Subject: Disappointment at Memorabilia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday saw annual Winter Memorabilia Show at the NEC Birmingham UK come around again. So with my friends son and a group of his friends we turned up cash in hand and a list of target purchases to find.

After queuing for an hour to buy the ticket we trotted into main hall. I had never seen such a long queue. Sadly William Russell (Ian Chesterton) and John Levene (Sergeant John Benton) been unable to attend this time but Katy Manning was on form and a drew a steady crowed but not quite as much as 'The Hoff'.

I had made up a very large and colourful badge featuring the DWSSG game and printed a set of home made advertising flyers for the game with the intention of drumming up some new interest for the game. I spent five hours at the show and not one person asked about the game or even what the badge was about - miserable bunch.

It wasn't all a loss, as one of the car party had a flyer, I'll try again next time.

There was poor board game representation this year too. Only one stall had any board games at all (I'm not count the endless Monopoly clones). The usual CCG trader were on hand but they all seem to moving toward ordinary trading cards as the UK CCG continues to contract. But I did manage to complete a few CCG expansion for B5 STCCG and SWCCG so I'm please with that bit at least. Konami's Yu-Gi-Oh was well supported with several tables and demonstration games on hand.

I'm going to have to find a proper gaming show to attend as Memorabilia just does have the range interest it once had.

So now I just need to dust off the CD player and listen to the 'Tomb of the Cybermen' audio drama that I acquired at the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:

I had made up a very large and colourful badge featuring the DWSSG game and printed a set of home made advertising flyers for the game with the intention of drumming up some new interest for the game.

Tipped for trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Nate most kind of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
Thank you Nate most kind of you.

And another from me Dave - most kind!

You never know - keep trying!

Sorry you didn't have much fun at Mem. I normally go but wasn't fussed at the guest list this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Simon.

I only went to get Claudia Christian's signature. Thought I'd better get it as the Babylon 5 cast is dropping like flies.

Main Cast that have gone beyond the rim:
Andreas Katsulas - G'Kar
Richard Biggs - Dr. Stephen Franklin
Jeff Conaway - Zack Allan
Michael O'Hare - Cmdr. Jeffrey Sinclair

Popular guest stars:
Tim Choate - Zathras
Turhan Bey - Centauri Emperor
Majel Barraett Roddenberry - Lady Morella
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to do the convention circuit regularly and heres the trick.

You either find the table where flyers are set. Some cons have them, some do not.

Or you find a vendor willing to let you leave a stack of flyers on their table.

This way attendees are more likely to take notice and pick one up or at least glance at it.

I would allways take to a con 50 to 100 flyers. And by cons end at least 1/2 to all would be gone. And in a week to a few months someone would be writing about the game. Usually no more than 1 to 2 per con at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.