Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I got this game at Essen 2012 and finally, on Saturday, I had a chance to play it the first time. We were 5 guys, playing mission 1 on the “Easy” level; recovery of three crystals. Piece of cake! Nobody of us had any idea of the things to come …

I was responsible for Weapons Control and the Jump Drive. We started off and our first encounter was easy. We blasted two enemy ships out of the universe, recovered the crystal and moved on. Our noses were in the rulebook nearly all the time, as the details of the various stations are not easily memorized, because of all different ideas and concepts in the game and the fact that it was way past midnight (real time, not ship time, of course) and we also had a few beers already. It is of course strictly forbidden by Starfleet Command to consume alcoholic beverages while on duty, but hey, out there in space ... on an easy mission … who cares?

Solving the torpedo puzzle was a very easy task. At most, the captain assigned me two torpedoes, and in half a minute, I was able to do the job without any trouble. Our Sensors Officer had a lot more troubles finding the right puzzle piece only by feeling it, without peeking! But we finally made it and the Tractor Beam Officer pulled the first crystal into our cargo hold.

Then we flew on, thinking this game is way too easy. The second crystal was also guarded by two enemy ships; one, I blasted out of the sky immediately, but the second one got a lock on us and fired. Our port shields broke down and we suffered heavy damage, but somehow our Damage Control Officer was able to repair most of it.

All the time I was also busy grabbing more purple cards for the final jump, as I was also the Jump Drive Operator. This mini solitaire yahtzee game in the game gave me more headaches than I thought. Manipulating the dice under the pressure of time was something I underestimated a little. And, to make things worse, the sand timer that came with my game only lasted 26 seconds instead of the promised 30. Damn the shipyard engineers at the Stronghold Space Station, who don’t care about the equipment they handle out to us space patrolmen!

However, when we flew on to recover the last crystal, our Nemesis entered the board. That was actually the first time we looked at his card and stats … oh boy, what a nasty foe. He quickly gained on us while we raced to the last sector. The crystal there was radioactive, which meant more damage to our already battered ship. I fired a few shots at the guarding ships and destroyed one of them. And then the Nemesis hit us. Blast! Our port side cracked open like a cheap tuna can, and we suffered a “5” core breach. Ouch!

The next turn was a little chaotic, but we managed to get the core breach under control and our captain played a Tachyon Capsule, which prevented one enemy ship to fire on us this turn (we assumed that the Nemesis is an enemy ship … well, that bloody thing nearly destroyed us, so it must be so). I blew the second guard ship out of the sky with a very fine torpedo shot, doing 4 damage. Sensors and Tractor Beam did a great job and recovered the crystal and our officer at the Helm tried to bring us out of the danger zone as fast as possible. Nemesis followed us … I tried to activate the Jump Drive to jump out of here, as we had already collected the three crystals, but I failed miserably. Oh boy, all these comments from the other officers, how embarrassing!

The next turn came and the captain assigned me 4 energy for the Jump Drive and 3 torpedoes. I managed to load all three tubes, but wasn’t able to impress our Nemesis. He followed us and fired – another core breach! Operating the Jump Drive with a core breach is possible, although not very easy, as you may not spend any energy. But I made it. “DAMMIT JIM, I MADE IT!!!”. With a silent “pooof” our ship vanished before the very eyes of the Nemesis and we made it home with a crippled ship, but all three crystals recovered.

“Mission accomplished, Admiral.” meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent writeup, thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! Many thanks for writing that up!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denny Dukes
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a super-fun recap, with some really funny commentary. I got a better idea what to expect in my first, upcoming game. Well done, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
uzumaki wrote:
That was a super-fun recap, with some really funny commentary. I got a better idea what to expect in my first, upcoming game. Well done, sir!

Thank you, Ensign meeple

Good luck on your first mission - and don't let your Nemesis get too close!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.