Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com

I wanted to seek input and feedback from Admins and users.
I see these posts all the time. I was not aware we were not allowed to be fans of or make others aware of games we are supporting? This was posted in the General forum under the topic of Vietnam tactical.

What is different here from the dozens of other posts so I can correct the wording?

Unfortunately my post was summarily deleted, but here is the admin email to me.

Just want to get it right for the future.
Best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
As a follow up I think this is in part for posting the update in a related module for LNL?
I posted also in the Heroes of the Blitzkrieg forum, ...is that bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame on you, you bad, bad boy.

And no discussions about the upcoming Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer, No Retreat! The North African Front, and Up Front re-prints. whistle

This is a wargame forum. We don't discuss wargames here! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:

I wanted to seek input and feedback from Admins and users.
I see these posts all the time. I was not aware we were not allowed to be fans of or make others aware of games we are supporting? This was posted in the General forum under the topic of Vietnam tactical.

What is different here from the dozens of other posts so I can correct the wording?

Unfortunately my post was summarily deleted, but here is the admin email to me.

Just want to get it right for the future.
Best.

There is a forum specifically for pubishers and developers to promote their products. They also sell advertising on the site.

Your post seems on the face of it as nothing more significant than "rah rah, send these guys money." If there had been some kind of serious attempt to discuss the merits of the product, do some historical discussion, game analysis - ostensibly the reason people come to the site - perhaps it would have slipped under the radar. As it was, it reads like nothing more than a drive-by come-on for the publisher. That would be at odds with the advertising policy.

I'm guessing as a general rule of thumb, they would prefer discussions should be aimed at talking about the games and that soliciting money should be done through buying advertising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
what ever mate, but thanks for jumping in wherever you think you can be a thorn. bravo.
Indeed I am sure as ALWAYS Mr.DOROSH, you are 100% correct, and I really appreciate your input, its all rather smashing really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
hipshot wrote:
what ever mate, but thanks for jumping in wherever you think you can be a thorn. bravo.
Indeed I am sure as ALWAYS Mr.DOROSH, you are 100% correct, and I really appreciate your input, its all rather smashing really.

Is there such a thing as a sarcasm emoticon, Kev.? Without it, I get easily confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Kluvon wrote:
hipshot wrote:

Is there such a thing as a sarcasm emoticon, Kev.? Without it, I get easily confused.

You know....I was looking for one. But the icons I saw just did not reflect the level of appreciation I have !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
I was not aware we were not allowed to be fans of or make others aware of games we are supporting?

I'd say you're mis-characterizing what the admin said. You're certainly allowed to be a fan of the game, and tell people you like it. There are designated forums for soliciting sales though; hot deals, kickstarter, etc.

[edit] I see that Michael already made this point; had I read that before posting I'd have probably just thumbed his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
The folks pointing out that this site is a business concern
are right - BGG has a right to censor anything they don't like.

Problem is, that same justification could be used to prevent
negative reviews of an advertised game, as an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

That's a fine red herring you have there, Enrico. Seen any instances of that occurring here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
hipshot wrote:
I was not aware we were not allowed to be fans of or make others aware of games we are supporting?

I'd say you're mis-characterizing what the admin said. You're certainly allowed to be a fan of the game, and tell people you like it. There are designated forums for soliciting sales though; hot deals, kickstarter, etc.

[edit] I see that Michael already made this point; had I read that before posting I'd have probably just thumbed his.

I see your point Sphere, perhaps i miss interpreted the admin email. I was just surprised, I'm not spoiling for a fight.
I am unaware of whatever forum for sales you are talking about. 90% of the games I learn about I here about here (in general). I posted a link(s) to my Tactical combat in Vietnam post. I assumed it was ok. I'm excited about the game, and REALLY want the Aussies in my collection to play.

I don't think that concept you mention has been consistently applied, across all the posts soliciting funds or discussing the raise of funds etc etc.

I think it was the explicit just $600 dollars left to raise perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say this was a more explicit attempt at getting money for a kickstarter campaign and it sits happily in the 'Up Front general'.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/889065/so-you-think-youre-re...

Maybe a little bit of inconsistency has crept in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read your post in question, and I don't think there was anything wrong with it. I learned about a Vietnam tactical game that I wouldn't have otherwise known about since I do not follow LNL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a difference between a red herring and a possible area of concern. A red herring is meant to distract you from something else. But this poster simply pointed out an area of concern that merits a little thought if we're getting into the marketing aspect of posting here at BGG.

So, I disagree that it's a red herring. It's a legitimate area of concern. Moreover, I think some of my session reports were not approved b/c they not only recorded what happened in a gaming session, but also b/c they exposed some problems/issues in games that emerged during the session.

Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

That's a fine red herring you have there, Enrico. Seen any instances of that occurring here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
foxfan wrote:
I think there's a difference between a red herring and a possible area of concern. A red herring is meant to distract you from something else. But this poster simply pointed out an area of concern that merits a little thought if we're getting into the marketing aspect of posting here at BGG.

So, I disagree that it's a red herring. It's a legitimate area of concern. Moreover, I think some of my session reports were not approved b/c they not only recorded what happened in a gaming session, but also b/c they exposed some problems/issues in games that emerged during the session.

Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

If you post a session report, with your expressed opinions as part of the play, was the rejection due to the fact it was a "review" not a "session".? Perhaps?

I've had a lot of session reports declined as well, that is why i post on a blog now and just pop a note in general or cut and paste sans images with a link. sometimes they get thru sometimes not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

Not in the least - but one shouldn't choose a justification based
only upon the commercial aspect, because a moral system based on
such will inevitably fall into trends that those who do not believe
that the market IS indeed morality will not like. Thinking should
encompass more than simplistic clips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ashiefan wrote:
I'd say this was a more explicit attempt at getting money for a kickstarter campaign and it sits happily in the 'Up Front general'.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/889065/so-you-think-youre-re...

Maybe a little bit of inconsistency has crept in here.

A lot really. First off, someone has to actually flag it to
get an admins attention - then, whomever addresses it has different
standards.

I love the principle of 'governance' by tattling. :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hipshot wrote:

If you post a session report, with your expressed opinions as part of the play, was the rejection due to the fact it was a "review" not a "session".? Perhaps?

I've never had one rejected on those grounds. Usually there are comments
as to why - bad camera work for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell the post was made in the forums for http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6542/lock-n-load-forgotte...

Is that what the kickstarter is for? If so, then it should not have been deleted. Kickstarter threads in the forums for that game are fine (like the Up Front example above). If you were promoting a kickstarter for a different game than the forums you were posting in, that that is why it was removed.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boeke
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Kluvon wrote:
hipshot wrote:

You know....I was looking for one. But the icons I saw just did not reflect the level of appreciation I have !

Well, for the $1.99 you can always use this one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not following this. Don't you have to have pics approved by mods before you can then incorporate them in sessions or reviews? I guess not, but that's what I tend to do---use pics (whether mine or someone else's) from the stable

calandale wrote:
hipshot wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
foxfan wrote:
I'm not following this. Don't you have to have pics approved by mods before you can then incorporate them in sessions or reviews? I guess not, but that's what I tend to do---use pics (whether mine or someone else's) from the stable :D

calandale wrote:

I only do video sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
First you need to clarify the acronym: It's BGG. Now you can worry about the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:

I think you're confusing issues that are only tangentially related, Mike. The admins delete posts, lock threads and approve video reviews, but aren't directly involved with approving session reports (or written reviews). If your session report was rejected, you can't blame it on censorship by the admins - it was voted down by users via GeekMod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
I'm not following this. Don't you have to have pics approved by mods before you can then incorporate them in sessions or reviews?

Users each have a personal gallery where you can directly upload images without going through geekmod. Yours is located here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/363360/foxfan

It's a good place for images for session reports, especially if there is a series of similar images showing each step of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.