is to prevent other players from drilling : "only one drill token can be present on any particular asteroid space at one time" (rulebook, page 25).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokens being used as drills cannot be used as spaceports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there is a card or effect (I forget what) that lets a player keep the drills on the board for a longer period of time, so you would need them to remember which asteroids you are currently mining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three reasons:
- Each asteroid can be mined only once per 2 turn sequence.
- There is a reward card "back to Work", that allows keeping mined on the board.
- There is a Drill Baron Encounter card which pays $20 to the player who drills the most each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the pilots lvl 3 abilities involves drills somehow. I think you can keep them on the board and still collect the monies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks guys.
I still don't see why you'd need so many drill bits tokens, but maybe I'll just need to play it a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jttm wrote:
Awesome. Thanks guys.
I still don't see why you'd need so many drill bits tokens, but maybe I'll just need to play it a bit more.

You don't necessarily need them as drill bit tokens, since you can also use them as spaceports And in longer games, you may end up with many Ports

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.